Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Mickey is injured

I came home from work, and what do I see. Blood all over the side of his face,
He has a bite wound about 3/4 inches long. And a bloody nose.
I know I have a dog with high prey drive, but Roxy has become more interested in the cats as well. Not all bad though.
I cleaned him up, witch hazel, and polysporin, he does not need stitches, but not the same cat, he is scared ****less of even me now.
Other than keeping all animals separate, what else can I do.
I do not want to come home to a dead cat...No one touches Tigger, only Mickey
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM

im sorry about your cat. i dont know what else you can do, really. i would take it to the vet just to be safe. atleast get yourself some antibiotics. good luck with everything
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

If you've got some Rescue Remedy on hand, it works well in just this kind of situation. I'd definitely separate the cats when you're not there; a big vet bill (plus the inevitable guilt ) is probably not what you need right now.
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

We keep our cats separated from the dogs while we're out, whether it be at work or whatever. The cats are set up in the master bedroom with their litter boxes and food and water. I also have the same set up in the basement for a couple of the cats who prefer to stay down there during the night while we're sleeping. The dogs are not allowed upstairs or in the basement, the stairs going up are gated and as for the basement, they don't even attempt to go down those stairs. We do close that door while we're not home just not to put temptation there for them.
It's not fair to your cat to not give him dog free areas he can wander around in peace. My pups just want to play with the cats however, not kill them. They've been taught to be nice and not to bite.

Cindy
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Is there a reason why Roxy is not crated when you are not home?

Personally, I can't imagine bringing home a shelter dog, not knowing any history at all, and letting it run loose in a multiple pet home when nobody is home to monitor.

As most rescuers and foster homes will tell you, when you first bring a shelter dog home, there is a "honeymoon" period when the dog is on it's best behaviour while it learns the ropes of your home. As it becomes more comfortable, bad habits tend to show up that need to be dealt with.

Keep a close eye on your kitty. Animal bites are the worst so far as infection and such.
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor Mickey :sad: I'd crate Roxy too, or at least give Mickey a room he can be safe in.

Mine are ok, no teeth hitting anyone, but the cats still have a door tied too shut for the dogs to get through, so they can get away if they want to.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I can not crate Roxy, She is beyond fearful of a crate.
She used to live with cats and kids. She was only at the shelter for 1 month.
Anyways for now I have a whole room set up for the cats while I am away. And they are let out when I am home...Thanks
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

so u dont know who did it rottilover? roxy or harley?

How is mickey doing today?
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I hope you find having the cats in their own room while you're not there works for you. It's been working for me for many years, and while I've never had trouble with the dogs hurting the cats, all of my cats, past and present can get the dogs worked up if they start playing and running up the cat trees and what not in view of the dogs. Then everyone has a chance of getting hurt if we're not there to intervene. My master bedroom has a cat tree in it plus loads of toys so they can play until their hearts content without having to worry about the dogs horning in on their fun.

Cindy
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Well I found out which dog it was......It was Roxy, I found a cat scratch on the side of her snout.
Well I can not crate her, so I am going to be blocking her off in the kitchen. No choice....I will leave the cats out, and block her in...
I am so sorry I jumped at it being Harley.... Lavendarott was right, I gave her freedom too soon....
Back to begining
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
boubou

Wow, I just read this thread....I think you should definitely keep the cat(s) separate from the dogs when your not home. I'll tell you my experience, it really opened my eyes to the whole 'cat - dog' thing....

When I bought my first house, I had three wonderful dogs, the most gentle creatures you could ever meet - I mean, they were great with other dogs, cats, kids, everything! One was a purebred lab, the others mix lab/collie. I had three cats and everyone lived together great. Until one day, I came home and found a cat lying in my bathroom, soaking wet and DEAD. Then I realized it was my Torpedo...I just couldn't understand what happened. I never suspected my dogs. Never. I figured she must have died of a heart attack and the dogs sniffed her, that's why she was wet....until it happened again. This time it was a cat I had just taken in a few weeks earlier. Same scenario; no blood, just dead and very wet. Then I realized that it WAS my dogs that were killing my cats. Both cats were always very nervous around my dogs and they probably sensed that. When you have a home with more than one dog, it brings out the prey drive in them. All it takes is your dog to corner your cat and make your cat hiss and that gets them going. It doesn't mean that all dogs will actually kill a cat the way my dogs did (I believe it was my border collie cross Puppy who actually did the killing, the others probably motivated him by barking at the cats), but it's still not worth the risk....

Even though those 3 dogs have since passed on, I always make sure my dogs are separate from my cats, even if I'm gone to the store for 5 minutes. I have a large, wooden baby gate and this keeps my dogs in my living room and the cats always have an 'escape route'. I wouldn't ever take that chance again..

I hope Mickey is OK. I'm sure it's going to take him a long time to get anywhere near your dogs again...poor thing. And as for Roxy, she deserves MUCH more than a scratch on her nose...I'd withhold the cookies for a few days!!

Last edited by Boubou; March 26th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Owned by goldens

mickey is injured

Poor Mickey but thank goodness it wasn't any worse. I have had a number of fosters over the years and always keep them separated from my two ..just in case. I have a baby gate permanently set up in my kitchen and that is where the foster goes. As mentioned there is a honeymoon period with foster dogs. They will be wonderful for a few weeks and then their true personality comes out. Sometimes it is good and other times, not so good.
I think it is a good idea to separate everyone for a while.
I guess I missed it but why can't Roxy be crate trained? I have a dog like that also. Putting her in a crate made her even more anxious
Old March 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Roxy will cower, look at you, roll her eyes, and if you try to lure her in, she will growl, and we know what can go from there.
I have been trying to help her conquer her fear, but NOTHING, I mean NOTHING will make her go in the crate. I put a bone, hot dogs, have harley stay in it, sto show her all is good. NOPE she is deathly scared of it.
It got to the point where she will put her head in, but not her paw...Good start, but I much rather her blocked off in the kitchen with a doggie bed and water.

As for the dogs being separated from the cats...I am going to crate Harley as well. I do not want to take a chance...
Old March 27th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Do you know if she was she abused while she was in a crate?? Was Roxy a surrender or conviscated from her previous owners?

Poor Roxy:sad:. I find cats will adjust quite fine locked in a room as long as they have everything they need. It does make them feel more secure. to Mickey.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Rottie owner and lover

She was in a home before, I know nothing about that home, other than the woman dropped her off saying she was a stray...NOT...
The cats will have free roam, as they do nothing wrong, the dogs will be separated from them.
Harley likes his crate, and she is comfortable in the kitchen..
I will see how well this will work
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Rottielover so sorry to read this,it must have been very upsetting both for you and Mickey:sad:
Thank Dog it was not much worse,Mickey must have had a chance to escape.
Roxy obviously has had bad expeiences beeing crated before,I know of a person who uses the crate as punishment,his dog(Fate a Husky) is just terrified of the crate.
I hope everything works out for everybody and that Mickey will get over his fear
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hey Rottielover! I was just thinking..do you know for sure it was Roxy? cause she could have gotten a swat from Mickey leaving the scratch you mentioned? Regardless I know what you mena about the crate. I could never crate Winston now! he lays in it, loves it but dont close the door!

If Roxy is happy in the kitchen heck why not! as long as everyone is happy right!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown