Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
One day at a time

Normal Behaviour?

Guinness got his second set of shots on Thursday afternoon. The vet was very nice and gentle, and besides him jerking backwards onto the needle a bit, he didn't struggle or yelp. He got a needle on both his sides, and the left side bled a bit, but the vet stopped it. He was scared, but was fine with me... He was fine for the first little while, but suddenly it hurt him when I tried to lift him. Now, it whines when he sits up or lays down or tries to stand up. He won't walk. He hobbled into the kitchen while I did dishes and cooked, but when I put everything in the living room he couldn't follow me, he just lay there, it was too painful to walk the few feet to the living room.

He sleeps lots. He doesn't want to eat or drink. What worries me is how hard it is for him to move. I don't know if he would be more comfortable with me in my bed, or in his crate.

He will fall asleep, and wake up suddenly and turn around - I thought he was trying to bite me, but it was him waking up, like he was having a nightmare. Was he dreaming about the vet?

It brings me to tears, he looks so miserable. My poor Guinness...

I know I might be worrying too much. It hasn't even been 24 hours... but I figured I'd post this before I woke up, hoping someone might be able to tell me this is either very abnormal or very normal.

And if it is normal, how long do I have to wait before knowing something IS wrong?
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Kitty pimp

have you talked to the vetz?
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I would call the vet, Chibi. Dachshunds are very prone to back injury and he may have strained something.

It is normal for a pup to get lethargic and even run a slight fever after getting vaccinated, but what you're describing sounds more like back pain.

s for Guiness.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

If the problems exist for longer than 24 hours, call your vet. I can tell you from my experience with 5 Dachshunds that each experienced some resididual discomfort in the hind end after said shots which disappeared within 24 hours. I expect your vet is closed today - if problem still persists tomorrow I would place a call. Also, your Dachshund is not dreaming about his experience at the vet's - they seem to forget that as soon as they leave - unless of course they are in there for 40 days following full back surgery - that I can tell you leaves an impression - not so much while sleeping, but at the sight of the vet clinic. As for moving around in his sleep, Dachshunds do that as do most other dogs. They like to change their position constantly - and rearrange the covers. Unfortunately as you move to try and lessen the effect on your sleep, they move too, as they love to cuddle. I hope your vet gave you information on Dachshunds and the back/neck disc disease. If I were you - as I previously suggested - if VetInsurance is still covering Dachshund disc disease I would sign Guinness up asap since the surgery is close to $8,000. In 2004 it was being covered, but not sure now due to high incidence rate.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:37 PM
One day at a time

My vet explained the me that it was very important for me to never let him go down stairs, or jump from high things - though he did say going up the stairs carefully was fine, and even good exercise. When I asked for a starter package they were out of the dog ones, but had cat ones.
He seems a bit more energetic today, but is still really tender.

He is not his normal energetic self, but he is walking around.
Old March 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Going up the stairs is a little easier on the back than going down (if you have ever pulled a back muscle yourself you will know this) - but, if you can prevent Guinness from using the stairs period it will be helpful in the long run. He who runs up the stairs loves to run down and Dachshunds can run VERY fast.