Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 6th, 2008, 01:44 PM

Question Dog is sick again. Same problem or something more serious?

This is long because I wanted to give all the details, but hereís the quick summary:
My dog has been sick with diarrhea on and off again for about a month. I am concerned that he may have a serious stomach or intestinal disease because this happened when he was a puppy, too. Read on for the details.

My dog is a 3 1/2 yr. old yorkie. About a month ago he got sick one night with diarrhea. The next day he had loose stools and vomited once. There was no change in diet and his high energy level and cheerful disposition did not change. A day or two later, the same thing happened to my momís dog, so I assumed it was a bug they'd caught.

Since then, my dog has had sporadic loose stools and diarrhea (twice one week, none the next, once the following, etc). He has not vomited again and his diet, energy level, and overall demeanor have not changed. The other dog has not been sick again.

My dog was licking his back end last night and today had very loose, mucous feces. I fed him chicken broth and noodles instead of his regular dog food because of the mucous feces (this is what I was told to do when he was sick as a puppy). He threw up the chicken broth, but the noodles seemed to stay down. He had uncontrollable diarrhea within 20 minutes of eating. He has been panting and feels warmer than usual. He then started frantically trying to climb into my lap. He started panting heavily and then peed on my lap. He has been dry heaving and wonít drink much water. He doesnít seem to have any bladder control and has peed in the house twice more. His energy level has gone up and down throughout the morning.

I called my vet, but they are closed today. He is doing better right now so I have not taken him to the emergency clinic, but I am monitoring closely in case it worsens.

He got very sick as a puppy with similar, more severe symptoms, after being neutered. The vets could not figure out what was wrong with him and tried all different meds (none worked) for nearly a month. He dropped from 6 pounds down to 4. I finally took him to a different clinic; they said he had some sort of stomach problem (I donít remember the term they used, gastric or colon something) and gave him medicine/antibiotics that worked. He has been healthy since then, until this started about a month ago.

I am taking him to the vet tomorrow, but am hoping for some thoughts on this before talking with the vet.

Thank you in advance.
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:48 PM
MiniMomma

I am not an expert...

Has he been dewormed lately???? He could have some parasites causing this problem. This would explain the itchy bumb as some loose stool.
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I don't have any theories as to the cause but I'm sure other members will be along in a bit to offer some advice.

I'm just wondering just how much is he not drinking and for how long? I'm not sure where you are but in my area it is quite hot today and I would be very concerned about dehydration, which could become enough reason for the emergency vet in and of itself. Maybe try some ice or popscicles to encourage getting some water in him? I also know there are recipes on the internet for homemade pedialyte that is safe for dogs and will keep his electrolytes up, so try Googling that or using the search tab on this site...I think the recipe is in an old post somewhere.

And regarding the itchy (and likely burning) bum - when my friend's Dane had awful dhiarrhea (sp?) she found rinsing his bum with cold water (or a cool washcloth) eased the discomfort a little for him.

for your little guy and hope he is feeling better soon. Please seriously consider a trip to the e-vet if he worsens at all or you can't get fluids into him.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Thank you so much for the quick response. He had his annual check up in March...I don't know if he was dewormed then or not? I ziplocked a little stool sample for the vet to check out. I gave him some ice which seemed to help; if he seems to get worse I'm going to try the pedialyte. The strange thing about this all is that it's on and off. After waking from a nap (only a couple hours after the diarrhea and vomit), he seemed 100% back to his old self again. He's drinking water, playing and running around. I am still taking him to the vet tomorrow because with the way this last month has gone it is likely to happen again soon. Thank you again for all your help!
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You might want to have him tested for giardia if he hasn't been already. Also have them check for campylobactor...we've seen sporadic diarrhea with both of these.

I hope your boy is better soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."