Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM

red inflamed gums=FIP?

Hello All!!!
I am new to the site and love the idea of conversing with fellow pet lovers. I am currently at my wits end with the diagnosis I have had by 3 different vets. So I would like to ask for your help
I have a 1 1/2 year old female tortishell cat
Symptoms include: (in order of how they appeared)
spitting out her dry food, "screaming" and “gagging” on her dry food before spitting it out, Weight loss, Irritability( does not play with my other cats) Bad breath, Drooling, Unkempt appearance, hiding under furniture during meal time. (While my other cats eat)

Vet Tests performed:
Mouth examination
Blood test for FIV (with negative results)

1st diagnosis-severe gingivitis, was prescribed antirobe aquadrops for 7 days (regular vet)
2nd diagnosis- severe gingivitis, was prescribed antirobe for 14 days (same clinic but regular vet on vacation)
3rd diagnosis – FIP presenting itself as a severe gum inflammation, given advice to offer easy to eat food and to prepare for many more infections to come and go. (Emergency clinic vet)
The 3rd diagnosis was reconfirmed by regular vet who prescribed more antirobe and gave me some easy to digest wet food (medi-cal?)

Each diagnosis was made at a different vets office, however even my “regular vet” is new to me as I have recently moved to a new area.

Every day she is given antirobe aquadrops (max dosage 25ml). Everything she eats I have to put in the blender including wet food and I add warm water to it, she seems to only eat when I make it this way.

I am devastated with the diagnosis I refuse to believe that a cat can be diagnosed with a serious disease without some kind of test to prove it! Also Symptoms aside she is still very affectionate, she still plays with her toys and seems otherwise happy.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Does anyone agree with the diagnosis?
Does anyone know of any herbal suppliments I could use instead of the Antirobe? (I hate to keep her on this medication for such a long time)
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Nanimos,I am no vet,but to me all the symptoms seem to be from teeth-problems,infected painful gums,but I would assume the vets would have easily discovered if that is the case
Weightloss of course is due to her not eating,irritability because she's in pain..
Sorry I can be of no help,I hope you'll get some answers and a cure for your kitties problems.
Old March 29th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww, sorry that you and your cat are going through this. It sounds like she might have stomatitis, which can be quite challenging to treat. It's basically a chronic inflammatory response (auto-immune disorder) to plaque bacteria, but why it develops is not very well understood (feline calcivirus, feline herpes virus, bartonella, and/or FIV may play a role). Treatment can involve everything from antibiotics, to corticosteriods, lactoferrin, frequent dental cleanings (like every 2 months), home teeth-brushing, tooth removal, and in some cases even a full-mouth extraction may be required. I wish that there were more holistic options for this horrible disorder. The only thing I can think of that might help with the pain is oral administration of slippery elm bark syrup, which can be soothing to inflamed mucus membranes. Problem is, your kitty probably doesn't want you messing with her mouth at all and it might end up causing more stress than it's worth. Have the vets mentioned anything about having a dental done?

Here are some links for you to check out:
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/stomatitis.html
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...tomatitis.html
http://www.dvmnews.com/dvm/DVM+InFoc.../detail/162427
http://www.dentalvet.com/vets/cats/f...stomatitis.htm

I wish you all the best in dealing with this. Please let us know how your kitty makes out.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:47 PM

update

Many thanks for your advise! Unfortunaltely she is not getting any better this time on the medication. (antirobe) I have an appointment scheduled for this saturday yet again! it seems like i am there every weekend, I feel so helpless She is so miserable She did not eat her breakfast this morning, I was terrified so i immediately went out and got some cat milk (the one in the tetra pack its made by whiskas) I was hoping she could at lease drink that and that it would be some what nutirtious. She had very little of it. She is also hiding under the bed and when i bring the milk to her she runs from the dish.
If the vet dosnt figure out how to help her this saturday I dont know what I am going to do:sad:
*After doing some research myself i happened upon one of those stomatis articles you provided (story of boots) I was wondering if that could be the cause as well. I am going to bring this up with the vet this weekend. also do you know of any articles that could tell me if this could be contagious to my other cats?

Last edited by Nanimos; April 3rd, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Kitty pimp

dont move the milk and food around keep it near her hiding spot if you like and when she feels like it she will come for some
what happens is that she is equating eating woth pain now I think you and the vet have to find some way to get her gums less inflamed and get her on some kind of pain med its gonna be a long tough haul if she has auto immune disorders
good luck i hope she feels a it better

Also make sure all her food is at room temp or a bit warmer so the tempeture shock to her mouth is not to bad
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=368

Here is a link for you to read.

