Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 8th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Senior Contributor

soy

Ok, since there are carnivores and herbivores on this site, I need your opinions on SOY and soy products. I've heard both good things and bad things, especially for women. Opinions anyone???

I'm trying to lose weight before my wedding, and some people have told me to substitute soy instead of meat, and others have told me NO, its sooo bad for women - extra estrogen, not fermented, etc.

I'M SO CONFUSED!!! HELP!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old July 8th, 2004, 07:43 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Soy is 'good' for you my dear.

When is your wedding?

The estrogen is plant based not human hormone based and it actually helps to lessen the severity of your periods (I know got endo ugh). Helps with mood swings as well.

If you're trying to lose weight, just eat the right type of meats if you're a meat eater.

What is bad for you is non organic meats and dairy products.

Growth hormones are in your meats and dairy, whether it be cheese, milk or beef and chicken. If you don't want to switch to organic meats (only because it's a little more pricey...but it does taste much better too) then don't eat red meats only eat chicken and turkey, grain fed atleast and cut the skin and fat off.

Fish is great, especially salmon.

IF you like dairy get non fat or low fat dairy products IE skim milk and cheeses, because the growth hormones retain in the fat part of the food. No fat or low fat = less growth hormone the animal was given.

I drink soy protein shakes every single day! I have them either as a meal replacement if I'm not hungry or just before/after I workout or do yoga. It builds muscle.

IF you want to build muscle you should have some source of protein within 2 hours of exercising, weight lifting. Boiled eggs, chicken breast, protein shakes whatever you like.

Whatever you do DON'T do any crash diets or drastic changes just before your wedding. Do gradual ones...dietery changes if even for the good can cause you to break out because your body is shedding toxins through it's skin. Kind of a cleansing if you will.

Reduce your carbs but don't cut them out. If you like pasta, get whole wheat and only have it once a week. Breads, buy whole grains or whole wheat flat bread and make wraps.

Above all, eat your greens and brightly coloured fruits and veggies. Drink water to help cleanse and hydrate the body.

Ok I've babbled enough, if you got any questions let me know or pm me!

If you are a pop drinker 'stop'
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

You ROCK Luba Booba!!!
1) Wedding is April 2/05
2) We don't eat a lot of red meat, mostly chicken and on occasion hamburger (extra lean) and even rarer, steak (it is BBQ season!!), and we eat pork quite a bit.
3) I don't eat a lot of bread, if I get a burger or something I usually have it without the bun. We also eat whole wheat pita, which I think is better than bread. Whole wheat pasta - most of the time (I am guilty of getting non just because it is on sale!)
4) I don't drink pop - gave it up for Lent about 6 years ago and haven't gone back. I drink Iced Tea (I know, it has sugar but I also drink a lot of water, but not enough - I will work on that!!) We drink 1% milk, and rarely eat cheese or other dairy products.
5) Am trying to eat more fruits and vegies but that is hard since I am allergic to several - severe enough to need an epipen What I can eat, I do eat, and I drink Tomato juice as a snack when I'm "munchy"
6) I walk Brick an hour a day, sometimes more, plus I swim 3 times a week (sporadically right now as my swim partner is out of town)
7) My doctor suggested I try the South Beach Diet (crazy eh??) but I'm leery of that one too. A friend of mine did the Atkins and now has permanent liver damage.

Ok, I can't really remember what it was about Soy that was bad, something about it not being fermented and it rots out your insides?!?!? I can't remember. So if I got a soy protein shake mix I could use that for breakfast and as snacks?

Phew..how's that for a lot of personal info??? LOL

Ok, found the link that disses soy.....what do you think?? Crap or not??
http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:

Last edited by Catt31; July 8th, 2004 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added link
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I was looking at the South Beach Diet. What does it do? I mean what does it consist of? I know what the Atkins is but was not so sure about the other. Thanks for your help?

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old July 8th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

A few of the ladies at work are on the South Beach Diet, and they swear by it...but I dunno yet, I'm not convinced!! It goes in 3 phases...the first is absolutely NO carbs, then you slowly introduce certain carbs back into your diet. It gives you tons of recipes and such to make your own "rice" which isn't rice, or pizza's, which aren't wheat products. I'm not really sure what they are, but the girls say its good. One lady lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I don't know a whole lot more about it, but I'm guessing it is similar to Atkins, but maybe not quite as severe, as you do add carbs back into your diet. Someone else may have a better idea, but thats what I know!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Dieting essentially sucks!

Differ your lifestyle and way of eating instead of going on diets.

