Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 18th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Swift Tribe

i agree completely! my parents brought my sister and i to pick out two cocker spaniel puppies, even those two at times were a bit much for us to handle and i was already 10!! a tomboyish 10yo none the less!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:15 PM

If not a purebred Husky, perhaps a husky mix? In some of them the husky is a bit 'toned down', but of course it depends on the individual dog. i like the idea to volunteer at a shelter so as to better get to know the dogs/puppies.

When I was growing up, there were four of us kids, and my parents did some research on breeds good with kids and ended up getting a Keeshond for the family dog. She was great with kids, no biting, sweet and very tolerant, though independent, as most northern breeds are. They have a similar look to a husky but have much longer fur. In fact, some people spin it like sheeps wool and make sweaters from it.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Thumbs up

Hello all,

Long weekend is over and we have got a dog we were looking for.

We had been to the animal centers this weekend and have seen a Rottweiler of 3 years, Siberian Husky of 3 years, beagle of 2 years, Jack Russell of < year, Labrador / boxer 10 months, Doberman…….. And so on. Jack seemed to be a small petite dog so we went to see JR she was a bundle of energy and kept on prancing around. The lady said these breeds are like these and require a lot of attention. Then we told her that we are working family and the dog will be alone from 9 – 5 at least and she recommended for a quieter breed and to do our research at a Chapters store. We did like the Husky as well but they did not recommend as a first time dog owners. We went to the chapters and spent 2 hours researching and going through books but were not influenced much with the material available to what we were looking for, believe me too much reading.

We then went to a pet store looking for information and found a lady there who was a customer and looking at dogs, my wife approached her and asked her is she knew anything about dogs for children and we started talking which finally led to someone who is selling dogs and were told that dogs in the stores were too expensive… etc. anyway off we were to see the person but unfortunately he was not there. Disappointed we went back and left a message. Half way we got his call and had to go back, he and his wife does breeding on side and had small puppies of Golden retriever and others. We saw a medium sized dog sadly looking sitting quietly and we asked him about that dog. My daughter was comfortable and approached her and she was OK so we took that dog. The female dog is a St. Bernard and Catahoula mix she is 3 months old and is very shy and has her tail inward when anyone approaches her. We got the papers for the shots and all and headed back home. My daughter named her Angel. The following day we brought her to the Vet and they gave her some drops from nose for some protection from other dogs (for info: vets are expensive that human doctors – specialty I guess) do we have to bring our dogs every month initially? Angel is very good with my daughter and has heard her bark only once when the hamster was rolling in the ball.

Angel is not potty trained so we have signed up for the classes as well beginning next Sunday and hopefully she will start going to the toilet soon in the right place.

Angel is a good dog and we are happy to welcome her in our family. It was quite an experience getting a dog. Thank you everyone for your input.
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Swift Tribe

holy cow!!! hope you understand how big that girl is gonna get!!! she sounds either very submissive or abused at one point. lots of praise, attention, petting, love and PATIENCE will get you far with her.

why dont you hit the dog food forum and see what would be appropriate for a really big dog like that.

oh my gosh... do you guys have pictures?!?! please say you do!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

oh my, do you have your work cut out for you!!! did you say your yard was only 20 X 20??? Catahoulas need ton of exercise, you have to teach her where you want her to go, thank dog you signed up for classes, in about 3 months your daughter won't be able to handle her at the size she's going to be. your vet should have told you when to bring her back for her next set of shots, please look up St. Bernards.......
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
holy cow!!! hope you understand how big that girl is gonna get!!! she sounds either very submissive or abused at one point. lots of praise, attention, petting, love and PATIENCE will get you far with her.

why dont you hit the dog food forum and see what would be appropriate for a really big dog like that.

oh my gosh... do you guys have pictures?!?! please say you do!!

-ashley
Hi Ashley

The info which I have got that the dog will be a medium sized dog as it is an x with Catahoula and will not be as big as a Saint Bernard! Hopefully thats true or else we have a big doggy to love & care for. I do not have any pictures yet but will have the same in a day or two.

Yes exactly the same comments we got when we took her to the trainer as initially she had her tail tucked in and she too thought she was hit on the head a lot of time as she backs off if she does not know you. After 2/3 minutes as we started talking she was OK. Anyway the trainer said she will be fine and the 8 weeks we are in training will get her socialized and make her a marvelous companion.
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Swift Tribe

heh Mister's parents were both very small lab/labX, heck i think the mom was only 40 or so pounds, dad was 55??... Mister on the other hand is 95!!! i mean WOW!! and i dont think he is done growing yet!!

