Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Unhappy New Member with a sick dog

Hello....what a relief to find this site.
I have a 10 year old Wire Fox Terrier. He was born with a deformed right rear knee. I have had it xrayed and there is nothing that can be done. He has been on Metacam for 3 years now. I started him back on Lakota (glucosamine) , one capsule with his food, a week ago. He started throwing up his food shortly after ingesting it, 2 days ago.
His walks are of a normal duration, still wants to play in the house and no loose stools. He is still drinking water.
Should I take him to the Vet? I am very worried.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Geek Club CEO

Does he still vomit when you don't give the glucosamine? Are there any ingredients in the pills besides glucosamine that could be disagreeing with him? When do you give the Metacam? When was the last time he had bloodwork?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM

New Member with sick dog

Hello
Thanks for replying. It would seem rather obvious to pin point the Lakota but I had him on it 2 years ago for about 8 months with no problem.
Lakota has Boswellia Extract, Collagen type 11, White willow bark, Yucca root powder, Devils claw root powder, Sasparilla, Feverfew leaf powder, and Bromelain with 150 mg of glucosamine sulphate and 150 mg of Glucosamine HCL. My vet is aware of this. Apparently many dogs are on this although it is a human compound. The dosage for a human is 4 to 6 capsules per day, I give him 1 with food, he weighs 28 pounds.
He gets Metacam once a day with his food. He hasn't had blood work done since he was xrayed 2 years ago.

Last edited by meadan; May 14th, 2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:49 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How frequent is the vomiting? Is he throwing up every meal or just that once?

It's hard to tell if he's reacting to the Metacam, the glucosamine, or something else, so if he continues to have problems he should definitely be seen by the vet.

It sounds like you've been doing a marvelous job managing your boy's joint problem so far.

Welcome to the board, meadan!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just saw you ingredient post. It might be worth a shot to try a simpler glucosamine formulation for him if another cause for the vomiting can't be pinpointed. He may have developed a sensitivity to one of the ingredients as he got older.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Hi, thanks for the response.
He is throwing up every meal, just the food, no bile or anything. I feed him 3 times a day, smaller amounts because he was having stomach issues a few years ago and the vet advised that I feed him more frequently.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Geek Club CEO

Metacam can cause irritation of the stomach and intestines with long-term use...but vomitting can be the result of a lot of things, especially if he's prone to a sensitive tummy. Tough call.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Thanks
I think I am going to make his food for the next couple of days, and recommendation on what to include in it? I was thinking chicken with carrots and rice.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Or, if he gets sick of the rice, substitute pasta (elbow macaroni makes nice little chewable bits )--and make sure the carrots are well-cooked. Hard carrots don't digest well and he already is having some stomach distress.

However, if he's throwing up after every meal, I'd be inclined to take him in or at least talk to the vet and see what the vet suggests. He may advise a switch in meds. If it's the Metacam, for instance, changing his diet is likely not going to help the irritation much.