Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old June 16th, 2004, 09:29 PM

Question toilet training my cat

I'm trying to toilet train my 1 yr. old neutered cat. i have put a container that fits just right in the toilet bowl with some cat litter in it. His litter box has been in the washroom his whole life so i'm guessing he should be trained fairly easy...My question is...should i hide his litter box from him and hope he'll take to the toilet right a way...or is there an easier way to train him...I'm afraid if i leave his box out he'll never be inclined to use the toilet. Is that so?
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you going to teach him how to flush after?

I'm sorry,I just couldn't resist....

I have no clue as to how to do this....But I don't think he will pick it up that fast for you to get rid of his box.If anything,he may start to go where ever he wants.

Maybe someone else knows about this.
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

No,I have no idea either,but that certainly would be ideal
I am sure you can look it up somewhere,maybe try a Google-search!
I have read there is a box you can fit in the toilet with cat-litter and gradually wean him off it,but if you remove the litter-box just like that,he'll more than likely find something nice and soft to pee on
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:25 PM

Show him where the new litter is and take away the old one. I just recently changed the litter box's place from 2nd floor to 1st floor of my house and I showed my cat where I had placed it, and he never went anywhere else. Your situation should ne be very different. The tricky part might be to remove the box from the toilet once he gets used to going there.

Cats are extremely clean and will not go on the floor for no reason unless there are no other alternatives, if he knows there is a litter box at some other place, it should not be any different than if you would have changed the location of the litter box.

Good luck - and that's a great idea - i should try that!
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think this is a good idea, and unless you are a professional animal trainer, I would not attempt it.

You are likely to end up with a very stressed cat who will simply find other places to eliminate.
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard of training a cat that way. I have a friend that has four pet birds and they all have their own bathroom. She leaves the door open and the light on at all times and they go as they need to. She has made a pirch thing so they can sit on and than at the end of the day she flushes it. They are so funny.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Start by putting his litter box on top of the toilet. Once he is OK with that, get a disposable foil turky roaster and fill it with a bit of litter and put it in on the toilet, fitting it perfectly so there is no chance of him stepping in it and making it fall in. Taking the top toilet "seat" and lifting it up and putting the foil roaster under it so that it clamps down on it might be a good idea. Once he is OK with this, start by making a little hole, and gradualy increasing the size in the pan. Each hole you make should only be made after he is comfortable with the new "thing" he has to go to the bathroom in. After the whole pan has been cut out, leave it like that until he gets used to it, and then take the pan out.

Flushing: No idea

This should take a while, but in time he'll probably be able to do it.