StB's like labs are known for the gentle nature, Catahoulas on the other hand, i dont know the first thign about them. its mentioned they are high energy?? if so a cuppla good walks a day wiill do good!! i think she will make a great pet. just remember, you are the dummy, not the dog. we, in our superior brain power need to learn how to talk to them and make them understand with simple repetitive words, body language and tone of voice. make sure you use words and body language that comes naturally to you, you will be using this for the rest of your dogs life.

also be aware that most dog food is garbage. do soem serious research on whats a good one and whats not. we feed homemade/raw. works out really well for us becausethe dog gets all of our leftovers along with his raw meat. there are quite a few good kibbles out there too!! Innova, Canidae, California Naturals... Wellness Core to name a few!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
also be aware that most dog food is garbage. do soem serious research on whats a good one and whats not. we feed homemade/raw. works out really well for us becausethe dog gets all of our leftovers along with his raw meat. there are quite a few good kibbles out there too!! Innova, Canidae, California Naturals... Wellness Core to name a few!
-ashley
Hi Ashley

The vet and the pet store does not recommend to give home food and not even the wet dog food they said only dry food that too only 1 cup 2 times a day. We had bought a bag from the pet store but the vet said it was not good enough and needed something better for Angel and asked us to buy a bag of the food available in their office. No idea what is right! Maybe everyone is trying to promote their own brands for commissions!

Here are some pictures of Angel I took, she is 3 months old:
Attached Images

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM
Swift Tribe

oh she is so PRETTY!!!! i hope to see more pics!!! tell your daughter those are little angel wings covering her face?? oh my gosh she is adorable!!

*makes ugly face* id like to see what credentials the pet store has regarding dog nutrition and who paid to have them educated. vets are notorious for not knowing much about cat and dog nutrition. id be suspicious of any vet touting their own food unless you had a realyl good vet. do you remember what the food was called?? what are you feeding now?? supplementing with 'real people' food is probably the best thing you could do for your dog as long as you know what you are doing. there are quite a few members who feed kibble AND homemade stuff.

ive found in my area that boarding kennels sell the better foods. i have personally fed Canidae and Evo (love it!!) but the ingredients in the other high quality foods look superb also. quite a few here feed Origen, Wellness Core, California Naturals... i cant remember the others.

no real long walks at this age, i think someone said something like 5 minutes for each month of age?? twice a day?? thats pretty fuzzy.... hopefully someone can pipe in with that?? im really happy to hear you are taking some classes. it will go a LONG way towards teaching you dog.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
Kitty pimp

congrats it sounds like your doing everything you can to have a healthy happy dog and the best part is the rest of the family is going to get exercise lol

make sure you takeangel out in the morning and get her energy used up
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your dog is a cutie,

As for dog food, remember, if it is good enough for your daughter, it is good enough for your dog. The important thing is to ensure your dog is getting proper doggie nutrition, not junk, same as you would for your daughter. Feeding poor quality dog food, is like feeding your daughter junk and a vitamin pill every day.

Good luck with your dog!

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

The 5 minutes per month of age for exercise is, I believe, meant to refer to leashed walking on a hard paved surface and can be done twice a day. It's a general guideline to prevent undue stress on growing joints and is particularly important for the large breed dogs. Free running, in the backyard say, can be allowed as needed for bathroom breaks. In free running the pooch can go at her own speed and sit down and rest whenever she likes. Yes, it is fuzzy, and when I first heard it I did not completely understand what was meant and I still have not confirmed it with any reputable, reliable internet source.

I do have a concern for the puppy girl. I think the OP mentionned the dog would be alone from 9 to 5?
Quote:
the dog will be alone from 9 – 5 at least
That would be a long time alone for an adult dog and is unconscionable for such a young puppy. Even if she is left in an area, a pen or something, where she can do her toilet, it is still far too long alone from a sociaization point of view. Can someone not run home several times a day? Or have someone come in? Or take her to doggy day care? Sorry if I've misunderstood.

Pretty little girl. I wonder if her coat will change as she ages and get some of the Catahoula markings?
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM

Currently the food we are given by the pet store and are feeding Angel is Nutrience. The Vet office said it was not great and as we had a big bag already to finish that and start with what they were selling which would help the puppy more and we should not give them anything ELSE except the dry dog food not even the can soft food which is shown on TV! or else the puppy might get

In regards to 9-5, until Sept. there will be someone with the puppy the whole day but starting sept. she will be alone from 9-5. We have to work to get $$$, I am sure there should be a lot of families with pets who go to work and their pets are alone in the house for that time. Unfortunately none of us are close enough to run during our lunch hours to see the puppy!
Born: Monday, 18 February 2008
Colour: White & Fawn
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog is 3 now, and I still don't leave him alone for that length of time. Since we work further from home now, we pay a neighbor to come over everyday at noon. I wouldn't recommend leaving a young dog alone for that long. you could come home to a very trashed house, an injured dog, accidents in the house, etc.... and if you crate for that long, well, that's not good either (although I do support crating) but no bathroom breaks can lead to UTI's and other health problems.

not to mention the social aspect. dogs are pack animals. they need companionship. If you can't hire a dog walker, at least consider using a doggy daycare (if one is in your area). They are cropping up all over the place now, becoming VERY popular.

