Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 29th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Looking to adopt

Looking to adopt a dog that is not a puppy, grown and well-behaved like an adult, but not a dog that 15 years old and the brink of death. Needs to be hypoallergenic because I have slight allergies but not that bad. Also a dog that is generally helathy and doesn't have crazy things like skin allergies or needs 800$ medication because thats money I don't have right now. I would like it to be not too big but not too small either and be friednly and not a constant barker and good with kids. Any breed mutt or purebred as long as it doesn't have a million health problems. Spayed/neutered I don't care if its not I can take care of that. Must walk good on leash if they tug a little bit as long as they don't drag me down the street. Very important: MUST LIKE CATS!!!
Old April 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Awesome that you are looking to adopt an older dog

Im sure there are members here that can point u in the right direction. I would look at the local spca/humane society first.

Just a small comment tho..I dont think u can have a truly fully hypoallergenic dog ( or cat), its been discussed here before - I'll try to find the thread for u.

Also just food for thought, although u may adopt a perfectly healthy dog, things come up. You might want to think if say a few months after ownership he/she gets ill and needs to be taken to a vet..u must be prepared

Just wouldnt want a dog rehomed for costly unexpected vet costs, u know?

But that being said, good luck with your search and I wish you all the best
Old April 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Please check out this thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....allergenic+dog
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:28 PM

A great place to start is www.petfinder.com
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:17 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl790 View Post
Looking to adopt a dog that is not a puppy, grown and well-behaved like an adult, but not a dog that 15 years old and the brink of death. Needs to be hypoallergenic because I have slight allergies but not that bad. Also a dog that is generally helathy and doesn't have crazy things like skin allergies or needs 800$ medication because thats money I don't have right now. I would like it to be not too big but not too small either and be friednly and not a constant barker and good with kids. Any breed mutt or purebred as long as it doesn't have a million health problems. Spayed/neutered I don't care if its not I can take care of that. Must walk good on leash if they tug a little bit as long as they don't drag me down the street. Very important: MUST LIKE CATS!!!
Sounds to me you might be better off adopting a fish ?
Old April 30th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Frenchy, that's not very nice! As a rescuer I appreciate the person laying it all out, that way I can look at it and see if I have a match or not.... Personally I appreciate the honesty! When people aren't honest or realistic that's when we have problems placing dogs properly!!!

jerseygirl790 thanks for keeping it real and honest, don't let some deter you!
Old May 1st, 2008, 06:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Health issues can arise at any age, no guarantees, so I think Frenchy has a point, if you can't afford to pay, or don't want to pay for vet bills, maybe it is not a good time to adopt right now.

I understand jersygirl wanting a healthy dog and any reputable rescue will point out any known health issues to potential adoptees immediately.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:35 AM

Sure they can arise or not but she doesn't want to start off with a dog with heath issues which is totally fair IMO. I have always adopted my dogs and NONE to date have had major issues and I have adopted them all without existing issues. There is nothing wrong with wanting to adopt a dog that is healthy at this moment and of course one never knows what will happen in the future, that's life!

As a rescuer I list if the dog has any known health issues so the adopter can made an educated decision if they want to take the dog on with said issues. I don't expect a person who can't afford an issue to take it on, nor would I want them to, that's why I would list any health concerns.

It's comments like this that drive good homes away from rescue.
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
Sure they can arise or not but she doesn't want to start off with a dog with heath issues which is totally fair IMO. I have always adopted my dogs and NONE to date have had major issues and I have adopted them all without existing issues. There is nothing wrong with wanting to adopt a dog that is healthy at this moment and of course one never knows what will happen in the future, that's life!

As a rescuer I list if the dog has any known health issues so the adopter can made an educated decision if they want to take the dog on with said issues. I don't expect a person who can't afford an issue to take it on, nor would I want them to, that's why I would list any health concerns.

It's comments like this that drive good homes away from rescue.
Understandably so and I agree with you, honesty is best policy and allows the rescuer to recommend a pet that is a good fit between the family and pet. However, the OP states she can't afford significant vet bills right now. What happens if within a couple of weeks/months the dog develops a health issue? I think that is why (I don't want to speak on behalf of Frenchy, my appologies if I am wrong) Frenchy is thinking a fish at this time may be better.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

We alll agree guys, just saying it in different ways

Maybe Frenchy was just having a bad day or somehting and didnt choose the nicest way to say things (sorry frenchy ) but it happens to everyone. In any case we all mean the same. If jerseygirl comes back we can answer any specific questions she may have as best we can...
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post

Maybe Frenchy was just having a bad day .
not at all , but the OP wants a perfect dog , and doesn't have too much money .... so what happens if the dog dares to need vet care .... no money for vet care and don't want to deal with dog's problem , does not want to work with the dog , just wants a perfect dog. These are the kind of people who adopts and then dumps them at the shelter at the first sign of "trouble".

