Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old March 19th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Exclamation Deer Rescue for injured deer

Does anybody know of any organizations that do rescues on deer who are injured in the Kingston/Brockville area? Ministry of Natural Resources will not help.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I don't know how close this is to you, but they may be able to help you.

Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary
8633 10th Line of Essa,
RR # 2, Barrie, Ontario, L4M 4S4
(705) 721-4730 Fax: (705) 721-4059
Bear Creek Exotic Wildlife Sanctuary is NOT A ZOO! We are a volunteer driven non-profit organization dedicated to the survival of rare and endangered species. We are also involved in humane wildlife rescue and rehabilitation of animals involved in public concerns, and as always, we provide a safe haven for unwanted, abused and injured exotic and zoo surplus animals.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Found this too.

Wildlife Hotline 1-705-534-4350
The Ontario SPCA Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre's telephone hotline enables Wildlife Centre staff to respond to your concerns regarding injured, sick and orphaned wildlife. The Centre also provides advice on long-term, humane solutions in dealing with conflicts between wildlife and people. For more information read our How to Help Sick, Injured or Orphaned Animals and Living with Wildlife fact sheets.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks happycats, I have to wait until I get home to call, I am at work and can't call long distance.

The poor deer can run, but not far and there is a pack of coyotes that have been in my yard this winter. Its front leg looks like it is broken at the knee joint. At least it is getting fed. I had the OPP out last night, but they are not authorized to do anything unless it can't get up.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Happycats suggestions are near Barrie and Midland, which are about 3 and 4 hours from Kingston, at the least. I doubt they will be able to help you. I suggest you get your local media involved in the deer's plight. I fear it may need to be humanely PTS, which as it is wild likely means shot. But at least someone who knows how to do that might come forward. In my experience, even thought the OPP will tell you they are trained in wildlife, it is not so. Or it is sadly inadequate.

Poor old MNR just does not have the money to do these things anymore, thought they would likely either let nature take it's course or shoot it too. If you contact the media it might be a good opportunity to expand on the situation our provincial government has allowed our only provincial government wildlife administration group get into.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

AspenValley Wildlife Sanctuary

This place would not be near to you, but if you're still looking for options/advice they may be of some help
http://www.aspenvalleywildlifesanctuary.com/

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I feel the deer should be humanely down. By not be able to do something right away, you are prolonging this animals suffering. Also, by him trying to get up and run (since deers are flight animals) is causing more injury to the deer and not to mention painful suffering.

It is also highly likely that coyotes will get to it first. I am sure they are aware of a injured deer in their presence.

In wildlife injuries like these..you have to be able to get the injured animal to a safety spot, weather it be a rescue/rehabber...away from dangers..like in few hours and I use few very lightly. It should be within the hour.

A few hours, might be if you know someone can monitor the animal at all times. The animal does not leave your sight...therefore you can make sure that they animal will be safe.

You can try calling the Toronto Wildlife center. I don't know the number off by heart. You will have to leave a message. Just when you do put on it that is URGENT. They should get back to you quickly. They do have a web site.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ACO22