Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old May 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking Maks is eating raw!

Okay, so I've been transitioning the Fantastic Four to wellness grain free. It's a slow process, but I've got them eating half and half now, which is farther than I've ever gotten before. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I got a sample bag of Natures Variety pre-packaged raw. I tried giving them all a taste, just a little. enough for them to sniff and get a bit if they were interested. The only one who showed any amount of interest was Maks.

Well, this weekend he ate an entire medallion on his own, and tonight he ate two. He literally scarfed them down. So I think my little guy is a convert. I have enough in the sample bag to get him through the next few days. When I get paid, I'll go by Dog Bar and get a bag, plus I have a coupon for a free bag.

I'm hoping the others will eventually want to give what he's eating a try and decide they like it, but for now at least I have one eating raw. Even if the others don't like it, as long as they all eventually can get on wellness alone I'll be happy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That's fantabulous!! Way to go Maks, and way to go you, for not giving up.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so thrilled and quite proud of him. At first I thought I'd have to keep a watch out, to make sure any leftovers weren't left out for too long, but he didn't even leave any leftover! I put his plate down, and turned my back to wash up some dishes, and by the time I finished he was done! I got him the Lamb so I figure I'll stick with that and then maybe at some point get another sample bag of a different flavor, just so he doesn't get tired of the Lamb.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Swift Tribe

*laughs* YAY! for you and YAY! for Maks!!!

i can say from experience, the rest is all down hill from here!! once one eats it, the others eventually decide its not gonna kill him. you can call him Canary now, the other 3 are!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, that's what I'm hoping. I hope they get curious enough to want to have a taste. When I tried to give them some before, the other three sniffed what I had, then turned away. Maks sniffed and licked it, then took the little piece and ate it. I think he's a little more adventurous with his food than the others .

If I hadn't found those that pre-packaged stuff I don't think I could have done it. For now, I'm just not brave enough to make their food for them. At least I know this food has all of the things they need in as far as vitamin's and supplements. And the best part, there is a place a few blocks away from my office and another place on my way home that sells Nature's Variety. They also sell another brand, which I have to get the name of so I can look it up online.

Old May 12th, 2008, 09:50 PM
What to say, what to say

Yay! I've been following your transition through your many posts but never commented until now. Way to go, Maks!
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay that's so great ancient!!!

Im sure the other kitties will give it a try when they see how enthusiastic he is about it
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:37 AM

Way to go Maks & Ancientgirl

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is great news, ancientgirl. Keep the raw out just incase Vlad, Oksana or Kiska gets interested too.

When my foster kittens were eating raw and supplimented with cat food, they much preferred raw!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone. It's all him though, he just loves it and has given me no trouble at all! I gave him two more medallions this morning and he ate it all within a minute! He went to go have a bite of the other's food, which he usually does, but today he just turned his nose up LOL. Then he kept yelling (meowing) at me for more! I set out three in a rubbermaid container dish to thaw out. Thing is, he doesn't even give the others a chance to investigate what he's eating. He leaves none behind. I read the feeding recommendation on the pouch and it starts at 10 pounds, which is 4 to 5 medallions a day. He's just below 9 pounds so I'm thinking if I give him 6 a day that should be good right? He's a growing kitty after all.

I have to go by the Dog from Ipanema on my way home, which is the one close to my house, and get a small pouche. Those are inexpensive and will be more than enough to last me until I get paid Thursday. Then Thursday when I leave the office I can go by The Dog Bar, which is the place near my job that I got the free coupon for. I think the free coupon is for a small pouch so I can try a different flavor for him. I wash my hands then break up the medallion for him, and I love that I can feel little pieces of bone and stuff. He looks so cute chewing away

He loves the Lamb so far, and I want to try giving him either venison or rabbit. I'm a little wary of feeding him beef, since I've recently read some issues with beef, and inspections and mad cow and such. Bah!

Society is injecting these poor cows to the point where they are poisoning their own food supply. This is one of the most minor reasons I'm happy I became a vegetarian.

Last edited by ancientgirl; May 13th, 2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so happy for you, this is so much better than cat food.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks. I'm happy to have one eating raw. Hopefully, as some of you guys said, it's a snowball effect. I think the hardest one to convince will probably be Oksana. She's super picky! At least though they're transitioning well to the Wellness, so I'm pleased about that too. Even if the others never touch raw, if they can eat Wellness I'll feel better about what they are eating.

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Ancientgirl! I bought some of those medallions tonight and both of them looked at it and walked away... once again....How did you give it to Max? and about how much? I tried about a 1/4 of the medallion and it is still sitting there...also how long can you leave it out for?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wtg Maks!! At least one knows the good stuff.
I wish I could afford to feed mine raw all the time. I am working on it. Anyone know any rich guys with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel? Either that or the winning numbers for 6/49??