And there are no 100% hypoallergenic dogs.
Old May 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I know I know Frenchy...its just u were being very blunt/sarcatic
But being blunt/ sarcastic makes people not want to listen u know? Trust me im dealing with a 16 yr old right now, i know

Its good that jersey girl thought about what she wants and doesnt want and is being honest. She came to this board and posted that and yes first thing I thought was that she was kind of looking for the perfect dog and yes it would be hard/ maybe she's not being truly realistic but still we have to play nice

Anyways Unless Jerseygirl comes back i dont think theres much pnt discussing this further..meh...u say potatoes I say potatos Actually u say pomme de terre
Old May 1st, 2008, 12:29 PM

When my old dog passed away, I had very specific criteria for the next dog I was going to adopt and I got the perfect dog! I waited and found him, I have had Chopper now 10 years, NO major vet bills and he's 17!!! There is NOTHING wrong with wanting something and trying to get it from a rescue, isn't that what we want? Isn't the goal of rescue to find good homes?

My first dog was a wonderful pit from the SPCA, no vet bills.

My second dog was a perfect mix free to a good home, no vet bills.

My third dog is Chopper so far no vet bills and it goes on.

People it can go either way, there is NOTHING wrong with starting off with a healthy dog and not being rich and wanting to adopt a dog. I adopted my first dog when I was very young and didn't have a lot of money, not everyone has a ton of money but we all manage.

To each his own but I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to not spent $800 a month in medication and someone who prefers a dog that doesn't shed too much as they have slight allergies. There are lots of dogs like that in rescue and she could be accomodated easily instead of berated.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
My first dog was a wonderful pit from the SPCA, no vet bills.

My second dog was a perfect mix free to a good home, no vet bills.

My third dog is Chopper so far no vet bills and it goes on.

To each his own but I see nothing wrong with someone wanting to not spent $800 a month in medication and someone who prefers a dog that doesn't shed too much as they have slight allergies. There are lots of dogs like that in rescue and she could be accomodated easily instead of berated.

I just have to add this, cuz I am one of the unlucky ones who does spend alot of money at the vets...we went in to the whole "dog getting" thinking the same thing...we got a "pure bred" golden, that we paid alot of money for, who has had nothing but health issues, and as she ages it will only get worse, we have spend well over $5 000 in 18 months - thats with NO surgery, thats just an infection here, kennel cough there, pulled muscles, toxic injestion, ear infects, eye infections, the list goes on, so hope and pray all you want for the perfect dog, I wish you all the luck in the world.

So I understand where Frenchy is coming from, you can't gaurentee either way if your pet will be healthy or not, especially rescueing, especially dogs from the pound - let alone from a "breeder". A person going in to this with false expectations will be sadly disappointed - we see it everyday at the shelters.

I agree - to each their own, but I have to ask - who the heck goes in to it thinking they WANT to spend $800 a month on vet bills??? No one that I know. We all want a healthy dog - but on the flip side we should expect expenses and trips to the vet, and if you can't afford it the day you get one, then you shouldnt get one. If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet. Simple as that. Sorry - I speak from experience, totally blind going in to this and paying for my mistake each and every day.

Don't get me wrong, I love my dog and will do what it takes to keep her healthy but I have gone in debt for her over and over again. Expecting to have a perfectly healthy dog is a dream...this is how dogs end up in shelters in the first place.

You are right - requests such as hypoallergenic and healthy at the time can be accomdated but not gaurenteed for even one second once that dog leave you and the adopter is very ridged in their requirments - whats going to happen if they do get sick or start shedding or have an allergy breakout? Just a question - not trying to argue.

I sure wish someone had sat me down and been real with me, if i only knew then what I know now...

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; May 1st, 2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old May 1st, 2008, 03:08 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I just wanted to add that the Humane Society that I work with has a meet your match program where the adopter fills out forms, with all the details, and the shelter tries to match you with a dog that meets your expectations, they then give suport to adopters who need it afterwards.

This type of program is excellent for potential adopters with specific wants and needs.

Old May 1st, 2008, 03:45 PM

She just doesn't want to start out with a dog with issues read her post, she doesn't have the money for it right now, that doesn't say she won't in the future, she just doesn't have money to pay big consistent bills TODAY, nothing wrong with admitting one can't afford a dog with existing health issues.

I don't think you all see what she is saying, she hasn't said once she can't afford vet bills, she has said she doesn't want a dog that has major issues TODAY as today she can't afford to take on a dog with medical issues.