Soy myths suck, everyone has something bad to say about something...especially if you're a pop company funding the survey (for instance)

Iced Tea is loaded with sugar I mean LOADED! You've gotta wean yourself off that one!

Protein shake you can use as a meal replacement for breakfast YES.

Cut down or out your red meat and junk the hamburger. Go for fish, chicken and turkey. Turkey chili anyone? It's really good!!

You have a health food store near you? See if they sell Knudds, it's an organic 'soft drink' alternative and tastes really good Lemon Lyme is my fav.

Buy from the health food store:

Soy protein powder
Greens Plus Powder (since you can't get all your veggies and fruits)
Soy Milk, I like SoNice vanilla for my shakes it's good
Organic liquid honey

For your shake you're gonna use
2 1/4 cups of soy milk (roughly)
1 banana (tell me you can have bananas')
1.5 tablespoons of greens plus
1 heaping tablespoon of protein powder (soy)
1 or 2 tablespoons of honey (or just a bit more ) better then sugar

*Add a teaspoon of ground flax seed OR
a couple of tablespoons of allbran for 'the inners

I'm craving one now, gotta go get my soy milk, I ran out LOL

BTW starving your body of carbs really reduces the amount of energy you have. You've got a long way to go for your wedding You'll be set!

Ever consider yoga?
Old July 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM

I swear by soy! Plus, they did a study a few years back and found that soy protein actually reduces the risk of heart problems in men. Try to get that guy of yours eatting it as well!

Re diets - let's face it, there is no "magic bullet" like everyone is after. It really comes down to eatting sensibly and no binging. Everyone wants the "answer" or a diet that lets them eat without thinking about how much they are eatting. These fad diets restrict out certain foods and then once you reintroduce them, you have no idea about portion sizing or anything else anymore and *presto* all the weight plus more comes back!

I have been asked so many times in the past what "diet" I follow - my answer - NONE! I just eat sensibly and listen to my body to tell me when it is hungry and, most importantly, when it is FULL. Add plenty of exercise (not just the gym - moving all the time such as walking to work, walking dog, hiking, riding horses, etc.) and voila, no need to jump on every dieting bandwagon that shows up!

Good luck and congratulations on the wedding!

Michelle
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks girls!!! Does anyone have a good website that promotes soy?? I'm going to have a hard time convincing Tim that its not "bad"!!

Yep I can have bananas, so far!! I made the list and will head to the health food store after our walkies!!! Brick is getting antsy!! THANKS!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 8th, 2004, 02:58 PM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Here's a few:
http://www.geocities.com/virtuesofsoy/
http://www.soyinfo.com/
http://www.notmilk.com/
I'll also check at our animal rights discussion forum. There may be some info and links there, if there is, I'll post for you
Old July 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

http://www.talksoy.com/Health/HealthFactsSheets.htm

GREAT study info there research based, Tim will like that!

HI BRICK from his girlfriend!! He's not still ignoring her is he?
How can he ignore her at this time? Ahh because she can't
give him babies
Old July 8th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

oh no, poor tim. dont do it to him. poor bugger. soy is very good for you, but i personally find drinking soy to be like drinking sandy water, it isnt very smooth or tasty (im a big milk drinker).
my advice for weight loss, they say that woman focusing on and trying to loose weight for a wedding do themselves some harm. they say if you focus the thoughts on long term health and weight loss it will work better, if you think about it too much it will slow the loss, studies have shown after the wedding the woman looses more weight because she isnt focused or worried about it, but the same study showed woman that were not to overly concerned about weight loss (either way they are happy people) actually lost more weight before the wedding.
but im not saying it isnt a concerne, hey i starved myself senseless for months for the wedding, lost more after though which really got up my nose;. i know the pressure, but think long term health and i reakon you will get better results. yay i love weddings (no i hate dieting )
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

LMAO Mel!!! Thanks for the links everyone!! They will help!!! I'll show them to Tim tonight!!! I'm not totally focused on losing weight FOR the wedding, it is for life, but that is giving me the incentive to get off my ass!! Tim and I could both afford to lose a few Walking Brick is totally helping, cuz he won't let me be lazy.... he is a pest, so I think he knows his role in this game!!! Smart dog!!! LOL

Brick isn't ignoring Sadie, he sympathizes with her now that she's had surgery! He can relate! At least Sadie isn't reminded each time she licks herself about the "parts" that she is missing.....Brick has to look at his little raisin sack each day! They can just have fun in the sun, with no worries of little Bricks or little Sadies!!! LOL (we're terrible) LMAO

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den doesn't have a little "raisin sack"! Nothing! Nada! Just nice and neat. Can't say it's a thing of beauty anyway!
Old July 9th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Actually, when he stretches out in his puppy "frog-dog" position, It's soooooooo much more comfortable!
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

raisin sack LMAO!!
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Someone else told me that...that they sew it up nice and neat, no raisin sack left to view. But for some reason, my vet didn't.....its not very big, but I'm sure its hard on Brick's ego!! Poor boy!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sadie is my first girl, all others have been boys ...and they had it pretty easy going man!

