Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sharing....'I want to quit'

Long read but WELL worth it.......

I want to quit!
My health is bad. There are days I feel so terrible that I can
barely move. My phone bills are outrageous, and I could have replaced my van
with the funds I have spent these last 3 years---on animals that were not my' own.

I want to quit!
I spend hours and hours emailing about dogs. There may be 500
messages when I start---and at 4 AM, when I finally shut down the computer,
there are still 500 emails to be read.

I want to quit!
Gosh, I haven't the time left to email my friends. I can't
remember the last book I read, and I gave up my subscription to my local
newspaper---I used to enjoy reading it, cover to cover, but now it often
ends up in the bottom of the squirrel's cage---unread.

I want to quit!
I've spent days emailing what seems like everyone---trying to find a
a foster home, help for a dog languishing in a shelter---but his time has run out,
and the shelter has had to euthanize to make room for the next sad soul.

I want to quit!
I swear, I walk away from my computer to stretch my legs---let the dogs
out---and come back to find another dog in desperate need. There are times I really
dread checking my email. How will I find the funds, the help, to save yet another dog?

I want to quit!
I save one dog, and two more take its place. Now an owner who doesn't want
his dog---it won't stay in his unfenced yard. An intact male wanders..... This bitch got
pregnant by a stray... This 3-month-old pup killed baby chicks... The dog got too big....
This person's moving and needs to give up his pet. I ask you, friends---what town, what
city, what state doesn't allow you to own a pet?

I want to quit!
I just received another picture, another sad soul with tormented eyes that peer
out of a malnourished body. I hear whimpering in my sleep, have nightmares for days...

I want to quit!
Many of the "Breed People" don't seem to want to hear about these dogs. Breeders
either don't realize, or just don't care, how many dogs of their breed are dying in shelters.

I want to quit!
I just got off the phone. "Are you Pyr Rescue? We want to adopt a male to breed
to our female." How many times do I have to explain? I have tried to explain about genetics,
about health and pedigrees. I explain that rescue NEUTERS! I usually end up sobbing, as I
explain about the vast numbers of animals dying in shelters across the country, as I describe
the condition many of these animals are found in. I wonder if they really heard me...

I want to quit!
It is not like I don't have enough rescues of my own to worry about---but others have
placed dogs improperly and aren't there to advise the new owners.

I want to quit!
There ARE some unscrupulous rescues out there---hoarders, collectors, and folks
who will short change the care of the animals to make a dollar. The save them all, regardless
of temperament, putting fellow rescuer's and adopters at risk but not being truthful.

I want to quit!
I have trusted the wrong people--- had faith and heart broken...

I want to quit!
AND THEN... My dog, Magnus, lays his head in my lap, he comforts me with his
gentle presence---and the thought of his cousins suffering stirs my heart.

I want to quit!
AND THEN... One of those 500 emails is from an adopter. They are thanking me
for the most wonderful dog on earth---they cannot imagine life with out their friend---their life
is changed, and they are so grateful.

I want to quit!
AND THEN... One of my adopted Rescues has visited a nursing home. A patient
that has spent the last few years unable to communicate, not connecting---Lifts his hand to
pat the huge head in his lap, softly speaks his first words in ages--- to this gentle furchild.

I want to quit!
AND THEN... A Good Samaritan has found and vetted a lost baby, "I can't keep him,
but I'll take care of him until you find his forever home."

I want to quit!
AND THEN... "Jamie took his first steps holding on to our Pyr." "Joan, you should
see this dog nursing this hurt kitten!" "I was so sick, Joan, and he never left my side..."

I want to quit!
AND THEN... I get an email from a fellow rescuer, "Haven't heard from you in a while---
you OK? You know I think of you..."

I want to quit!
AND THEN... A dozen rescuers step up to help, to transport, to pull, and to offer
encouragement. I have friends I have never seen, but we share tears, joys, and everything in
between. I am not alone. I am blest with family of the heart, my fellow Rescuers. Just days
ago it was a friend who shared her wit and wisdom, whose late night email lifted my heart.
Sometimes it is friends who only have time to forward you a smile. Often, it is my friends
who forward me the notices of dogs in need..

There are Rescuers who see a failing transport and do everything they can to find folks to pull it together for you.
Rescuers who'll overnight or foster your Dog while you seek transport.
There are Rescuers not used to or comfortable with your breed, but who put aside their discomfort to help.
There are Rescuers whose words play the music of our hearts.
Foster homes that love your Rescue, and help to make them whole again---body and spirit.
Foster homes that fit your baby in, though it may not be their breed.
Rescuers whose talents and determination give us tools to help us.
Rescuers we call on for help in a thousand ways, who answer us, who hear our pleas.
Rescuers who are our family, our strength, our comrades in battle.
I know I cannot save every Pyr [sub sibe] in need.

I know my efforts are a mere drop in a sea. I know that if I take on just one more---those I have will suffer.

I want to quit!
But I won't. When I feel overwhelmed, I'll stroke my Magnus's head while reading my fellow
Rescuers emails. I'll cry with them, I'll laugh with them---and they will help me find the strength to go on.

I want to quit!
But not today. There's another email, another dog needing Rescue.

This piece is dedicated, with love and gratitude, to all my fellow Rescuers.

Author: Joan C. Fremo
Published on: May 16, 2001
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:38 PM

This was the most touching post. I cried. I think that rescuers who have the animal's best interest at heart are people to be admired and respected for their efforts.

I have been thinking about becoming a foster parent for animals. I can't take any more on full time, but I would be willing to love them until a home could be found for them.

How do you go about doing this? What does it entail?

Thanks for sharing this, it touched my heart.

Cheri
Old July 10th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hello Cheri

Contact rescue groups in your area. Maybe you can get some advise from people on here about those that are reputable.

There are lots of them listed on www.petfinder.com

Click the link that says rescue and select your state, all the names of the rescues will pop up.

If I were you I would start a new thread and title it

Wanting to foster (and your state)
Old July 11th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Luba,thank you for posting this,it read like a poem,wonderfully written..brought me to tears
I salute all the unsung heroes out there,who give their lives and love to an unending supply of unfortunate,misstreated,abused animals.
I am sure the rewards are heartfelt for every dog placed in a forever home,only to find there are more and more desperate animals in dire need.
Every"drop in the bucket"is worth a million cheers!
Old July 11th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

How I can relate to all that. It does seem hopeless and sometimes I just don't want to hear about any more animals in desperate need. I feel good about cats we get homes for, then come here and see 5 people allowing their cats to have litter after litter and think "What's the use? We can never EVER make a dent in the homeless population with so many morons out there!"

But then a cat like Comet comes along. A 10 yr old Fox terrier dumped comes along and they both get wonderful homes. That's the only thing that keeps me doing this!

Coopersmom, if you want to foster, look into rescues in your area. Find out everything you can about them - how proactive they are about finding homes for their fostered animals, what kind of checks and contracts they use, how many animals they have at one time, etc....and be careful!
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OMG LR I think you and I need to read this 10 times today after all of the poop that happened today!

Getting cursed at, called psychotic told we break up marriages

What were we trying to do again...oh ya, help
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I need a drink! Actually when I feel like throwing in the towel after all the irresponsible and nasty morons we deal with, I just have to look at something like this. Mr. Magoo - living a life of neglect and finally abandoned in an empty apt at age 13 and left without food or water for 5 days, and with bad teeth and a heart murmur. He was minutes away from being killed, and now he is such a cherished pet his new owner calls very often to thank us for the gift of this funny old fellow.
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I remember you talking so much about him. I"m glad they keep in touch. It's nice to know how they are doing after everything they've been through.

I need a drink too but lemonade will have to suffice because I don't drink alcohol. Maybe I'll stiffen it up with some Lime and be a real tuffie HAHA!

(((HUGS))) LR
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

ooooh! LIME!! Are you sure you can handle that??

Without a nice glass of wine waiting for me at the end of the day, life would not be worth living!
Old July 11th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Peggy if I ever feel like a glass of wine my friend, I'd love to share a bottle with you!

Need a laugh............
Attached Images

Old July 12th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Luba & LR, I didn't want to post on Sweetums' thread because he doesn't deserve any more attention. You gave him plenty of rope and he hung himself - the true self emerged. Just want you two to know I think you're doing a terrific job and I really admire both of you. Please don't allow some moron to push your buttons. I read all the posts and am always amazed at the way you explain the same things over and over and go out of your way to help pets. Just concentrate on your successes and at least know you tried! You are appreciated!
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes nice post LR, nothing like a good cry to start the day at 6:00 am.

My hat goes off to all resuers I never realized the work all of you do until I came here to petsca the world needs more kind rescuers like all of you. IF I WON THE LOTTERY I WOULD BUILD THE BIGGEST RESCUE EVER and pay off some politition to start changing the laws
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thanks very much!

Today is a new day and that's all behind me now!
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

Atta girl!
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Thumbs up inspiration and truth

Luba,

You amaze me, I've only just began to reply to the posts and have been reading them for a couple of weeks. If ever I could muster enough strenth as you do the world for many dogs would be an even better place! You do such a tremendous job of caring please don't forget to care for yourself. You are a beautiful person , you have inspired me to ACT! I have 3 dogs, have taken a year off work, burned out, and want to do something real with my life. Poor is better than having money ( especially when you work you have no time to spend it, except on bills). The reward that you talk about at the end of the day ( I believe someone mentioned a glass of wine?) when your own dog sends you an appreciative thanks is what is real.
Lat me say that i've done a lot of thinking these days and i do realize that when i'm old and retired I wont remember those few times I went hungry or didn't pay the phone bill, but i will feel like i helped save lives. And that's inspiring. Hat off to you Lady!
take care girl!
Laurie
Old July 14th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh Laurie bless your heart!

I'm not alone here though there are many that do much much more then I do. I only have my little contribution but atleast it feels like something huh!

I really like what you said, and you did say it so very very well!

I've been off work myself, for health reasons and I find that volunteering my time while I start my own business has made me feel better inside then I ever thought possible.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Smile Thanks to all the heros!!!

Thank you to all those who don't quit. You are the true heros.

Even though it seems the advice you give often falls on deaf ears, know that many pets are alive because of you.

Many owners have learned much because of you and share what they have learned with others.

Many pets have been spayed/neutered because of you which stops the generations of suffering strays from particular pets.

Many pets won't be bred because of you.

Many will be adopted from shelters and rescues because of you.

Even though it often seems the fight is against the tide, in reality hundreds of thousands of individual pets are living better lives because of people like you.

We cannot help all the animals but we can help hundreds of thousands of them. That's a lot of help to a lot of needy animals.

To all those who give so freely on this and other sites, you have my absolute gratitude. Words cannot expess the deep admiration and appreciation I feel for your selfless work.

I wish you all the warmest thoughts and I hope you never quit.

Sincerely, sincerely sincerely,

Marko (admin)
Closed Thread