Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 31st, 2008, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Help with training my stubborn yorkshire terrorist!

Yep, yep, yep! Is she EVER stubborn. I know shes just a puppy, but OMG. I have taught her to sit, give paw and lie down(She'll only do that when theres a treat dangling over her head) Im A first time dog owner, and this is my first time training a dog. I Dont knopw how to train her to Stay, or to come. I really need to teach her these things because i really want to do agility with her (she would be peerfect for agility, Shes REAALLLYY smart, and catches on quick [I taught her to lie down in litterally 5 minutes, give paw took a day and sit took about 2 days] But shes too darn stubborn). I think ive made a huge mistake by letting her off leash when outside, She doesnt go very far away from me, but when i tell her to come, She doesnt even look at me, she just continues licking the grass, and i clap my hands, whistle, just about everything, but i cant get her attention! I loose my patience with her and i Yell, then i go pick her up and bring her inside. I know I shouldnt yell, but sometimes its just unbearable. I Need help, And please dont request i inroll her in obediance classes. Because its not possible, I would have to make a 4 hour drive just to get to one, then id have to drive 4 hours to get home, so that is out of the question. What do i do?!

Jessica and keely ()
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Magical Mystery Tour

A terrier puppy - yep, that's a recipe for stubborn! Puppy brain mixed with terrier determination - lol!

I read lots of books when we first got Voo, she's my first dog too! And she's got some terrier in her which I was repeatedly told meant I'd have a lifetime of "determination" on my hands. She's determined, that's for sure . And also sooo lovely! I'm hooked.

When we first got her, I did lots of reading about NILF/NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and we follow it which helps get Voodoo to connect with us and look to us for direction. I also read "Good Owners, Great Dogs" (by Brian Kilcommons, Sarah Wilson LOVE THIS BOOK!) and "Dog Training for Dummies", you should be able to find them at the library.

We were lucky to be able to take an obedience course. There are lots of books on obedience training and I suggest you read as much as you can. We still work 4 or 5 minutes each day with Voodoo. Continual training keeps her mind busy and 5 minutes is the perfect amount of time to work without either you or the dog being frustrated, always ending on a successful note if you can.

Good luck!

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Terriers are known to be, shall we say, a bit independant.

The single most important thing to remember about teaching the command "Come" is to only use it when you can enforce it. Every single time you say "come" and she is able to ignore you, you reinforce the fact that the command is something she only has to do when she wants.

So. Keep her on her leash and when you want her to come - say the word once and then make her come to you. You can jump up and down, clap and talk in that squeaky, fun voice, run the other way - anything you want - to make her come to you. And when she does, she gets a yummy treat and some wonderful lovin'!
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you very much, I will definatly check kthose books out and maybe they will help I really need her to learn this, I really want her to do agility! Im becomiong more passionate about the sport as i read about it more! thanks for your helpful reply!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Terriers are known to be, shall we say, a bit independant.

The single most important thing to remember about teaching the command "Come" is to only use it when you can enforce it. Every single time you say "come" and she is able to ignore you, you reinforce the fact that the command is something she only has to do when she wants.

So. Keep her on her leash and when you want her to come - say the word once and then make her come to you. You can jump up and down, clap and talk in that squeaky, fun voice, run the other way - anything you want - to make her come to you. And when she does, she gets a yummy treat and some wonderful lovin'!

thanks Alot very helpfill advice, i will definatly be keeping her thethored to me while outside now thanks!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would find a very long leash (as long as you're in a safe, fenced area a cheap one from the dollar store will do). When she wanders away, tell her to come, and gently tug the leash, reigning her in towards you. Treat and praise her for coming to you. The long leash also helps with teaching fetch.

For stay, don't expect more than a few seconds at first....it can take a while to build up to longer stays. Put her in a sit, and tell her to stay. Back away slowly, and put your hand up in front of you in a "stop" sort of motion (I have found it to be a helpful non-verbal cue). As soon as you get a few steps away and she is still staying, give her a treat and praise. If she gets up and takes off, put her back in the sit and start again. This one can take a lot of time and patience! Start in an area with no distractions, and as she learns you can move it to areas with more things to tempt her to run away on you. It also helps to do this on leash - you can step on the leash as you back away so when she breaks her stay she doesn't get very far and it's easier to redirect her back into a sit!

Since she's so young her attention span is likely not great so try to do several short, fun training sessions throughout the day. Too much at one time will just make her tune you out and she'll end up being more stubborn than ever!

Hope that helps! I taught my own dog all this stuff too so I can't say for sure it's the "right" way, but it worked for us and he does both things quite well now. I second the idea that you should do some reading on NILF training - it's a realy effective tool!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl

Last edited by Chaser; August 31st, 2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 11:59 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

babymomma, if you have a dollar store around you, most carry the long 20' or 50' leashes now, when you want her to come and she doesn't aknowledge you, give it a tiny little tug, just enough to pull her collar a touch, when she looks at you, pat your chest and say come, if she comes, treat her, if not, little tug and repeat, each time pulling her alittle closer.

My bailiey is a terrier mix too.
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:35 PM

I was taught to teach a dog to stay is when they are in a sit position you say stay and turn your back and when they stay longer you take steps farther away each time..... I am in the middle of teaching King to sit and stay and we have our good days as well as harder days...........
Old August 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest putting your puppy in basic obedience before agility. In basic obedience you will learn the best method for come (aka recall) and stay. Everyone has given you lots of great ideas but (IMO) it helps if you are in a class situation where others are having the same problem as you

After basic obedience, then you can go on to the agility classes and ENJOY!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old August 31st, 2008, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Help with training

Have you tried running away from her while saying come? Stop a significant distance from her and when she catches up tell her to sit and then praise/reward.
Old August 31st, 2008, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all so much for your help! Unfortunatly i do not have time right now to respond to each of you indevidually, But i will definatly be trying the things that were suggested Thanks alot for your help and spport!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old September 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Live well, laugh often

Hmmmm, great advice from others above. I do believe that you need to maybe learn just a little bit more patience. Keely just turned four months old so basically she has a very short attention span. It is important that you make learning things fun for her which will greatly contribute to building a strong relationship between you.

I would also recommend picking a new word for your recall exercises. Only use that word when you know that you can reinforce her behaviour (ie... only if she has a long line on). If she has a toy that she loves (squeeky toy etc) you can also use that as a reward. It is also helpful to use your recall command when the puppy is already heading towards you for something else, it can "fool" her into thinking she is obeying a command even if she was really just heading towards you to greet you etc.

Good luck and remember that puppies need lots and lots of patience!