I have been doing rescue many years and rarely have dogs that have on going medical issues, ones that do often are supported by the rescue as best we can.
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Talking good news

Well I've finally got a dog. I got a beige great dane named Rocky and he is as gentle as a lamb! I looked at my local shelter and the adoption counselor told me no one really wanted him because of his size, so I felt bad and decided to adopt him and took him home that day. He is doing great now and since the only reason I didn't have much money was because I bought a house and I work as an audiologist, but my house was expensive so I was broke for a little bit but I'm much better finacially now. Rocky likes to frolick in the backyard and doesn't bother with my cat at all. I live behind a bay and there are little steps leading to a small dock and I was afraid he'd jump in the water, but he doesn't jump in, he'll usually sit by it and look at it but won't go in. I'll put some pictures of him on here when I get some. I love Rocky!!
Old May 5th, 2008, 09:07 PM

CONGRATS and I am glad you didn't let people here deter you..... Post pictures soon! I LOVE Danes.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Kitty pimp

well congrats sounds like you found the perfect dog for you rocky sounds great how is your cat taken to having a doggie in the hood?
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like heaven, any room for me and heaven for a big dog. I guess he was waiting for you. Hurry up with those pictures.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:54 PM
-

Congratulations on your new addition.

We love Great Danes here and can't wait to see pics of Rocky.
Old May 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Congrats!!!!

Pictures please!!!!

Old May 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
-

Quote:
I didn't have much money was because I bought a house and I work as an audiologist, but my house was expensive so I was broke for a little bit but I'm much better finacially now.
So since your April 29 post , all your money problem vanished ? wow
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
So since your April 29 post , all your money problem vanished ? wow
I was wondering that myself...and the whole hypo allergenic thing too. I love danes, but all that body mass means a lot of dander.

I too want to see pics of Rocky. I love fawn danes. They look so clumbsy when they're young.

Cindy
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I think that she was talking more like paying $800 a month worth of vet bills and/or meds (which is like another mortgage payment). I don't really think she meant that she couldn't afforded what may come up in the future.

Lets all just be happy that an older bigger dog has found a good home and be done with it. Stop annualizing everyone’s posts in such negative ways.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann View Post
Stop annualizing everyone’s posts in such negative ways.
Last I heard this was a public forum AND I think I remember hearing about Canada having free speech ?

Being a volunteer for a rescue and getting e-mails and phone calls every week about people wanting to dump their dogs at the first sign of inconvenience , because they didn't think about the responsabilities of owning a dog , I can certainly post my opinion here !!! The OP was having money problem , not anymore ... but just bought a house .... I know how much it cost to own a house ! There's always expenses. Also mentioned light allergies and looking for a not too small dog BUT not too big either , gets a Great Dane I have been fostering one for more than a year now , I know how much it cost to maintain one ....

We used to be able to give our opinions here on this board , what do you like it or not , it's not because I don't have the same as you , that I can't post mine !!! Get use to it.
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Last I heard this was a public forum AND I think I remember hearing about Canada having free speech ?

Being a volunteer for a rescue and getting e-mails and phone calls every week about people wanting to dump their dogs at the first sign of inconvenience , because they didn't think about the responsabilities of owning a dog , I can certainly post my opinion here !!! The OP was having money problem , not anymore ... but just bought a house .... I know how much it cost to own a house ! There's always expenses. Also mentioned light allergies and looking for a not too small dog BUT not too big either , gets a Great Dane I have been fostering one for more than a year now , I know how much it cost to maintain one ....

We used to be able to give our opinions here on this board , what do you like it or not , it's not because I don't have the same as you , that I can't post mine !!! Get use to it.
I don't understand where the financial difficulties disappeared to either.
I was shocked to hear she got a Great Dane, I thought the same as you Frenchy, is she going to be able to afford feeding this dog a quality food?

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old May 7th, 2008, 01:04 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

well i don't know about anyone else but i do remember the "i'm broke right after buying my house". And yes within a couple of weeks i was fine financially. There is alot of expense initially for the house closing, lawyers, etc. God just because some people do bad stuff doesn't mean everyone does. I went on vacation and came home with a golden retriever. Sometimes things that are meant to be are put in our paths.
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
well i don't know about anyone else but i do remember the "i'm broke right after buying my house". And yes within a couple of weeks i was fine financially. There is alot of expense initially for the house closing, lawyers, etc. God just because some people do bad stuff doesn't mean everyone does. I went on vacation and came home with a golden retriever. Sometimes things that are meant to be are put in our paths.
That was going to be my next point.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old May 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Aslan and Elizabeth Ann - I think you've made really good points and am in complete agreement with you! There is a big diffeence between having an opinion (which yes, we are all entitled to) and personal attacks or hurtful sarcasm.

jerseygirl: congrats on rescuing Rocky! It sounds like he wasn't what you expected you would end up with, but sometimes when it's right you just know I NEVER wanted to own a male dog - never really felt a bond with them - but when I met Chase it changed in an instant. Good luck and enjoy him!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl