Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old September 4th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Exclamation Trying to figure out the amount to feed?

I'll be starting my younger dog (8 months old) on some raw food *hopefully* saturday - he has not been feeling well the last couple of days, and will be seeing the vet on saturday morning, hes actually fasting now until tomorrow tp see if he feels any better.

I picked up some chicken thighs (still with bone and skin) and wanted to start him on that, but not sure how much he needs - he has been EXTREMELY difficult to put any weight on, and had some intestine removed two months ago, and cannot afford to lose any more weight at all.

i read in another thread that we should feed 1.5-2% of body weight is this correct? so if he is 36 pounds, he sound have about 3/4 lbs?

also, since he had surgury for Intussusception, sound i remove the bones fom the thighs until h is older?

thank you!
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

2% of body weight is usually what people start at and adjust according to individual needs. For example, my two, who have an 8-10lbs weight difference eat the same amount to maintain a healthy weight.

I'm not personally experienced with having a dog with the specific condition you have, but I do have a friend who does. She choose to grind her dog's raw food.

Remember though, if you're thinking about omitting the bone, your dog needs a proper source of calcium, either from bone, ground bone or bone meal, ground eggshell or a supplement.
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Hi pitgrrl,
the condition my dog had was the first time i had heard of it...he was just 5 months old when it happened (hes now 8 months old).
did your friends dog have this problem more than once, and did he have to be operated? how long ago was that, and does she still grind the meat for him? can she give him just about any meat, or are there certain things she avoids because of his condition?
i'm getting mixed info from the vets, who think that I am not a good dog owner unless i am feeding him their Iams vet brand
thanks so much!
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM

For puppies up until they have finished the majority or their growing 4-6% of their weight should be fed. But if you feel that your dog has finished growing then 2-3% depending on how active will keep her at a good weight. Good luck
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianna079 View Post
Hi pitgrrl,
the condition my dog had was the first time i had heard of it...he was just 5 months old when it happened (hes now 8 months old).
did your friends dog have this problem more than once, and did he have to be operated? how long ago was that, and does she still grind the meat for him? can she give him just about any meat, or are there certain things she avoids because of his condition?
i'm getting mixed info from the vets, who think that I am not a good dog owner unless i am feeding him their Iams vet brand
thanks so much!
After asking her about it, I don't think he had exactly the same problem actually, but he did have to have a section of intestine removed, hence her grinding his meat (I also feed ground bone, though not for the same reason).

For the entire time she fed raw, she fed it ground and I'm not aware of her having stayed away from any particular meats, though I know she only chicken and turkey bones.

Perhaps you could find a holistic vet in your area who is more familiar with raw feeding?