Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Instinct canned dog and cat food - any opinions?

I had replied to the EVO thread about trying Instinct cat food on the cats and they love the stuff. I posted the ingredients there, they look pretty good to me.

I also got a few cans of the rabbit variety to try on the dogs. The only canned they've been eating mixed with their kibble is Wellness, and I've been looking for another type to try. The dogs aren't wild about anything except duck, chicken or turkey flavours for canned. I've tried the venision, beef and lamb, but they won't eat it. So I saw the Instinct canned has a rabbit formula and I thought I would give it a try. Both dogs loved it.
I think the ingredients look pretty good....anyone see anything wrong with it? I'm happy to be able to add another variety into the dogs diet.

Rabbit Formula
Instinct Canned Diet for Dogs

Grain-free
95% Rabbit & liver
Omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat
Chelated minerals for better nutrient absorption

Complete and balanced for all life stages

Healthy, Natural Ingredients
Rabbit, Rabbit Liver, Water, Eggs, Tricalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed, Peas, Carrots, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.

Instinct Rabbit Formula for Dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile for All Life Stages.

Feeding Guide and Instructions
Amount of food your dog requires will depend on activity, age, environment, and breed. Feed at room temperature and refrigerate unused portion. Always provide access to clean fresh water. ADULT: Feed 3/4 to 1 1/4 cans per 15 lbs. of body weight per day. PUPPY: Feed up to twice the adult amount to puppies. GESTATION & LACTATION: Feed up to three times the normal adult amount.

For more detailed feeding information based on your pet's weight and activity level, please visit our Interactive Feeding Guideline.

Sizes Available
13.2 oz (374.2 grams)
5.5 oz (156 grams)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 9.0%
Crude Fat (min) 7.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.0%
Moisture (max) 75.0%

Calories
532 per 13.2 oz can
222 per 5.5 oz can

Fatty Acids
Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min): 1.10%
Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min): 0.25%

Minerals
Calcium: 0.444%
Phosphorus: 0.327%
Magnesium: 0.022%
Sodium: 0.121%
Potassium: 0.327%
Chloride: 0.207%
Iron: 59.906 mg/kg
Zinc: 58.934 mg/kg
Copper: 5.804 mg/kg
Manganese: 9.739 mg/kg
Iodine: 0.677 mg/kg
Selenium: 0.055 mg/kg
Ash: 2.111%

Vitamins
Vitamin A: 91615.313 IU/kg
Vitamin D: 423.890 IU/kg
Vitamin E: 36.261 IU/kg
Thiamin (Vitamin B1): 4.264 mg/kg
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2): 8.633 mg/kg
Pantothenic Acid: 16.380 mg/kg
Niacin: 63.876 mg/kg
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6): 4.336 mg/kg
Folic Acid: 0.913 mg/kg
Biotin: 0.254 mg/kg
Vitamin B12: 0.132 mcg/kg
Vitamin C: 39.138 mg/kg
Choline: 1897.077 mg/kg

Amino Acids
Arginine: 0.553%
Histidine: 0.260%
Isoleucine: 0.363%
Leucine: 0.693%
Lysine: 0.622%
Methionine: 0.286%
Methionine-Cystine: 0.536%
Phenylalanine: 0.546%
Phenylalanine-Tyrosine: 0.963%
Threonine: 0.365%
Tryptophan: 0.141%
Valine: 0.484%
Taurine: 940 mg/kg
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM
-

The ingredients look fine but I always think you should stay away from the "exotic proteins" in case your pet develops allergies.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Nature's Variety Instinct is a great food! Good for your clan for liking it, especially the cats (because it's so "healthy", lots of cats don't like it right away if they're used to other flavour enhanced "junk foods"). If you ever want to try the N.V. raw frozen medallions (for both cats and dogs), there's a coupon for a free bag here: http://naturesvariety.com/tryit/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 27th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I must say, I'm most impressed with this food. I've tried almost every variety of the better canned foods for cats, and not one of the cats has liked any of them. To have all indoor and outdoor cats gobbling the stuff up, it's amazing to me. As for the dogs.....kees are not big eaters, and tend to be a little picky. Like I said, red meat doesn't interest these guys at all, no beef or venison or lamb, but the rabbit variety of NV was eaten quickly (they never eat quickly), and the bowls were cleaned first sitting, (they never eat their bowls clean first sitting, usually go back 2 or 3 times to finish it if at all).
I'm going to pick up the chicken and duck varieties and see if it's accepted as well. This might just give the wellness canned they've been eating up until now a good run for it's money.

cindy
Old April 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Keeshonds aren't big eaters??!!! I am laughing as I think of the Keeshond who was a Thursday daycare with my Eskimo and the 2 of them in unison counter surfed and then floor surfed and begged together for cookies from everyone. They made eye contact and then started their act together. My Eskie is a major glutton and loves everything, except parsnips (piece fell on floor). He eats Fromms Salmon A La Veg or the Duck and Sweet Potato kibble. When I was recently in the states, I saw the Halo food that Ellen DeGeneres is now co-owner of - they had lots of the cat variety and a few smalls tins of the dog food, so I bought 2 small cans and used them as a topping on El's food - he loved it of course. But canned food (except for emergency i/d - would result in many butt baths.)
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

No, I must say, none of 4 kees we've had, have been chow hounds. We had one dog with a weight issue, our first dog, and his wasn't because of overeating, it was his thyroid. Once he started taking meds for that he slimmed right back to normal.

Cindy
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Cindy, you are lucky to not have a little gourmand. Many of the Eskies on the Eskie board are all on "diets" due to their love of food. Coincidently, someone posted ther this morning that there had been a special on food produced I think by the company that makes "Instinct" but she did clearly post that it was not the Instinct that was a special - BUT - that the brand she got did have a rabbit formula which both of her Eskies absolutely love. So must be something tasty in that rabbit. My guy can tell the difference - when he takes time to chew - between the Duck and Salmon - but heck, it's food and he loves everything except the dreaded parsnip.