Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 10th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Question Stumped: watery brownish spots where my cat sleeps??

Hello all:

My Problem:
My kitty Louie (female) has been leaving brownish watery looking spots where she sleeps. The spots range in size from dime to quarter, once a half-dollar. I'm obviously scared this is blood. This has been going on for 4-5 years and has been getting worse as she ages. Taken her to various vets but even with urine analysis they never seem to know for sure, just say it's probably UTI/cystitis. Her tail quivers when she pees (normal?), but no meowing or peeing outside box. Pees 2-4 times daily (normal?)

Stats:
She is approx 9-10yo (was a stray)
Had her for 8 years, always indoors, never around any other animals
Eats EVO wet and dry food, seems to drink a fair amount of water daily
Is pretty chubby, 13lbs

Treatments::
  • Her teeth/gums are healthy so bloody drool is ruled out
  • Tried antibiotics few times with no noticeable results really, except the time she seemed to actually have bladder infection and urinated outside the box.
  • She's tried the prescription diet from vet for 2 1/2 years
  • Tried PetAlive UTI free natural remedy, not sure, a little maybe? (anyone else tried it?)
  • Tried treatment for cystitis which was some form of antidepressant. I couldn't tell if there were any results because she went from being a loving and social kitty to a lethargic zombie who hid away where I couldn't check for spots.

Anyone else had this problem? If it is UTI/FLUD/Cystitis any other good suggestions or advice on long-term management? Should I just leave it if she doesn't seem in pain or could this indicate something worse?
THANKS
Old August 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
~Cat Servent~

Brown and liquid makes me think anal glands... have hers ever been checked by the vet? Have all of her nipples been palpated to make sure nothing is leaking there? I am stumped too.... and surprised the vet can't diagnose this. You've never seen a bit on her fur where it might be coming from?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I was also thinking anal glands might be a possibility. This might sound gross but have you ever smelled the spots? Are they stinky at all?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:37 PM

Gross as it is... I have smelled it and it doesn't particularly smell, sometimes faintly like urine. I didn't think too much about anal glands because I thought that only was a problem for male cats. Are anal gland problems usually recurring?
thanks
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem2413 View Post
Gross as it is... I have smelled it and it doesn't particularly smell, sometimes faintly like urine. I didn't think too much about anal glands because I thought that only was a problem for male cats. Are anal gland problems usually recurring?
Anal glands can be a problem for males or females, and for some it does tend to be a recurring issue. But now I'm doubting that it is an anal gland thing with Louie. The smell is definitely strong and stinky! Is Louie spayed?

Quote:
[*]Tried PetAlive UTI free natural remedy, not sure, a little maybe? (anyone else tried it?)
Sorry, not familiar with this.

Quote:
[*]Tried treatment for cystitis which was some form of antidepressant. I couldn't tell if there were any results because she went from being a loving and social kitty to a lethargic zombie who hid away where I couldn't check for spots.[/LIST]
Probably amitriptyline, often prescribed because idiopathic cystitis is thought to have an anxiety-related component. Something else you might want to try instead, which doesn't have any side-effects, is a Feliway room diffuser. It mimics the friendly facial pheromones cats have in their cheeks and chin.

Quote:
If it is UTI/FLUD/Cystitis any other good suggestions or advice on long-term management?
I would actually suggest ditching the dry food. For one, EVO kibble is extremely high in calories and is probably contributing to Louie's chubbiness. The other thing is that dry food, even these new grain-free ones like EVO or Core or Indigo Moon etc, is not an ideal diet for cats. It's lacking the moisture that they need (having evolved eating prey with a 60-80% water-content, cats have a low thirst drive) and this causes their urine to be more concentrated, promoting crystal formation and subsequent bladder irritation. Without a doubt, the primary factor in feline urinary tract problems is diet. Whether or not it's cystitis causing these mysterious brown spots, changing Louie's diet to only wet food certainly won't hurt, and would be better for her overall health. http://www.catinfo.org/

ETA - Forgot to mention that a couple herbal products you can try would be corn silk or marshmallow root. Both are soothing to the lining of the bladder and urinary tract.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; August 10th, 2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: forgot something