Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 19th, 2008, 02:14 AM

Kitten suckling

Okay so (according to the person we got them from) we picked up our sister pair of kittens when they were 7 weeks.... which if I remember correctly is the recommended time that you were able to take them from their mother...but now, one of them keeps sucking on blankets and everything. We've tried giving her a teddy bear to suck on but even when she sucks on that, she's extremely loud. We don't want to discipline her or teach her it's bad because it's just a behavioural thing but it's interrupting with our sleep at night. (But it's just so cute too... at times)

Someone help @.@
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:10 AM

Once when I was a kid we had a kitten that my mum had to return because she had been taken from her mother too early. But she was only six weeks I think.
That said, it may be something your kitten will grow out of. My cat still will suckle on my fingers or something if she gets really comfy, and then it will turn to bites. And she's almost 2.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

My 4 year old Whinnie is actually doing that right now with the balnket on the couch.LOL.My 4 1/2 year old Casper also does it.And they have been doing it since they were 8 weeks.With Casper we actually got him a soother.I know I know.LOL.But till this day he will suckle on it.He actually walks around sucking on it..Now that's cute.Kittens don't actually have to be taken away from their mother at a young age to do this.

Here is a pic.lol
Attached Images

Old April 27th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
My 4 year old Whinnie is actually doing that right now with the balnket on the couch.LOL.My 4 1/2 year old Casper also does it.And they have been doing it since they were 8 weeks.With Casper we actually got him a soother.I know I know.LOL.But till this day he will suckle on it.He actually walks around sucking on it..Now that's cute.Kittens don't actually have to be taken away from their mother at a young age to do this.

Here is a pic.lol
That is cute!!!
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

This is something that some cats do,2 of mine do and they are 6 and 10yrs old.
I believe it's just a comfort thing,nothing to be alarmed about and please do not discipline the kitten for it.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:40 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Like the rest of the members I don't think you have a problem with the kitten. It is probably just habit. She may grow out of it, may not.
I have added a couple of sites here you may want to check out. While 7 weeks is not a horrible age to adopt a kitten at it is not ideal either. It is quite possible she was not fully weaned.
I have watched many moms with their kittens over the past year or so. Most of the time they are still feeding them up to 6 or 7 weeks. The weaning then happens over a period of a week or so. Mom in the "wild" are still hunting for the kittens when the kitties are 3 or 4 months. They usually start taking them hunting with them when they are around 3 months (12 wks) or so.

http://www.breedlist.com/faq/young.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitten

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:24 PM

My kitten suckles the other one!

BTW, I rearranged and changed their names. Shorthair is now Azrael (named after cat in the Smurfs) and the medium hair is now Kyuubi since I realized he's the destructive one (he's the one that chewed up my headphones and I caught him destroying my speaker wires and then again trying to eat through some computer wires).

Anyways, while they are cleaning themselves (and each other), Azrael would start to suckle Kyuubi. At first Kyuubi had a "WTF?!?" expression and would try to push Azrael away. However, Azrael was very persistent and wouldn't give up. Eventually, Kyuubi gives up and just allows Azrael to suckle away. Kyuubi has become more accepting of being suckled, but I can tell he isn't 100% comfortable with it.

I find it odd behavior because they are brothers and they were with their mother until the age of 10 weeks (the family I adopted from said they were both fully weened). Azrael could just be is a mama's boy... or maybe because Kyuubi is a dead ringer for their mother. I dunno...

I uploaded the suckling on YouTube. I even tried pulling Azrael away from Kyuubi, but that didn't stop him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD321uu0A2s
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I've read it's a comfort thing, and they do it sometimes when they are stressed to calm down. I have one that actively kneads my tummy when she's on my lap. My oldest (1 yr) used to suckle a wool blanket while kneading his bed, but he doesn't do it anymore, he stopped a few months ago.

As the others said, it's nothing to worry about.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:46 AM

Red face My Cat Suckled My Neck

I got my cat from the shelter when he was 8 weeks old, which is said to be a healthy time to adopt. During the night he would wake me up by suckling on the back of my neck. I didn't mind it at first. However, he also kneaded his paws into my neck at the same time ~ and after a month or so it began to hurt as his claws got longer and sharper. The pain from his claws was what bothered me most; but I'd also wake up with matts in my hair from the kneading. My vet's assistant told me that she had a cat that did that for 17 years (and also during the day when she was just sitting on the couch.) At that point I began praying it was just a phase. I tolerated it because he purred during the suckling and it seemed to calm him so much. I did attempt to redirect him as time went by, though. Thankfully, at 4 months he began doing it much less -- maybe once or twice a week. And by 6 months he completely outgrew the habit. I guess he thought I was his mama cat. Now he licks the hair on my arms, as if he thinks I'm HIS baby!
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Awww thats so sweet. My cat had kittens, at 8 weeks she really wasn't paying much attention to them and wasn't letting them nurse, so we decided to start weaning them a little more at a time, away from her.. we found homes for them not long after, and they were all with family members.. people I know who will take wonderful care of them, I was very worried about them going to strangers as I didn't want them to end up homeless.. or worse..

Only one out of the five still suckles, but I have been told she's doing it less and less. I guess it just depends on the kitten.. or cat. It has to be one of the sweetest things. My parents took two of the kittens and I love going over there to see them, they come running when I call their names.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:35 AM

New kitten

We got a new kitten, July 5th, when she was 7wks old. I think she was the runt of her litter.

She didn't start this suckling thing until this past week. Now all the sudden, every time she gets sleepy, she gets this very insistent nursing thing going. She attaches herself to my neck, or chin, is very loud about this business,and stays attached while she'd sleeping.

Very cute the first time, but now, how do I explain the "kitty hickies" to the neighbours???? If I'm not available, she goes for one of my sons, although she doesn't torture them for as long as me.

As I see everyone saying, I don't want to punish her for this behaviour ... but ...I'd prefer not to be kitty-slobbed all the time! I'm flattered that she's comforted by my presence, but is there any way to redirect her?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM

Same here

hey im new to the forum. I got a kitten two and a half weeks ago and called him Tiger and hes gorgeous though has discovered toilet paper. kittens and toilet paper DO NOT mix!! lol Anyway he has started suckling at my dressing gown and cries to get up to me to knead me and suck on it! he then falls asleep after a short while and its so cute but my poor dressing gown is taking a battering. he wont do it to anything else! i will put up pics once ive found my way around this forum!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm a softy

she probably will not grow out of it... imo 7 weeks is a bit too young, it is common for cats that are removed too young to do that, are you sure kitty was 7 weeks? I know the babies I have had to hand raise are likley to do that, and they don't seem to grow out of it always, I have even had kittens that sucked on themselves...
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM

I hope it won't stop

I know this sounds disturbing, but I am hoping my little guy (male kitten) of 9 months does not stop the suckiling. Makes me feel like a mom, since I cannot have kids. Do you think it will stop? I haven't had a complete night's sleep but it's worth it.
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Catlover2

When I was breeding Manx many moons ago, none of my kittens left before 12 weeks of age, the youngest one time was 11 wks. If they had to be airshipped they didn't go before 4 mos. old minimum. I only had one stud that allowed his kittens to suckle on him. He was very laid back and loved playing with them. It does seem to be a comfort thing, but could be because they left their moms too early. I can't remember having any kittens I kept doing that. I do know tho that Siamese cats have a thing for sucking on material, especially wool.