Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Owned by Saints

Back from the vet! I had to re-schedule for today.... I had too many appointments for Monday. Ooops..

Demon is still sometimes wheezy, occasionally sneezing and snotted out a huge green gob of snot when I picked him up to put him in the carrier to go the vets.

The vet said it's viral and his immune system just isn't kicking it completely. It never went away in the first place. He wants to take a watch him and see approach and not give him anymore meds. His chest is clear and otherwise he's healthy.

He opted to vaccinate him hoping it would help boost his immune system. I was hesitant to vaccinate him yet at all and I don't know if I did the right thing or not.

We go back October 1st for another checkup or earlier if anything changes.

OH and the vet figures he's only 4 months old. He still has all his baby teeth. AND he now weighs 5 pounds! YAY!
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:44 AM
chronically insane.

He has FHV-1 doesn't he?

My cat takes anti-virals when he has flare ups and it helps. Surprised your vet didn't want to do that.

Don't vaccinate him when he's this sick. As long as he isn't playing around other kittens or raccoons or something, he doesn't need his distemper or rabies vaccine yet. Wait until he's better.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am quite surprised the vet vaccinated him when he wasn't 100%.

Have you L-lysine? A co worker of mine uses that on her cats who seem to have perpetual kitty colds.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Owned by Saints

I was surprised too since he was against any vaccines the last couple times. But Demon was visably not feeling well then.

Now he acts 100% healthy... Except for the odd wheezing and sneezing. He just said his immune system is too low to completely kick the viral infection. Nothing about it being a chronic condition. He tends to give me the low down in normal terms since if he starts with vet terminology I get lost and have more questions. LOL

He did say if it's not gone in 3 weeks he wants to run some tests. What those are I don't know. It does sounds like he may have FHV-1 though from what I just read. :sad:

I looked for L-Lysine but couldn't find any. The vet should have it right? I forgot to mention it while I was there. I'm going to write everything down this time so I don't miss anything.

I think I'm starting to confuse myself. LOL
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne View Post
I looked for L-Lysine but couldn't find any.
You can get it at any health food store. I strongly suggest getting some as soon as possible because it's absolutely the best thing to use in feline herpes cases. I'm actually surprised your vet hasn't already mentioned it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Owned by Saints

I think he didn't mention it because he doesn't think it's herpes.

I'll call around the health food stores and see if I can get L-Lysine anyway. I can't hurt.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Owned by Saints

I called my vet.. I stand corrected he does think it may be FHV-1 and the upcoming tests are to confirm that.

Sorry.. I was getting myself confused.

So if he does have FHV-1 he will need to be kept seperate from my other cats correct? I was hoping to adopt another kitten close to his age so he had a buddy. But I guess that's out of the question now. :sad:
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I called my vet.. I stand corrected he does think it may be FHV-1 and the upcoming tests are to confirm that.

Sorry.. I was getting myself confused.

So if he does have FHV-1 he will need to be kept seperate from my other cats correct? I was hoping to adopt another kitten close to his age so he had a buddy. But I guess that's out of the question now. :sad:
No need to keep him separate. Honestly, more cats are probably carrying the herpes virus than not. I would still get him a buddy if you can. The key is to keep all of their immune systems strong, so feed a good quality wet food, get that lysine going for everybody (a low dose can be used preventatively, higher doses for handling symptoms), and try to keep stress at a minimum.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Owned by Saints

I'm just worried about bringing home another kitten and it getting sick. The chances of that would be pretty high right?

I've been looking at a seal lynx point Himalayan.. The original plan was to adopt Demon and get my Himi baby. Then Demon got sick and I lost my deposit.. but the kitten is still available so I could still get him. He has his first shots.. but I'm paranoid he'll get sick too. :sad:
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Owned by Saints

Ahhh.. as of lastnight my adult fully vaccinated girl Lucy has clear discharge coming from her nose. Actually more like running from her nose, she put her head down and it just ran out. :sad: I thought I was careful enough.. hand washing and keeping them seperate. So far my CRF guy isn't showing any symptoms. I guess there really isn't much point in keeping them all seperate now.

Also I spoke with the breeder of the Himi's and explained the situation. She said she got a call about a litter of Himi's that may have FHV-1. They apparently got it from their mother. Noone wants them.. but hey what's one more right. If all my cats are getting it.. what's the difference. I'm hoping to go and see these little ones sometime today. I'll keep you all posted.
Old September 15th, 2008, 08:56 AM
chronically insane.

FHV-1 is not a big deal. 1/9 of my cats has it. His brother doesn't have it. His other 2 siblings I did not keep, neighbor took one or something and the other went to the shelter to find a new home. Neither of them had it either though.

I believe recently Jack passed it to Socks because she had a runny nose and the eye discharge was the same color as Jacks. She's cleared it out mostly though. But I mean, I have a small house with up to 9 adult cats in it at a time and sometimes several kittens. This is the first time I think that one of my other cats has picked up Jacks FHV-1 in the year they've been together.

Did I mention these already?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idoxuridine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famciclovir

If I haven't already that's what my cat takes when he has a flare up. Idox. in the eyes in the form of an anti-microbial eye drop and fam. are pills cut up and he gets 1/4 pill 2x a day.

I'm very pro-adopting and anti-breeding but if you want a himi and no one else wants them you should just adopt one of them. Demon needs a friend!

Speaking of Himi's... omggggg I was working at a shelter event yesterday and there was a snowshoe/Himalayan mix with the seal point type markings. Most BEAUTIFUL kitten I've ever seen (no offense to all the other kittens out there ) I was surprised it was still there and someone hadn't already adopted her.

