Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:12 PM

2 English Bulldogs

I have two English Bulldogs both neutered one 7 and one 3.

Both know to go outside to do their toilet particulars. They have a dog flap and a run to go into which they both use.

However they both seem to wee in their mudroom constantly both on their bedding, around their water bowls, and pretty much anywhere they like.

Anyone have any ideas how to put a stop to this behaviour as it is driving me potty.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Live well, laugh often

Is this a recent development? If so, then I would definately recommend a vet visit to rule out any urinary tract infections or other causes.

Do you clean the area with a enzyme cleaner? It is very important to eliminate all scent from that area as it just makes them more prone to reuse the area.
Old June 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM

They have done it since we got them to be honest. They seem to ease off for a while and then it starts again.

I haven't tried an enzyme based cleaner I have used regular floor cleaners.

Do you have any recommendations?
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Molly's mama

are they both males? And the 7 yr old has been doing this for 7 years!?
How large is the run that they use to do their business? If it's not very large, maybe they are bored of going in the same small space and are choosing new territory instead? Very strange that they would pee on their bedding and food dishes though.
How much exercise are they getting each day? Maybe they are doing it out of boredom.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:54 AM

2 english bulldogs

hi, im new, but i also have 2 english bulldogs, my male Chevy is 15 mths old, and my Female Luna is 12 mths. i havent had a problem with them peeing on bedding, of course they did have few accidents when they were younger.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM

we have had them both for 3 years the older one was a rescue and we got the other as a puppy.

They were both neutered about the same time. They go for a walk once a day
either AM or PM depending on the weather mainly PM in winter AM in summer as it is cooler the older one struggles to go far.

They do use the run it seems to be if it is raining or after they have been put to bed. Although we did use an enzyme cleaner and we seem to have had 3 pee free days so far.
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

The enzymed cleaners can work well but you have to be sure the area stays wet/damp for at least 24 hours to gain maximum benefits. The enzymes need time to work on the urine.

Another great cleaner is hydrogen peroxide - you put a spray bottle top on a large bottle and spray the areas really well. HP is great at neutralizing organic matter.

The bigger problem is behavioral. I doubt they both have UTI's at the same time. They are treating the mudroom in the same manner as the run - they don't care that one is inside and one is outside - its all territory to them.

You, as the leader, own all of the territory and tell them where they can go. If they start to soil YOUR territory then something is out of balance. You would do well to start doing more general obedience with them (naturally places you in the leadership role) and then setting them up to learn that the mudroom is not theirs to mark it is your space. This means you have to catch them in the act of soiling it, correct them with startling energy and send them out to the run. Follow them outside and encourage them to potty out there - give tons of praise whenthey succeed. It is really the same routine you would use for retraining their house manners - actually it is easier since it is just one room. The key is your consistency and your ability to convey urgency in your energy when you correct them. Don't freak out, but definately let them know you mean it. Then praise the heck out of the good choice of soiling outside.

Wash their beds really well and leave them in the sun to dry (the sun is a great disinfectant), do not put the beds back in the room until you have seen consistent good manners for a week. Then introduce them again and see how it goes. It might be that the beds are so stained that the scent is too hard to remove and they are only encouraging the dogs to soil some more. Bath mats can be adequate for mudrooms - they offer some cushioning without the tempatation to lift a leg on them.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old July 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM
Professional Cat Cuddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Is this a recent development? If so, then I would definately recommend a vet visit to rule out any urinary tract infections or other causes.

Do you clean the area with a enzyme cleaner? It is very important to eliminate all scent from that area as it just makes them more prone to reuse the area.

All very good points, terrym.

I'd recommed using simply white vinegar because it gets rid of all traces of urine... to avoid reoccurances.

It's also much safer (and way cheaper) than a reg. housecleaner.

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." -Ben Williams