My co worker has a friend whose cat had the exact same symptoms as yours. The vet pulled all the cats teeth out and the cat is fine now.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Kitty pimp

yah sometimes its the only way it seems extreme but we have a number of cats that had to be done too
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:29 PM

hope it does not come to that

I really hope that it does not have to come to the removal of all her teeth. Can she still eat dry food if she has no teeth?
Has anyone heard of treating cats with coenzyme Q10, i heard that it is useful for treating gum disease?
Thanks again for all your support, I am really feeling helpless thru this situation! I am counting down the minutes until the vets tomorrow morning!
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanimos View Post
I really hope that it does not have to come to the removal of all her teeth. Can she still eat dry food if she has no teeth?
I hope it doesn't either, but if nothing else works, it's better than the alternative. I also think your vet has to start being more aggressive about this. The antibiotics alone are obviously not working. As for eating dry food, it's actually better for ALL cats, teeth or no teeth, to be eating wet food instead. http://www.catinfo.org/

Quote:
Has anyone heard of treating cats with coenzyme Q10, i heard that it is useful for treating gum disease?
Yup, there's some thought that it can help with mild gum issues, but it's not going to be effective enough for the severity of your situation I'm afraid. I currently give my cat 30mg of CoQ10 daily for cardiomyopathy, and he still has some redness in his gums, so I wouldn't pin your hopes on it as a cure.

Quote:
Thanks again for all your support, I am really feeling helpless thru this situation! I am counting down the minutes until the vets tomorrow morning!
Good luck! I hope they come up with a better treatment plan. Let us know what happens.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM

final diagnosis

Well the vet has finally decided that she has stomatis! she is now on antibiotics and pain killers. They gave her a pain killer injection at the vets and when we got home she had 2 bowls of cat milk and a couple licks of wet food before she ran away from it again! I was so happy to see her eat!

Now I have a huge decision to make! My vet said that they only way to comletely cure her is a total mouth extraction!!! Just like you had diagnosed. Unfortunately since they did not detect this sooner they said that it may have infected the bones in her mouth, so the surgery is going to be in excess of $2,200!!!!!!! I immediately asked for a discount since i blame the vet for not diagnosing this sooner, they agreed and said they would do their best but it was still going to be in the 2,000 range. I do not have this kind of money and i am devistated to know that the alternative for her will be constant pain.
my heart aches as i write this next question to you. Does anyone know of a place where i could surrender her? Where they could perform the operation she needs and then adopt her out to a loving home?
It pains me to know i would have to give her up but the alternative of putting her down, when she could live full long life without pain is what i really want for her. I lover her dearly and want the best for her, if i can not provide it then i need to put my feelings aside for her well being.
sincerely, Totally Devistated, and appreciative of your help
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Can you apply for Care Credit? It's a no-interest credit card kinda thing used for medical and veterinary expenses. In the U.S. there are a ton of organizations that provide financial aid for pets: http://www.uan.org/index.cfm?navid=1...ate_and_Canada, but not so many that I know of here in Canada. Otherwise, would your vet accept a payment plan?

You're very brave for wanting to get your cat help even if it means you have to surrender her. Some vet clinics will fund the surgery and then re-home (maybe talk to your vet?). But do at least look into the Care Credit program. I'd really hate to see you have to give her up.

Old April 5th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Nanimos,please try everything possible,talk to your vet or anyone able to help..
Your kitty loves you and obviously you love her,so her place is with you.
I know from Luba there is a place you can get help with vetfees or a cheaper vet,but I don't remember
I will write Luba an e-mail and see if she answers,ok..
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Thank you for your kindness and ideas!
I am currently searching the internet for anywhere in ontario,canada that will be able to assist me in providing this surgery for at a lower rate. Unfortunately at this time I am unable to apply for financial assistance, I am simply unable to afford any more debt at this time. That is why I am painfully pondering the idea of giving her to an association that will provide the surgery and then re-adopt her out. I will find comfort in the idea that she will live a life free from pain, she is a wonderful pet and anyone that gets her would be lucky to have her.
If anyone has any knowledge of either of these places please let me know.
Thank you
Old June 21st, 2011, 08:04 AM

Get help from University of Veterinary Medicine

Quote:
Thank you for your kindness and ideas!
I am currently searching the internet for anywhere in ontario,canada that will be able to assist me in providing this surgery for at a lower rate. Unfortunately at this time I am unable to apply for financial assistance, I am simply unable to afford any more debt at this time. That is why I am painfully pondering the idea of giving her to an association that will provide the surgery and then re-adopt her out. I will find comfort in the idea that she will live a life free from pain, she is a wonderful pet and anyone that gets her would be lucky to have her.
If anyone has any knowledge of either of these places please let me know.
Thank you
To save your cat is try contacting the University of Veterinary in your area. They would love to treat your cat at low cost! I've tried it before. Students are assisted by professional vet and they are very compassionate. Another suggestion is each one of us here will donate funds for her up to the cost of the surgery. We can contribute a dollar and up until it reaches to the amount of $2000?
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowko View Post
To save your cat is try contacting the University of Veterinary in your area.
Meowko, this thread is over 3 years old.