Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM

My dog smells like mildew...

I have a 14 year old black lab. We just moved to the Tulsa area a few months ago. The weather has been really hot (95+) and humid (68%). He's not use to this. I have to leave him outside during the day while I'm at work. We have a nice backyard, lots of shade tree's. I have one of those water nipple things on an outside fawcett which he use's as well as a 5 gallon bucket which I put fresh water in everyday. Last week I bought a small kids wading pool which I fill up in the morning with 4 or 5 inch's of water. Every night I come home and he's in the pool (under a shade tree). I dry him off before I let him in the house. The last couple of days he's started smelling like mildew (not just wet dog, I know that smell lol) I don't think its the water in the pool, I empty it and fill it every morning and its only been a week since I got it - not long enough for mildew to develop I think.

Here's my question: can he develop mildew from being wet so much? Maybe a fungus or bateria? As much as I dry him his undercoat is still damp in the morning so he never seems to fully dry out since I got the pool.

Thanks in advance,

Maxx and Wrigley
Old July 29th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Doggie Wench

Hello Max, welcome to pets.ca .

If Wrigley's coat has been wet for an entire week, I'm afraid bacteria can certainly become a problem. Is there no way you can leave him indoors with the blinds down (if you don't have air-conditioning), a fan, and lots of fresh water?
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM

I have a mean landlord who's kinda a busybody, he stops by at least once a week to check that Wrigleys not in the house. Its got to the point that I wonder why he even rented to me in the first place. Wrigley is not suppose to be in the house, outside only. I "sneak" him in at night when I get home.

Maybe some kind of antibacterial shampoo would work or something I could add to the pool water? Keeping in mind he might be drinking the pool water.

Maxx and Wrigley

Last edited by Maxx; July 30th, 2008 at 01:34 AM.