Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM

possible hip displasia

I recently got a 12 week old german shepherd and I can,t figure out what is going on with her hips. She doesn,t seem to limp and does not appear to be stiff, However, when laying down "frog legged" or if you grab her or rub too hard on her back end she welps. Is this something I shouild be concerned with?
Old June 29th, 2008, 01:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Dysplasia can show up that early in a dog. We had a setter who was falling down crying due to elbow dysplasia at age 9 weeks. :sad:

Your dog doesn't necessarily have hip dysplasia, however. It could be anything from a muscle pull to back problems to dysplasia. A full evaluation by a vet is in order.

Good luck with your pup, iggly2. I hope it's nothing serious!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Years ago, we had a samoyed. When she was a pup I knew something was wrong with her back end. The vet said no she was fine. We lived in the Yukon and the only vet did not have any equipment. I insisted on an X ray. So we had to wait for an X ray machine to come in. When it arrived she had an X ray and it turned out that she did have hip displaysia (sp??) The vet told my husband that he was surprised that this was so. (He was new out of school and we were so glad to have a vet) She lived to 13 years of age. No operations available at that time.

The moral of the story is, if your dog is yelping when you touch an area, there is something wrong. The only way to find out what it is, is thru the vet.

Good luck and please let us know how you make out.
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Live well, laugh often

I would also recommend having your pup checked over by a vet. It could easily just be some soreness due to something else but in the event that it is displaysia then the breeder should be notified immediately as well as you can start some preventitive treatments.

Goodluck .
Old July 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM

A vet visit is a good idea

Does this only happen when laying frog legged? could just be in that position any pressure on the legs is abit painful, since it is not a normal laying position for GSDs

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Since you just recieved this pup,a vet check is in order anyway

Any time you get a new pup, you should always take it to your vet to get checked.

Other then when you grab or rub her back end to hard(please be gentle),does she yelp?

Actually growler,2 of my 3 GSD's layed like this when they were pups.For some reason they were comfortable this way.
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Tamer of the Furgang

Think of it this way: If you do the splits and someone pushes down on you, it would hurt. When your dog lies down in this frog-like position it's like doing the splits for him too. The bones/cartilage/joint of a dog that age are still very much in the growing phase and very vulnerable to injury. Taking an x-ray of a dog at that age would also not be very conclusive, as the dog is still growing. Large breed dogs just have to be raised very carefully and can not be overworked until they are at least 1 1/2 years old. Hip x-rays are more conclusive at age 2, unless you have an injury present and a x-ray needs to be taken for diagnostic purposes.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old July 1st, 2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
Actually growler,2 of my 3 GSD's layed like this when they were pups.For some reason they were comfortable this way.
Thanks for the correction Mona I didn't know it was normal for this breed

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure it's normal.LOL...They stopped laying like that when they got a bit older.
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I know many people who have large breed dogs that love to lay all frog legged. It shouldn't be painful.

I would get a vet check and get x-rays done. While it is difficult to tell if a dog has the milder forms of hip dysplasia before the age of two, if your dog is having skeletal hip issues at this age, you would be able to tell in an x-ray.

If this is, indeed, your problem - you need to contact the breeder immediately. It is extremely rare to have a young pup with hip problems from parents who have had their hips checked and cleared.