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Ancientgirl! I bought some of those medallions tonight and both of them looked at it and walked away... once again....
It can take a while for some kitties to get that raw is edible, and sometimes even longer for them to like it. For one, it has much less smell compared to commercial food, and cats are hugely influenced by smell when it comes to appetite. The other issue is that commercial food, particularly kibble, is pumped full of flavour enhancers, which raw diets don't have.

Then you have to deal with the suspicious nature of felines and how their attitude towards food is often set at an early age. In order to overcome this, it's a good idea to work very slowly when introducing something new. You can get them used to the smell of the raw by leaving small bits of it on a plate next to their regular food. After a few days of that (changing the "bits" every so often) you can try mixing a teensy amount (no more than 1/2 tsp) in with a favourite canned food. If they eat that, slowly increase the amount of raw in proportion to canned over many days or weeks, whatever it takes.

Warming up the raw to at least room temperature (mouse temp is ideal) makes it more appealing for most cats (do this by putting the container of raw in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes). Other tricks are to cover the raw in something so irresistibly tasty and smelly (tuna/salmon juice, plain meat baby food, parmesan cheese, crumbled treats, freeze-dried liver powder, nutritional yeast, etc) that the cats at least give it a lick. Even if they don't eat it all with gusto, that's a start. Be patient, and with a little creativity thrown in, you can do this!

Quote:
...also how long can you leave it out for?
I've left raw out for a few hours with no problem. It tends to dry up and lose it's appeal after an hour or so, which means it's not as likely to be consumed after that point, but who knows, maybe your cats would prefer it "jerky" style.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
He loves the Lamb so far, and I want to try giving him either venison or rabbit. I'm a little wary of feeding him beef, since I've recently read some issues with beef, and inspections and mad cow and such. Bah!
When you get him up to full raw he will need a red meat either beef, elk or bison about 3-4 times per week. Beef (the heart especially) is naturally high in taurine which is essential for cats health. Keep Lamb as his main protein source for the first 2 weeks, adding in new proteins one per week ie add beef one day this week, rabbit one day one day & beef another day next week

Quote:
how long can you leave it out for?
Shouldn't have it out longer than 30 mins and not more than 1 hour, remember this is raw meat. Duffy's been on raw only, for a few months now (local supplier not NV) and turns her nose up at it if its been out for more than 40 mins

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; May 13th, 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ancientgirl! I bought some of those medallions tonight and both of them looked at it and walked away... once again....How did you give it to Max? and about how much? I tried about a 1/4 of the medallion and it is still sitting there...also how long can you leave it out for?

Cindy
SCMom gave some good advice about introducing, which I will be doing with the other 3.

Growler, I also read the same about leaving it out. 30 min. I'll go back and get some of the beef ones then. I'd like to be able to give him a good variety, but if the beef has the taurine he needs I can give that to him a couple of times a week.

Winston, I tried giving them pieces a few weeks ago. They ALL turned their noses up. Then this weekend I decided to give it another try and again took some pieces and tried giving it to them. Maks gave one a lick then put it in his mouth and came back for more. I gave him the entire medallion and he ate it with no problem. I went back and gave him the other one I had thawed. He's a little less than 9 pounds, and the package suggested portions start at 10 pounds, which is to feed 4 to 5 medallions a day. I've been giving Maks 3 at each meal, which he gets two a day so he's up to 6 medallions a day. The others are still wary.

I think it's like the others say, some take to it right away, and others you have to work a little harder. I'll tell you though, it sure brings a smile to my face seeing how much he loves his food. He sits there and eats every little bit!

Last edited by ancientgirl; May 14th, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Wtg Maks!! At least one knows the good stuff.
I wish I could afford to feed mine raw all the time. I am working on it. Anyone know any rich guys with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel? Either that or the winning numbers for 6/49??
LOL, I'm looking for one of those decrepit rich guys myself! Not to mention, I've been playing the lottery weekly too! Some thing's got to give! We have to get some money coming in somehow!

But you know, the packages I buy Maks are 1 pound packages and cost about $5. Maybe you can get a small package and give some to your little ones once a week as a treat.

I was pretty surprised because the larger packages weren't as expensive as I thought. Still not cheap, though, just not an arm and a leg.

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Shouldn't have it out longer than 30 mins and not more than 1 hour, remember this is raw meat.

You'd be surprised. For the same reasons that cats can even eat raw meat in the first place, they can typically handle meat that's been left out for longer periods of time than humans would ever be comfortable with. I think it's all about your own comfort level and that of your cat. When I first started feeding raw, I also would pick it up after about half an hour. Now I just leave it until it's finished or it's clear that my cat isn't going to eat it (often 3-4 hours or more). There are a great many raw feeders on another board I belong to that do the same. But ya, do what you're comfortable with.

