Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 27th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Election-Day

Well,tomorrow is Election-Day,I hope every Canadian has what's best for Canada in mind,no revenge-voting....
It is the first time I am really worried about the Canada I know and love..are we going to have a government that includes billionairess Stronach,Harris,Mulroney,Eves and Ralphie
Old June 27th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Anita I'm afraid I'll be hanging a black flag next to my Canada flag tomorrow if the outcome is as expected.

I'm worried about this election and I hope Canadians don't do what the stats have suggested

What really bothers me a great deal are all the individuals that don't vote. In my circle of family, relatives and friends I can't count the number that don't vote. It's awful!

I tell them over and over again how much it matters that they do and that people 'died' to give them this right to vote. 'It doesn't make a difference' is all I hear from people who then whine and complain but never exercised their right!
Grr gets me mad!
Old June 28th, 2004, 03:12 AM

Grrrr, I know what you mean Luba. Nothing worse than a whiner after an election that didn't exercise their oh so important vote. What the heck is with some people? I couldn't WAIT for my first time checking that little box!! Haven't missed a year since and won't.

The stats are soooo misleading. Every hour on the hour (almost it seems) things shift. And then again from province to province.

I'll be there bright and early doing my duty!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old June 28th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Good Luck to Canada and our future!!!!
Love all the little thingys and your avatar Trescanis.!!!
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm dreading the results!! I'm not sure if you all hear about the turmoil here in Alberta over education, but Calgary teachers have voted to take a strike vote..which is very grim because of our education minister and our premier! They pretty much gave us an ultimatum...take the 2% wage increase or we pull your $1.9 billion retirement fund off the table! We declined their 2% Thank GOD!!! IT isn't even wages we are fighting for...its working conditions! Damn media!!! GRRRRRRRR!!!! {biting my tongue right now}

It is a sad sad day here, and at 3:00 I'm off to vote....I just hope it has sunk in to some people that we need changes in this country, or its all going to hell!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Catt31,well,the results are in!! The Western provinces are almost completely blue!!! With a Pm like Ralph Klein,how could the Albertans go PC?
I don't understand,but I suppose they are happy with the Pc's
I understand how you feel as a teacher,our educationsystem under the Harris/Eves gov,was constantly under attack,teachers in particular and caused a complete disaster.
Here too the media many times was the culprit,painting teachers as money-grabbing greedy Union members.Most people think,teachers have a dream-job,with "summers off"short work-days etc....and happily watched Harris destroy our system.
But in the end,with strikes and disruptions,I believe most people saw who the real culprit was,the PC governmet!!
Also I admire anyone who wants to educate our kids,it's not a job I would take even for a million$$$ a year
Old June 29th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Anita!! Your kind words made me smile!! It is a sad day here, BLUE BLUE BLUE!!! Unfortunately, there are WAY too many rednecks and business men in Alberta who like Klein, and they are the ones who vote the most. Klein appeals to them and he gets their votes. The people who aren't happy with the PC's DON"T vote....they bitch and bitch and bitch but they don't GO AND VOTE...... its frustrating, and I really had hoped it would change this year, but alas, I was wrong. I'm not a big fan of politics and am not an avid follower but even I can see what is wrong with our province and our country.

That is exactly what is happening here, all thanks to the media. They paint the picture they want to paint, with a bit of colour guidance from the politicians and our stupid learning minister....and it makes us look bad!! Yes, we get summers off, and Christmas and Easter, but if any one of the media, Klein or Oberg came into my classroom this year and stayed for even an hour, they would see what its like. I had a class of 24 (very lucky to have a small class, but only because I teach a split grade) - plus 3 that were being integrated slowly from various resource rooms. I had 3 on IPP's (Indiv. Program Plan which I have to adapt my curriculum to fit their learning needs); 7 behaviour problem kids, 6 ESL kids (3 of which didn't speak a lick of English), and the rest were average to slightly above average learning ability. No Einstein's in that class!!! With not a lot of support! How's that for a FUN year???? On top of teaching, we have to plan, mark, evaluate, discipline, act as counsellor, mediator, mother, father, etc. etc. etc. Not even including the 20 - 30 EXTRA hours a WEEK I spend at home marking, or planning or making up tests, or doing report cards, etc. in my OWN time!!

I'm NOT complaining, I absolutely LOVE my job, I just wish people would quit assuming we have a dream job. I live paycheck to paycheck just like anyone else...we certainly don't make as much $ as the media state we do!! And now that my rant is done, sorry!! It's been a long hard year and the turmoil the gov't is adding to it isn't helping at all!! At least I have a job next year, so I have that to be thankful for at least!! It's nice to hear when people support their teachers, so THANKS Anita!!! Yer da best!!! (((((((hugs))))))))
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)