Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Unhappy I GUESS I DON"T HAVE A NICE NEIGHBOR. I just need some advise on this issue, please!

Today I decided to take my dog to the back side of the condominium so she can play a bit and no one goes back there . when we were passing the last building I took her leash off, a lady came out of her apartment and my dog barked at her( I guess she scared my dog, because my dog is not agressive at all) I told my dog Quiet and we kept going.

The lady was standing there looking at us, so I asked her-Do you have a problem if i keep her off leash?- She said NO.
When I looked a few minutes later she was taken pictures of us on her cell phone!

So I got my dog on the leash and left!
I know she is going to take those pictures to the rental office!
And I'm almost certain that the office has a leash policy.

What are the consequences I'm going to have to deal with?
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess that depends on your point of view.

I live in an apartment complex. My dogs are never, ever, ever outside off leash. For the last month, I have been going round and round with the office trying to deal with my neighbors who think it is quite alright to let their dogs run outside offleash.

Please, find out about the leash bylaws for your condominiums and then abide by them. I am sure that your neighbor's "unfriendliness" isn't personal. She is probably just very tired of every body's dog running around and pooping behind her unit.
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM

I can understand your point of view!

But she should mentioned something when I asked her instead of taking our pictures right after an OK from her! She placed me right inside of the trap!

Thanks! It made me understand her side!

Everyone acts diferently!
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

If the office makes a fuss, I would make an even bigger one about her taking pictures without asking permission. It is rude and intrusive. In fact, if you're the adventurous sort , I would complain before she does. Don't even mention that the dog was off-leash.
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM

That's a good ideia!
I tought it was very intrusive too!

Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

On the other hand, maybe she really doesn't have a problem with it but thought your dog was really cute?
Old May 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Getting defensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
If the office makes a fuss, I would make an even bigger one about her taking pictures without asking permission. It is rude and intrusive. In fact, if you're the adventurous sort , I would complain before she does. Don't even mention that the dog was off-leash.
Yes, it may be rude, intrusive, or whatever, but as long as she was on her own property, or otherwise public property, it was legal.

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Running to the office to complain about having your picture taken might just lead to a huge he said/she said issue and since she has pictures of your dog off leash, you may end up being on the loosing end of the arguement.

I don't know about the rules and bylaws where you live, but here - you could get evicted or have to get rid of the dog.
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
head in the clouds

go out and find yourself a PVC clear leash! :| (ok yeah extreme) but well it wouldnt be seen in the photo if there was a problem with it! haha...
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with posters who advised against complaining that neighbour took pictures of your dog. Cell phones had already gotten out of hand before they added the picture taking feature - the pictures of people in embarrassing situations are bad enough. I would always make sure my dog was on a leash - and check out the rules of the condo you live in.
Old May 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I live in a condo community where all dogs must be on a leash. I had a huge argument not long ago who complained about my feeding a stray cat, yet she stood there with her dog who was not on a leash. When I pointed out to her that her dog was off leash when she knew it should not be, she shut up. I had no issue with her dog being off leash, it just made me angry she was complaining about a poor cat being fed, yet she was clearly breaking a rule set in the condo rules.

Anyway, here the most they do is make you pay a fine. Since this is a condo community they can't exactly evict anyone. I do know this crazy woman has paid a few thousand dollars in the last few years in fines because she refuses to put her dog on a leash.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:35 PM

your condo may not have a leash policy if your city has one and most major cities do. Your neighbor might go and complain but if you're lucky, they may only have rules about animals running around without supervision.

It sounds like you learned a lesson, regardless of the outcome though. I am like you - my dogs think leashes are for sissies. We can't walk in our neighborhood off-leash, but we know all the areas of town that are designated leash-free parks AND the trails where you can walk off-leash and no one will mind. It's worth a short drive and the hassle to go somewhere we know we can enjoy a walk with or without leashes and not upset anyone else.
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Not everyone is a dog person so I'd do nothing for now. If she complains, then beg forgiveness but also be an adult and admit what you did. Don't try to hid it.

Is there an off leash park in your area? There your dog will be welcomed and they're a lot of fun.
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM

Like the Beatles song: Let it Be

I wouldn't do anything. If she actually takes her cellphone to the rental office then is the time to deal with it - and for a 1st time, it is usually a reprimand. I don't know any condo that would not just do a warning for a first timer. I would relax - it is possible she is not going to bother, once she had a chance to rethink the episode.

Dietlinde