Old September 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ohhhhhhhh himies are my favourite. They are so loving . Lots of brushing. Do your homework on the sinus drainage issues with himies, not too bad if their wee noses aren't too pushed, but may cause problems with FHV. Hope the breeder spayed the momma .

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Owned by Saints

I think noone wants these guys because right now they don't look great. From the pics I saw they mainly have runny eyes and she said they are sneezing a bit. Enough to put people off. Honestly if I wasn't in this situation with Demon I more than likely would have passed on them too. Noone wants to bring home a sick kitty regardless of what it has. Although I knew Demon was ill when I adopted him. But I thought it would be gone with medication and that would be that.

When I contacted her asking to come out and see them.. she's like ok.. you do know they possibly have feline herpes? Yup, LOL.. then a brief silence. They are not vaccinated yet which I understand. So they are staying with mom until Oct.1st possibly longer. I told her to get them started on L-Lysine in the meantime.

These babies are seal points and flame points. I'm just going to go by personality to see which would be the best fit with the spazzy Demon.

I hear you about adopting. All the kitties I have now were adopted/saved in some way. Demon of course from the humane society. Lucy from an empty house and Fido I brought home after the 'beep' that owned them was going to drown him. He had him in the bag ready to throw it in the lake. :sad: He's the one with CRF.. he's 12 now.

Here's some pics..

Fido, Lucy, then Demon
Attached Images

Old September 15th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Owned by Saints

A couple more new pics of Demon. I love how he changes from grey to silver in different lights. He's squinting in the first pic from the flash. I never get any front shots of him since he usually turns away from the flash.

Notice his eyes and nose are clear now. Vaccinating him must have helped in some way.
Attached Images

Last edited by RaYne; September 15th, 2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Owned by Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Ohhhhhhhh himies are my favourite. They are so loving . Lots of brushing. Do your homework on the sinus drainage issues with himies, not too bad if their wee noses aren't too pushed, but may cause problems with FHV. Hope the breeder spayed the momma .
One of the kittens has an extreme face the rest are doll faced. Yes mom will be spayed.. that's the first thing I asked. There is NO way I would support her if she was just going to breed her again.
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Flamepoints are so pretty

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Owned by Saints

We decided on the Flame Point after going back and forth since we saw them yesterday. LOL

They all have goopy eyes and drippy noses. No snot or congestion.

Personality wise I think the little Flamepoint will fit in better with Demon. He's a frisky fellow.. LOL

Here's a pic.. his poor eyes. Some of the goop might be normal Himi drainage. But I'm thinking not since she said they run pretty much 24/7. This is about 30 minutes after being cleaned. :sad: Hubby woke him up with the camera flash.. he was nicely snuggled between my boobs.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Owned by Saints

Oops forgot the pics.

Does it looks like FHV-1 to you all? It seemed to be to me minus the congestion. His eyes seems to be more affected than his nose.
Attached Images

Last edited by RaYne; September 16th, 2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He is a beauty and doesn't have the extreme face so he shouldn't have too much problems with his sinues.

L-lysine should help with the virus. I would keep all your kitties on it for life.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My himie does not have regular discharge, she has beautiful clear eyes.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 16th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Owned by Saints

Will do. I've already started Demon on it now. I will be giving it to Lucy and Fido too shortly. The whole litter of Himi's is now on it.

My only concern at the moment is that the kitten will more than likely be coming to me without any shots since they are obviously not well enough to recieve any. But I kind of expected that since it was months before my vet would give Demon any either.

We had originally picked one of the extreme faced kittens. But after thinking about it.. we decided on the pictured guy. Plus I thought about what you said concerning the flat face and FHV. Not a good combo although that kitten seems to be the less affected of the bunch.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Owned by Saints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
My himie does not have regular discharge, she has beautiful clear eyes.
Ah ok.. so that is from the virus then.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That tiny button nose is so kissable

One pic is never enough though :sad:

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 16th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Owned by Saints

He wasn't really cooperating in the rest of the pics. But here's one more.
Attached Images

Old September 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,what a little sweety
I confuse easilythe other 3 cats you showed pics of,are they also yours??
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Owned by Saints

Yup that's the crew.

I know I kinda threadjacked my own thread. LOL
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:46 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
A couple more new pics of Demon. I love how he changes from grey to silver in different lights. He's squinting in the first pic from the flash. I never get any front shots of him since he usually turns away from the flash.

Notice his eyes and nose are clear now. Vaccinating him must have helped in some way.

(picture from last year when he was Demons age)

Have you cloned my cat or something? This is getting freaky!

Old September 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Owned by Saints

LOL! They sure do look alike!
Old September 17th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Rayne,for some reason I thought those cats were waiting to be adopted
Quiet a crew you got,adorable and the little one will be a gorgeous cat
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Owned by Saints

Ok questions!

How should I go about introducing Demon and the new kitten? I want it to be as stress free as possible to minimize any reaccuring symptoms.

I really don't see any need to keep them 100% seperate since they are both currently showing symptoms and we are pretty sure they both have FHV.

My major paranoia is that the kitten has no shots. I'm worried that if he has another outbreak it's going to be bad like Demons was. Although this kitten is still with momma and nursing occasionally so he should have a better immune system than Demon did.

At night they will be seperate for the kittens safety mainly and to make sure he's using the litter. Kitten in the spare room and Demon will have run of the house. During the day I was just going to let them together.. supervised of course.

Plus I'm going to shampoo the carpets (spare room expecially) and disinfect as best I can since Demon did have coccidia when he first got here and he was isolated to that spare room for a short time.

Sound good? Or is there anything I should do differently?