Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 24th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Live well, laugh often

Need advice on yard "potty" place

In an effort to save the rest of our lawn we are thinking of creating a few pee zones for the backyard. The dogs have a few spots they particularly use (Lucy especially) and I was thinking of sectioning off those areas with some landscaping ties and then possibly putting either sand or bark mulch in those spots.

Has anyone else got those types of areas? Has any tried those pee posts with phermones? Riley has begun lifting his leg the past 3-4 months although much less in the back yard so I thought a pee post might entice him to use the spots?

Thoughts?
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm thinking that if they are used to peeing on grass only, it may be difficult for them to learn to go on sand or mulch . I know training to go in one area does work although for adult dogs, you kinda have to start all over again with the treats for positive reinforcement They also have to be supervised at all times so you can discourage when they go someplace you don't want.

I've thought about those posts for Lucky but haven't tried one yet. As he was neutered as an adult, he still feels the need to mark just about every blade of grass and branch he can find . Thank dog teaching him to stop marking in the house didn't take very long.

Btw, nice to see you back Teri .
Old March 24th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Live well, laugh often

Thanks LP .

I don't really think the sand or mulch thing will be much of an issue as they both pee easily just about anywhere and Lucy will pretty much pee on command. I guess I'm also thinking that because the popular areas are already so damaged that at the very least I could hopefully make those spots look a bit better .