Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 16th, 2004, 03:02 AM
banned user

Exclamation Breed information link

Hello all. I've just spent more than an hour browsing a website that I find very interesting. Seems to me it might be helpful to many who have posted, wanting to know what dog breed would be best for them, or a bit about the breed they are already considering. It gives a brief overview of the pros and cons of many different breeds. I was impressed with the author's blunt manner-right to the point, she is. (If you want something ten pages long, this isn't for you).

Just go to: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/index.html

- and click on whatever breed you are researching.

(Gosh I hope I pasted that properly)

LuckyRescue, I would be particularly interested in your opinion of this site. You've posted countless helpful links and are so experienced, Good or bad, please let me know what you think. You're a terrific compass when someone is looking for direction.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope owners of other breeds here take a look and give opinions.

I naturally looked at the pit bull page. While some of it is very good and very true, there is information being given that is incorrect.

Quote:
Most American Pit Bull Terriers are friendly, but some have protective instincts toward strangers
A pit bull with correct temperament should see everyone as their friend. These dogs were not bred to guard territory or to have a suspicious nature.
In fact pit bulls are STOLEN all the time because properly bred ones will go off with anyone!

Quote:
They can be manipulative, and many are willful, obstinate, and dominant (they want to be the boss)
Manipulative and willful - maybe. But they should never be dominant with people. Dogs with correct temperament will be submissive and very "soft" with people and do very poorly with harsh training.

The rest of it is pretty good, particularly the warnings about the hordes of horrible "breeders" out there. And this is good too:

Quote:
Young Pit Bull Terriers (up to about two years old) can be bulls in a china shop. When they romp and jump, they do so with great vigor, and things can go flying, including people
The pit bull terrier "training page" is generic information for just about any dog owner and not specific to the breed, but the information is good.

I was also impressed to see that they do not recommend Cocker Spaniels for people with young children!
Old July 16th, 2004, 11:32 AM
banned user

*jotting things down*.....Duly noted, Lucky Rescue.

You ought to get paid for this, I swear.

Thanks!
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought it was rather generic. Nothing is mentioned about having a miniature poodle with children. Parents often think a poodle looks like a cuddly, fluffy toy for kids. Poodles want to BE the kid. Poodles require a lot of grooming and upkeep that kids tend to be sporadic about and moms don't have time for. Kids can be too rough and boisterous for this small breed and they can end up really neurotic and nervous. It does say they do best in a stable, calm environment. I think they're mainly marketing their ebook!

I grew up with a Cocker. She was the best!
Old July 16th, 2004, 12:40 PM
banned user

Oh yes, I know she has a book for sale and some things point to buying the book. But I enjoyed the........hmmmm don't know what it's under now. After you select your breed, it's the first choice on the top of the list, where she just goes through quick pros and cons. Even that brief list is more research than what many first-time buyers do before getting a dog. I'm not saying I agree with everything she says about every dog. We don't even do that on this site lol.

Elsewhere on her site she goes into the pros and cons of getting a "purebred" versus a mixed breed. I'm sure the shelters would appreciate what she says on there, too.