Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Formerly hgd24

Question Tick repllent

We had a new home built in an area that is heavily wooded and we also have a new baby. Currently, we are using Frontline Top Spot and it does a great job of keeping ticks from biting and staying latched onto our dog; however, we are noticing ticks on us, on floors and furniture. We can deal with them being on us but we are really concerned about them getting on our baby. Is there anything that repels ticks from getting on dogs or do we just have to deal with them being brought into the house and hope that they don't get on the baby?
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hello

check out this site

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/tick-repellant.html

I just googled the problem and found a few sites...

Good Luck

Cindy

O by the way! Welcome to pets.ca...cant wait to see some pics of your family!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Depending on where you are and how bad the tick situation is, I wouldn't try to rely on just the herbal remedy. The reason is that, even if it works (and I haven't tried it, so I can't offer any advice on the particular herbal remedy from Winston's site), it likely is not killing the ticks--just repelling them. That means that if the ticks manage to cling to the dog before the herbal repellent kicks in and then abandon ship (so to speak) indoors, the tick is still in good health and can attach to the next mammal it finds--you or, heaven forbid, your baby.

The one big advantage to the chemical repellent is that once the tick is exposed to it, it's not in good health. We see hundreds of ticks in the house a season, even with the Frontline--but we've never had a tick abandon a dog and then feel good enough to attach to us. They've always died shortly afterward.

If you decide to use both the Frontline and any herbal remedy, check with your vet first to make sure that the two applications aren't going to fight each other or work together to make the dog sick.

Having said all that, thanks for the site, Winston --I'm going to do some research on the Rose Geranium essential oil!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I live in a heavily populated tick area too. We use Frontline on our cats (although they are mostly indoor pets) and on our dog. If we go out into the yard, I spray my boots/sneakers, and bottoms of my pants w/ a good bug spray (i.e. deep woods off, cutter, or bens100). this seems to help keep them off me, therefore, we don't carry them into the house. In all my years of living in a big tick area, I've never seen them in the house (other than on the dog). I've never even seen one on either of the cats.

We use Frontline PLUS. By looking on the manufacturer's website, the differences as far as I can tell between the Top Spot and the Plus is the Plus kills all stages of 4 major ticks, including deer ticks, which carry Lyme disease.

Since you have so many ticks, you may consider switching to the Frontline PLUS instead of the Top Spot.
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Swift Tribe

yep, id keep up with the topical but look into planting tick repellents around the house, where the dog plays out side... shoudl work well to keeping them not only off the dog but away from the house and the yard. mints work towards keeping them away but there were several other thigns that work well too. oregano??? catnip?? errr..... cinnamon?? marigold?? im not sure about any of those but they are springing to mind.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdme View Post
Currently, we are using Frontline Top Spot and it does a great job of keeping ticks from biting and staying latched onto our dog; however... Is there anything that repels ticks from getting on dogs or do we just have to deal with them being brought into the house and hope that they don't get on the baby?
Frontline Plus is one of my favorite tick medications due to its safety and efficacy but you are correct, it does not repel in any way.

There is a new medication called Promeris which does however there are several problems with it - it can have some serious side effects so with the baby, promeris may not be the right one. It also smells really bad.

The Advantix does repel however this effect only last up to two weeks.

Perhaps a professional exterminator that can help you find something safe for both babies and dogs? Merial the manufacturer of Fronline Plus recommends that is ticks are still being seen 2 weeks after application of the medication, then then environment needs to be treated. There is nothing stronger than Frontline Plus and additional medication on the pet is not recommended. Hope that helps.
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:58 AM

After petsitting for my sister, I had a bad problem with fleas. I mixed 1 part eucaliptus oil with 10 parts water, sprayed everything in the whole house, and it got rid of every flea! I understand that it can be poisonous for pets if they ingest it, so you would want to use extreme caution using it around pets. It also smells bad.
I have also read that if you plant it around your yard and garden that it helps repel many types of insects and pests.
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDorsie View Post
I have also read that if you plant it around your yard and garden that it helps repel many types of insects and pests.
I have read that eucalyptus and manzanita plants have natural insect repelling resins. Interesting idea to have eucalyptus in the yard...
Old April 26th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
I have read that eucalyptus and manzanita plants have natural insect repelling resins. Interesting idea to have eucalyptus in the yard...
Thank for the spelling correction of eucalyptus.