Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Senior Contributor

What Does Cheeky Mean??

I See That Alot Here.what Does It Mean??
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

my interpretation of the term (the dictionary gave a crap interp)- being a smarty pants (smart ass some may say) in a humerous way, not in a mean way, just having a little fun and a joke.
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

hasnt any one ever told you that you are a cheeky little bugger or cheeky little monkey?? i bloody hear it daily, sheesh
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes I Have Read That Alot Here,i Have Never Heard That Term Here In Arizona Though..
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:55 PM

I am familiar with the term, but I dont hear it very often here in washington either
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard it ti li came here,kinda cute,that will be my saying and no one here will know what the hell i am talking about
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

also in an australian sense, cheeky can also mean bold, both positive and negative. i recall getting a few flogging's from my mum while she yelled, 'dont you dare be so cheeky to me missy' when i was really bad. also when my nephew is really naughty, say i tell him to do something and he tells me to get stuffed, i will storm in and say 'dont you dare be so cheeky to you beautiful and wonderful aunty', so it can go both ways. my grandmother is a very sweet lady and would never swear and tries to be nice always, if kids are really really naughty she calls them 'a bunch of naughty monkeys' and that is pretty bad for my nan.
but then i have chased my nephew around the house laughing hysterically when he has played a trick or been smart and i will say 'oh your a cheeky bugger' and tickle him. so it goes both ways.
oh do use the word, it is a very descriptive word and i feel quite an australian expression, as we have many a cheeky buggers down here (i dont know where else it is used, canadians may have a different meaning of the word)..
a few aussies phrases just for fun and interst sake-
cooblimey (hard to spell coor-bli-my)- comes from the term god blind me, it is an expression of surprise and wonderment
gobsmacked-speechless
duffer- is a silly bugger, comes form term cattle duffers, cheeky cattle theifs
bugger me dead- expression of a big surprise
and in memory of my dearly departed grandad a few beer toasts-
up ya bum
and get it up ya
my all time favourite aussie insult- i hope your chickens turn into emu and kick your dunny door down
there are a million more and most are just as confusing but funny

what terms or sayings do you have over there?? oh i love the international thing here. good topic heidi
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I thought "cheeky" came from the expression "tongue in cheek"? I hear "duffer" to describe an old man shuffling by or napping on a bench.
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Ok, now I've got a cheeky question.... What the heck does it mean when people put the first letter in each word in capitals? I've seen this here and other places and have yet to understand the purpose. Seriously, I just don't know what the heck it means.
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

When posting in all caps this is a form of "Yelling".

I have made comments recently in caps and they show up the same way, first letter in caps only. What's up with that?

Too many kids stealing 'puter time from mom & dad are a problem too.
Old June 30th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Senior Contributor

well thats great, i have a new meaning for duffer. i actually heard on the news the other day of a cattle duffer (i truly didnt realise they still did it, was a bit shocked actually) that is being charged with stealing $200,000 worth of cattle, now that is really cheeky .
Old June 30th, 2004, 08:18 AM

LOL MEL, you should be doing standup, you are far funnier than Seinfeld! We don't really have as colorful ways of telling people off as you aussies Mel, we tend to stick to swears more I think.

I've heard cheeky both way's like cheeky little devil (joking smartass) or "Stop being cheeky"(talking back, being sassy) Usually accompanied by a first middle and last name Stop being cheeky this instant!