Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 1st, 2008, 07:55 PM

bad breath in my 6 mo. yorkie

Any insight regarding bad breath in my 6 mo. yorkie? Is it part of teething?
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I have kitties, but I gather it's similar. I remember when they were loosing their baby teeth, they sometimes had stinky breath. You might keep an eye on him though, because I believe sometimes that could be a sign of an ailment.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

bad breath

You might want to start a routine of brushing his teeth. Your vet or pet shop will have the proper toothbrush and doggy tooth paste. It will save you dental bills later on and eliminate any tartar and bad breath.
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, pups usually develop bad breath (sort of like bloody meat gone bad) when teething. Is your dog teething? If so, dampen some clean but old wash clothes and throw them in the freezer. When they're frozen, let your pup chew on them under supervision. Don't let him eat any pieces if he manages to tear some off, of course.

The cold soothes their gums and the cloth helps to clean the gumline where teeth have fallen out or are pushing through.

And welcome to the board. I grew up on the extreme west side of Milwaukee, not too far from Brookfield. Nice to see someone from the old bailiwick on board.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
sort of like bloody meat gone bad
i'm trying to forget I read this
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
i'm trying to forget I read this
Sorry....it's the best way to describe it... I hope you weren't reading over dinner!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 1st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

although I understand that rotting meat, if you wait for it to turn green, is actually quite edible.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
although I understand that rotting meat, if you wait for it to turn green, is actually quite edible.
Now I'm going ....

badger's revenge!

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:55 PM

Yorkies have bad teeth due to genetic. When they are teething, it is even worse. If your getting your Yorkie neutered, ask the vet to take the baby teeth at the same time so that you don't have to put him under twice. My Yorkie has bad teeth too and although he has finished teething 1 1/2 year ago, I am still brushing his teeth diligently once a day before bed with a baby toothbrush and I am barely keeping up with his plaque but it is way better than without brushing. Start getting him used to brushing as he is still young and very trainable. There is doggie toothpaste that you can buy and use. Just keep doing it every day and it will get better but the baby teeth has to come out for sure because they will cause a lot of problems.