Sadie is doing much better today, she wanted to stretch with me but I wouldn't let her LOL No yoga for you young lady until you're all better!
Think she listened NOT!
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

There was a bit of a loose pucker when it was first done. After a few months it just smoothed out. Maybe as he grew and filled out?
Old July 9th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Catt31,I have several friends who have been on different diets,lose weight and gain it right back.
I believe as with everyting,moderation is the key,you don't have to leave the dinner-table feeling so stuffed you cannot move,smaller portions and no seconds will make your tummy adjust and you'll be surprised how much weight you loose.Eat what you like and you'll be a happier person,just in moderation
Somehow the soy-bit sounds terrible,how could you possibly replace a real burger with Tofu
But if you can,good for you!!!It's just not for me.
Ooops,I see we are talking about raisin-bags,my kitties don't have any,just little furry buttons....so cute
Old July 9th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you like burgers just make them from ground turkey ..it tastes sooo good!

I use ground turkey in chili, lasagne, burgers, taco's, other pasta dishes...it's really very good. You can season it soo nicely
Old July 10th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Mmmmmmm, sounds good!!! I will try that next time I'm at the grocery store!! I've tried Tofu, and I can't eat it either! Ugh!!

I wonder if he still has a raisin sack cuz he was 3 when he was neutered?!?!?!?
Who knows!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old July 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

The trick to tofu is to mix it with other highly seasoned foods. It has hardly any flavor of its own and absorbs flavors from what it's cooked with.

Grilled tofu with grilled red bell peppers,grilled eggplant, on foccasia - Yummmmmmmmmmm!
Old July 10th, 2004, 01:00 PM
banned user

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Stay away from Atkins. Very dangerous, puts your body into a state of "ketosis", which is just terrible for many things, worst of all for your kidneys.
One day of Atkins gave me a seizure because of the sudden drop in carb-related sugar levels and ketosis. And no, I'm not diabetic or hypoglocemic.
The South Beach diet is just "Atkins Lite". Safer for the body, though.
You've already said that you're cutting carbs, and that's what my doc says to do. Just cut DOWN on carbs. You will see a significant difference. I hope you're not allergic to grapefruit. Grapefruit is a natural fat burner. My ex is a boxer, and if he would weigh in too heavy, his trainer would have him drink 100% natural (no sugars or flavorings added) grapefruit juice for a week, and one week later he would weigh in properly- losing up to eight pounds. Grapefruit juice and lots of water. I tried the grapefruit juice (red grapefruit), and my metabolism increased and I began losing weight immediately. I had lots of energy. I mean, LOTS. One more thing- it takes the brain up to thirty minutes to get the signal to the stomach that it is FULL. That means we usually eat past the point when we are truly full. If you simply slow down- chew your food really well and pause between bites- SLOW DOWN- we end up giving the brain the proper time to tell us that we are full- and we eat far less. I tried this, too, and it works. I was always known for "speed-eating". I ended up eating HALF of what I usually eat, just by SLOWING DOWN.
On a parting note: if you are happy about getting married, happy in your relationship- you will shine, no matter your weight. Nothing looks more beautiful on a person than true contentment.

Best of luck to you
Old July 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM
banned user

Oh yes- I forgot to mention- I am living testimony to the fact that soy is a natural hormone balancer. When I get moody, my son often jokes: "Mom, have you not had your soy milk today?". I drink chocolate or vanilla soy, which is delicious. I avoid those that are sold off the shelf and not refrigerated, as they are full of preservatives. If it can't spoil- avoid it!
I also eat shelled soy beans ("edemame"), YUMMY, boil them for five minutes and just add salt. They're addicting! At any rate, there is a GLARING difference in my moods, my skin (breakouts) and my water retention when I do not have some form of soy EVERY DAY. I've tried hormone therapy from my ob-gyn but the side effects are terrible! Soy has none, and it does work.
Old July 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

True cactus flower, I have endometriosis and use soy to balance my hormones as well!
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Chocolate

I buy "So Nice" soy milk, not "So Good."

and I've GAINED weight this yr. (might be the Nutella I've started buying and eating by the spoonful... I don't know... )