Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 14th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Male dog anatomy question *Warning, a little graphic*

I have a neutered male dog, who is about 7-8 months old. He was a shelter puppy when I got him, and was already neutered (at 3 months old).

Over the last month, he has repeatedly tried to mount my female dog, who is approximately 1.5 years old. She has been spayed.

He is too small to mount her in the "traditional" correct way, so he mounts her from the front (on her face) when she bends down.

She thinks this is some sort of game, and responds by biting his stomach, and well, his penis area.

This afternoon I was in my garage and I heard her barking loudly. I went to see what was going on, and his entire penis and what looked like testicles was exposed. Im not talkling coming out, Im talking completely 100% exposed. Everything was very red. It looked like she had bitten or ripped his skin off, leaving his penis exposed from the very base.

Needless to say, I freaked out. I have never had a male dog, so I assumed my female dog had bitten the skin covering this. I called the emergency vet to ask what to do, and by the time I got connected, it seemed that everything had returned to normal.

Is this what it looks like with male dogs? Is it abnormal for my neutered male dog to do this? How do I get him to stop mounting my female dog? Thanks
Old June 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Getting defensive

It sounds like his actual penis was exposed, not the sheath that you would normally be able to see.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old June 14th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

ROFLAO

Quincy did the same thing. I have always had female dogs and the first time Quincy had one on, I thought something was wrong. Called my husband to come and see. He bust a gut laughing when he saw the goofy look on Quincy's face. He said that Quincy was just having a good old time. LOL

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:19 AM

.... gross. I thought I wouldnt have to deal with this by getting a neutered male. The constant humping is driving both me and my other dog crazy..
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffh4 View Post
.... gross. I thought I wouldnt have to deal with this by getting a neutered male. The constant humping is driving both me and my other dog crazy..
You might consider correcting your male dog - it sounds like it might be a dominance issue and it should be stopped before it gets out of hand. If not corrected, and if it is dominance, it could escalate.
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Investigative researcher

It is a dominance issue alright--and he can still get "excited" even when neutered. I agree with JanM--it is up to you to prevent this activity, and let him know you do NOT find it acceptable. My female humps other dogs if not told not to--to show she is boss of all she surveys in her mind,
Old June 15th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah, another myth of neutering exposed, pun intended. Your neutered male can "tie" with a female too, but not impregnate her. Your spayed female dog can also engage in "humping." Large towels thrown on the laundry room floor, awaiting their turn in the wash, were never safe from our girl.

Just wanted to suggest, if you find the behaviour objectionable or are afraid one of the dogs might get hurt you could also try displacement on to another object. Our puppy does disgraceful things to his Poppa Bear. I don't care, he shows no interest in the legs of furniture or people so I let him have at it. Poppa Bear is washable and fits in a closet out of sight when company comes.
Old June 15th, 2008, 02:01 PM

I don't get it though. I mean, I guess its a dominance issue, but why would his body respond lik ethat?

Also, he is fully aware we don't approve. If we are in the room, we jangle our coins around and he stops immediately. Its like he can't stop though, and sometimes just keeps humping the air.

He is very submissive to us, and if we correct him, he usually rolls over on his back. Its just with my other dog, she thinks its a game and he gets too excited...its quite gross to watch
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Our male golden (fixed as a puppy) has always tried to hump the others. But he puts his head on their back and humps away. No one seems to pay much attention to him, they just walk away and he is left humping air. It is quite funny, although we do stop him. He is ll years old now and continues to do it on occasion.

You just have to stay on top of them and eventually he will not do it as much.