Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Smile Hi. I'm interested in having a pet turkey or chicken.

Is there a part of this forum for people with pet turkeys or chickens? I couldn't find a "pet turkey" forum on Google, so this website sounded like a good place to check into. Thanks.
Old August 14th, 2008, 10:53 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

I don't know of a forum specifically for turkeys or chickens, i do know there are a few members here who have them at their homes. If you stick around i'm sure one of them will appear. oh and welcome.
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board Archaeopteryx! I know there are some members with chickens, some with guinea fowl, ducks, geese, and at least one with peafowl...not sure about turkeys, though...

You can post pics of your dogs and cat, just to get started, y'know...then we'll bug you for turkey (or chicken) pics later. Yes, we're pretty demanding that way!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:59 AM

Thanks. Here's my pets:

My dog Tessie:

My cat Cleo:

And here's a younger picture of my 1 year old dog Taffy:
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have a wild turkey that has taken up residence in our backyard . We named him Jake. He is very sweet, waits patiently for his seed when I feed the birds. I think he is scared of thunder, every time he hears some, he gobbles.:sad: I feel so bad for him because there has been so many thunderstorms this year.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM

We've got chickens,peafowl,guinea hens and ducks.I wouldn't keep anyone of them alone as a pet.They're too social with eachother a pair or more is fine.All of ours are pets so we get to know all of them pretty well,it's really hard to generalize any type as a great pet,we've got individual chickens who really like people others that do their own thing and like you when you've got food.The peacocks are really friendly especially our male,Bob,but they are also very loud.Guineas like eachother and tolerate us when they're hungry!The ducks are great,Halliday is commercial meat duck who was found in a park in Montreal.He is the sweetest,he comes up to you just to see you treats are a bonus for him.We also have two little call ducks that are adorable,but love eachother and we are only a food source for them.I still wouldn't recommend any of them as a housepet though,much as I love them all.
Old August 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I have a wild turkey that has taken up residence in our backyard . We named him Jake. He is very sweet, waits patiently for his seed when I feed the birds. I think he is scared of thunder, every time he hears some, he gobbles.:sad: I feel so bad for him because there has been so many thunderstorms this year.
Wow. I've heard that entire flocks of turkeys can die from a single clap of thunder. It's amazing that a wild turkey is so friendly too. When I get a turkey, I'll name him "Snoody" if he's a male. FYI - The snood is the long flap of skin that hangs down from male turkeys' beaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
We've got chickens,peafowl,guinea hens and ducks.I wouldn't keep anyone of them alone as a pet.They're too social with eachother a pair or more is fine.All of ours are pets so we get to know all of them pretty well,it's really hard to generalize any type as a great pet,we've got individual chickens who really like people others that do their own thing and like you when you've got food.The peacocks are really friendly especially our male,Bob,but they are also very loud.Guineas like eachother and tolerate us when they're hungry!The ducks are great,Halliday is commercial meat duck who was found in a park in Montreal.He is the sweetest,he comes up to you just to see you treats are a bonus for him.We also have two little call ducks that are adorable,but love eachother and we are only a food source for them.I still wouldn't recommend any of them as a housepet though,much as I love them all.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. However, birds bond the best with their human caregivers when there's only one of them. If I get two turkeys, they may be completely interested in each other, and regard me as an intruder. I want a turkey that I can pet, and one that will take a nap on my lap.
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:15 AM

If you want a pet bird you are better off with a bird that works less on instinct,turkeys,chickens etc are really flock birds they do not really bond with one bird,kept alone they are usually stressed and don't do well,we have one duck who was alone and really unhappy as pet before he came to us very scared all the time he now has a buddy and hangs out with him and the other ducks.Pick a bird that forms a strong pairbond to keep as pet.
Old August 16th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lise View Post
If you want a pet bird you are better off with a bird that works less on instinct,turkeys,chickens etc are really flock birds they do not really bond with one bird,kept alone they are usually stressed and don't do well,we have one duck who was alone and really unhappy as pet before he came to us very scared all the time he now has a buddy and hangs out with him and the other ducks.Pick a bird that forms a strong pairbond to keep as pet.
I'd be willing to have a pair as long as each of them were still bonded to me as much as a single bird would be. I've been talking to someone that has one turkey. This turkey is well adjusted and happy. She interacts well with the children and other family members. Someone else that I know has a turkey that likes to sleep on her son's lap. If two of them could both bond to me that strongly, I wouldn't mind having two. Then again, two turkeys also means more droppings.