Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 17th, 2008, 05:34 PM

Nutritious meatballs - any suggestions?

I've been making homemade meatballs and Tommy adores them as a little treat (and toy). Since he's been ill again this year, the one thing I can guarantee he'll eat is the meatballs (last year when he was sick, he wouldn't eat ANYTHING... so this is a huge improvement!). I don't think it's very healthy to just eat meatballs though, they're not a very balanced diet... I just make them with lean ground beef, egg and breadcrumbs, no spices or anything for his. Is there a way that I can make meatballs that are more nutritious, more of a balanced meal? I don't have a problem cooking them for him, if he'll eat them I'll make them for the next 15 years if I have to! I just want to make sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs, and if this year is anything like last year this not-eating period could go on for a few months so I know he'll need more than just ground beef.

Any suggestions for a well-balanced meal that fits into a meatball for my furry goofball? It HAS to be meatball-shaped, he won't eat raw or anything too big or anything he can't play with... meatballs seem to be the only thing he enjoys.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Papa D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
I've been making homemade meatballs and Tommy adores them as a little treat (and toy). Since he's been ill again this year, the one thing I can guarantee he'll eat is the meatballs (last year when he was sick, he wouldn't eat ANYTHING... so this is a huge improvement!). I don't think it's very healthy to just eat meatballs though, they're not a very balanced diet... I just make them with lean ground beef, egg and breadcrumbs, no spices or anything for his. Is there a way that I can make meatballs that are more nutritious, more of a balanced meal? I don't have a problem cooking them for him, if he'll eat them I'll make them for the next 15 years if I have to! I just want to make sure he's getting all the nutrients he needs, and if this year is anything like last year this not-eating period could go on for a few months so I know he'll need more than just ground beef.

Any suggestions for a well-balanced meal that fits into a meatball for my furry goofball? It HAS to be meatball-shaped, he won't eat raw or anything too big or anything he can't play with... meatballs seem to be the only thing he enjoys.
pm luckypenny....about satin balls
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I got these recipes for satin balls off of another site, hope it helps!

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

and another

Satan Balls
cooked ground beef
raw eggs (without the shells)
cottage cheese
canned pumpkin (not the pie filler)
cooked rice
bread crumbs

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:35 PM
-

What if you ground his kibble in a food processor or blender and used it in place of the breadcrumbs?
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Tommysmom, the recipe for raw satin balls that happycats posted is the one I've used with much success. Not only does the molasses provide the b-complex vitamins, but it make the balls very palatable for dogs. I've yet to meet a pup who doesn't love them. You may want to cut the recipe down to give it a try though, so as not to waste. I'd also recommend that you put the eggs with shells through a blender first as well. It hurt to squish the broken shells with your hands ouch!

And for variety plus bone content, you can use ground chicken. See if you can find a butcher who would grind chicken necks in with the chicken meat ( not more than 10% necks though).
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
I got these recipes for satin balls off of another site, hope it helps!
Yes , and they got it from here

I used the second recipe (less ingredients , easier for cooking challenged person as me ) but I'm pretty sure Tommy will love any one of those recipe
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Yes , and they got it from here

I used the second recipe (less ingredients , easier for cooking challenged person as me ) but I'm pretty sure Tommy will love any one of those recipe
LOL as long as it's helping pets, it's all good!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old March 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM

Thank you everybody! I have read about satin balls on here, but I thought mostly they were used along with food to fatten up underweight doggies... you guys think they'd be ok as a main meal for a little while?

I know Tommy would love either recipe, he just adores meatballs, and quite frankly if that's all he wants to eat for the rest of his life I'd be fine with making them as long as I can make them healthy enough for him! This year he hasn't gotten as sick as last year and I think each year it will probably be less and less... I figure if he'll only eat meatballs, well, then fine - I'll keep him supplied with meatballs! He likes to have one a night as a treat normally, I was just surprised that he still ate them even when he started getting sick again but I'm certainly not going to complain, LOL.
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
What if you ground his kibble in a food processor or blender and used it in place of the breadcrumbs?
I really like that idea... that way I know he's getting all the same good stuff he normally gets! Do you think the food would lose all it's nutrients if it was cooked in a meatball? That's a great way to fool him into eating his food.
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
-

Satin balls are very rich , if Tommy doesn't need to gain any weight , you could make smaller balls or make him salmon treats ? My dogs love them too ( ok , ok , my dogs love anything edible )
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
I really like that idea... that way I know he's getting all the same good stuff he normally gets! Do you think the food would lose all it's nutrients if it was cooked in a meatball? That's a great way to fool him into eating his food.
It would be best to feed them raw. I think most of the nutrients would be lost if the meatballs were cooked. If you don't like doing raw maybe you could just half cook them. If it's only short term it shouldn't matter much.
Old March 18th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I still want to see a video of Tommy rolling his meatballs around the house!

Old March 18th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
It would be best to feed them raw. I think most of the nutrients would be lost if the meatballs were cooked. If you don't like doing raw maybe you could just half cook them. If it's only short term it shouldn't matter much.
I don't mind trying raw, but he won't eat it... I've tried just giving him small bits of raw hamburger mixed with a bit of the cooked to trick him into trying it, and he just won't try the raw. Maybe I'll just try cooking the outside a bit, and leaving them fairly uncooked inside? For some reason he just won't eat any raw meats at all, he'll take them from you and just leave them lying on the floor somewhere.