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I haven't gotten to that point yet. Maks doesn't leave anything behind for me to pick up. It's gone within a 2 minutes. I'm starting to wonder if he's eating it too fast.

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Growler, I just read some stuff on that link you put on Tommysmom's post. I didn't know there was a detox period. Luckily, I haven't noticed anything different in Maks, but I did have a question about supplements. Do you guys here give your cats supplements or do they just get whatever the pre-packaged raw has? I'm getting some beef medallions this week for the taurine, but I'm wondering if I should be giving him anything else?

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I'd like to be able to give him a good variety, but if the beef has the taurine he needs I can give that to him a couple of times a week.
Absolutely give him as much variety as he likes, alternating proteins each day, but still get in the red meat 3-4 times a week. Remember to only introduce 1 new protein per week, gives the digestive system time to get used to new stuff.

Old May 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Growler, I just read some stuff on that link you put on Tommysmom's post. I didn't know there was a detox period. Luckily, I haven't noticed anything different in Maks, but I did have a question about supplements. Do you guys here give your cats supplements or do they just get whatever the pre-packaged raw has? I'm getting some beef medallions this week for the taurine, but I'm wondering if I should be giving him anything else?
Not every animal goes through the detox, some that do it's barely noticable.

For supplements Duffy gets a probiotic in breakfast and dinner, the local pre-packed raw she eats has wild salmon oil, cod liver oil and full spectrum vit e already in it. She also gets butternut squash added to prevent constipation due to her kidney issues.

Old May 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I was just reading the package of the Nature's Variety ingredients, and it lists Salmon oil and Olive oil. I have to take Kiska and another kitty that's a stray in to see the vet this weekend. I'll take the package with me and ask her if there is anything she thinks I can add to his diet then.

I also noticed an ingredient I'm a bit confused about, which I'm going to look up. It lists something called Montmorillonite Clay. WTH is that?

Old May 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I also noticed an ingredient I'm a bit confused about, which I'm going to look up. It lists something called Montmorillonite Clay. WTH is that?
Source of minerals. Supposedly has some healing properties as well, but I don't really know if that applies to cats.

Old May 15th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I did a bit of reading and as you said, it's a healing type of mineral, and also like a binding agent. It mentioned something about keeps their poop firm and also protects against some toxins.

As long as it's something edible and in small amounts, and helpful to them, I suppose it's okay. LOL, when I see clay, I think of pottery, I didn't imagine it could be anything they could eat.

Old May 16th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Beef doesn't see too popular

I had a coupon for a free 3 pound bag of the Natures Variety. So on my way home, I got Maks a bag of the lamb, which I know he loves and some beef. This morning I gave him beef and lamb. I mixed it up but left plenty of chunks. Maks didn't seem to like the beef as much as the lamb. For the first time he actually left a bit behind. I gave him two of each. I think next time I'll just give him one medallion. Or since I'm only going to give him the beef 2 or 3 times a week I can give him two and let him eat what he can.

I did notice Kiska came around sniffing, which made little guy quite angry. LOL, I heard him growl for the first time. I was washing the dishes and at first I thought it was the pipes. But when I turned off the faucet I heard it and looked down at him, and he was giving little sis the eye! It's kind of funny when one growls, because the others just stop and look like saying "What's the heck is your problem?"

I'd like to try some of the other kinds. When the little sample package I got him last week is finished, I'll go back and get him one of the others. He hasn't yet tried the venison, rabbit or chicken. I'm pretty sure he'll like the chicken though.

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:39 PM

When you are raw feeding you should only feed one protein per day ie if you give lamb for breakfast, he gets lamb for dinner - lamb is the only meat he gets that day. Different protein digest at different rates and mixing meats makes it alittle hard on their tummys.

The other reason for not mixing meats is if he's not too sure about beef and you mix it in w/lamb, he may not like the lamb the next time you give it to him cuz he remembers it tasted different last time.

For the venison does it list exactly what meat that is? The term "Vension" can be applied to any animal killed by hunting ie deer, elk, moose, reindeer, hare , antelope

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks growler, I didn't know not to mix. I gave him just lamb this morning with no issue. Didn't leave even a tiny morsel. I'll have to have a look at the venison ingredient and see what it is.

Thing is, he really doesn't seem keen on beef, and now he won't touch any of the canned I give to the others, which I've finally been able to switch completely to Wellness. I see a potential problem, in that if we get hit by a hurricane this year, it's more than likely I'll be out of power at some point. In the last few years we've been hit twice with loss of power. Once it was over a week, and another time it was just a couple of days. My fear is not being able to keep his raw unspoiled if I've got no power for several days.

I noticed Natures Variety has a freeze dried product which I might have to try just to see if he'll eat it.

Old May 17th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you noticed any difference in Maks's fur since you switched??

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)