Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 7th, 2008, 10:41 PM

puppy with penile discharge

My 9mth old eng. mastiff frequently has a yellow-pus looking discharge coming from his penis. He's in the stage now where he also gets pretty frisky. This is when we tend to notice the discharge. Can anyone tell me what causes it?
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

A small amount of green or yellow discharge at the tip of the penis is common and normal in dogs. As they mature and go through puberty (if not neutered) it will be more pronounced. It is called smegma and is a combination of skin cells, oils, moisture and some small amount of bacteria.

It is always a good idea to have your veterinarian look at it to make sure that this is what it is. Your veterinarian can help make sure that it is not a urinary tract infection, etc...

If your pet is not already neutered, neutering him will help reduce the amount of smegma formation.

Hope that helps.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:15 AM

Thks

Thank you for your expedient response. I don't wish to have him neutered as I want to breed him. Will the discharge eventually go away or will remain until he's neutered?
D
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:26 AM

Even if neutered, smegma is part of being a mammal (for both males and females). Hormonal influence, especially in males, will make smegma more pronounced. Also some animals just have more than others. With smegma, there should be NO other signs than the mild 'dab' of discharge. Anything else, should be evaluated by your veterinarian. Good luck!
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Also since you brought up breeding, I just always want to provide some statistics. Every breeder is different and have quality breeders will always be needed. However if you have any questions on breeding, here are some important statistics...

"Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. - and each day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born. Put another way, for every person that is born, 15 dogs and 45 cats are also born. You do the math, there is no way we can find homes for them all. As long as these birth rates exist, there will never be enough homes for all the animals from here to eternity. As a result, every year 4 to 6 million animals are euthanized because there are no homes for them."

The website for this info is...
http://www.arlep.org/main.asp?id=17

Take care.
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Our boxer had some discharge from his penis, and it turned out to be an infection... he had to have it "rinsed" twice and some panalog applied inside. Altho he is older and neutered.

As far as the breeding goes, Id like to add something as well..
The shelter where I got my Boston kills NINETY --90--- dogs a WEEK. 25-40% are purebred...people buy them as pups, so you will sell them for sure...but they change their minds, or breed those ones, and they end up like my purebred...on death row. She had 12 hrs left when we applied for her.

Im not sure how, in good conscience, anyone can sell pups, knowing that at least 20% of the litter will end up in a shelter, and half or more of those will die. Unless you have very high quality dogs, and breed to improve the bloodlines, temperment and health of the breed, to very carefully screened, and approved new homes with spay/neuter contracts, I dont think dogs need to be bred.

( I am making reference to the purebreds simply because I hear alot about how its ok to breed your dog if its a pure breed, not because I dont acknowledge all the wonderful dogs being left in shelters)

Last edited by gaerwen; May 9th, 2008 at 10:11 PM. Reason: to add something
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Spencer had that as well and I was told it was smegma. Just a warning, don't google it because you will get a whole lot of pictures that you don't want to see.