Thankfully you have plenty of time before September to make arrangements.

btw, if you plan to leave the dog for long periods of time, be sure to work up to it. don't just spend every day w/ the pup, then all of a sudden disappear for 8-10hrs. You need to build up to longer periods of time. That said, I still don't agree with leaving a pup alone for the entire work day.

also remember that a bored puppy left alone for 8+ hrs will make her own fun. This can lead to some pretty big problems in the training department.... just something to think about.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:55 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

She is very cute!! Puppies, so much fun, so much work, so much trouble, so woth it.

Did you buy her from a pet store? Sorry, read the post and was confused.

Catahoolas are very protective, especially of their family and need to be trained consistantly. They are also not always friendly to other dogs. They also have high prey drive and don't do well off leash unless working. These things alone will be challanges...I had a friend who looked at one thru a legit breeder and when she filled in the questionaire, she and her hubby didn't pass as potential owners cuz they camp and wanted a dog to be off leash, and they already owned a male dog and because of these reasons the breeder wouldnt give them a pup.

Here's the breeds standards...if you happen to get her from a legit breeder this should be pretty accurate, but if it wasn't legit who knows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Leopard_Dog

Weight: 20-44 kg 45-95 lb
Height: 50-66 cm 20-26 in
Fur: Short, smooth
Activity level: moderate to high
Learning rate: Very high
Temperament: Assertive, territorial
Guard dog ability: Very high
Watch-dog ability: Very high
Life span: 10-14 years

They have beautiful markings!!!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76 View Post
My dog is 3 now, and I still don't leave him alone for that length of time. Since we work further from home now, we pay a neighbor to come over everyday at noon. I wouldn't recommend leaving a young dog alone for that long. you could come home to a very trashed house, an injured dog, accidents in the house, etc.... and if you crate for that long, well, that's not good either (although I do support crating) but no bathroom breaks can lead to UTI's and other health problems.

not to mention the social aspect. dogs are pack animals. they need companionship. If you can't hire a dog walker, at least consider using a doggy daycare (if one is in your area). They are cropping up all over the place now, becoming VERY popular.

Thankfully you have plenty of time before September to make arrangements.

btw, if you plan to leave the dog for long periods of time, be sure to work up to it. don't just spend every day w/ the pup, then all of a sudden disappear for 8-10hrs. You need to build up to longer periods of time. That said, I still don't agree with leaving a pup alone for the entire work day.

also remember that a bored puppy left alone for 8+ hrs will make her own fun. This can lead to some pretty big problems in the training department.... just something to think about.
Thank you for your post. I felt as well it would be odd leaving the doggy in the house for 8 hours. I did some research and found an article on thr "Ontario Society for prevention of cruelty to Animals" and I can have a Ideal doghouse built in the backyard as per specifications of Ontario SPCA http://www.ontariospca.ca/docs/Ideal_Doghouse.pdf

Now will have to look someone to built the same will call OSPCA tomoorow and check whether they can refer anyone! Thank you everyone for bringing these things to my notice.
Born: Monday, 18 February 2008
Colour: White & Fawn
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Please don't even think about leaving her outside when you are not home. I have seen a lot of stories lately about dogs being poisoned or shot in their own yards.

There is a nutrition forum here that will give you a ton of information on how to pick a good dog food. I am willing to bet that your vet thought that the best food out there was the stuff he/she is selling in the office. The vet gets money for selling it and if it is Science Diet it is full of by-products, corn and other fillers. In other words - garbage.

I know a couple of Canadian dogwalkers, I'll see if they are anywhere near you. I recommend them highly.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree 100% w/ LavenderRott, don't even think about leaving a pup alone outside, for any length of time, while you are not home. it's not safe, no matter how nice of a dog house you have.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Leaving the dog outside has one main advantage in that she can toilet whenever she wants. BUT...

When I was a child our family dog was always outside. A neighbour boy harassed our dog by throwing things at him on his way home from school. One time we were lucky to be home when a loose, aggressive, much bigger dog came in our yard and attacked ours. Two small children came in and hit our dog with shovels. If our dog had gotten loose I am sure he could have killed them. A neighbour's dog was killed when three dogs entered her fenced yard and attacked her.

Dogs can be left outside but you have to take a lot of safety precautions. And she may still bark when she is lonely and the neighbours will complain. Or she might dig and get out, or jump or climb and get out. Or get her collar caught on something and strangle, that's one I've heard of. If you can guarantee your yard is safe enough to leave a two year old child in it from 9 -5 unattended then go for it.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here is another good link:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/catahoula.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/saintbernard.htm

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey