Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM

how can i give my cat 4mg of benadryl!!??

I took my cat to the vet since i am going on a four hour plane ride in a few days and they told me to give my cat 4mg of benadryl. now i can only find the 25mg capsules and so i opened it and poured out the benadryl and measured out 4mg as best i could. i tried to put it on my cats treats and give it to them that way but she wouldnt touch it. she licked it once...ran away and started drooling which is normal for the bitter taste...but..

how can i give her exactly 4mg of benadryl!?

thanks!
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Does it come in liquid form as well, that would make it easier.

Cindy
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

If the capsule is a reasonable size, put the 4mg back in and try to get the capsule as far back in his mouth as possible.
I find the element of surprise works well for pilling. Come up behind him, pull his head back, opening his mouth at the same time, and in she goes. Then gently hold his mouth closed (careful not to obstruct his nose) and stroke his neck until you can feel him swallowing. Followed by profuse apologies and maybe a treat.
Is there a reason you are medicating him? Because unless the cat is flat-out crazy, even though of course they are a little nervous, most animals do fine without it.
That being said, I once asked a flight attendant to go check on Badger (he was flying as baggage) and she did! And of course he was fine.
Old March 5th, 2008, 09:52 AM

does it have to be benadryl? Their is cat gravel (herbal) found in walmart that is in liquid form, mixed with tuna it is no problem to get it in a cat. Pills can be rather difficult.
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM

thanks for tha advice guys. i havent tried to give them a pill since a 4mg pill doesnt exsist. thats my problem...i cant give them a whole pill so how do i get 4mg into them? i seem to break the capsules when i try to open them up so i cant reuse them.

i have to sedate them for our trip because my cat goes bananas on trips. seriously..the vet couldnt give us a proper tranqualizer because the cat wouldnt let him examine him...really...he went bananas...didnt even seem like our cat.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Go to the pharmacy and buy some small, empty capsules. 10 cents, tops.
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:53 AM

Yikes, poor kitty! are there not smaller doses of Benadryl available? Or of a generic form of benadryl (which is diphenhydramine)? Whatever you try, I'd recommend a 'dry run' so to speak, of the Benadryl in the cat to make sure there are no negative reactions. Dose the cat on a day while you are planning to be around and can keep an eye on him and if all is fine then you know this is a proper dose. Or you may see that the dose has no effect on the cat in which case you'll have to try something else, or a slightly higher dose (if ok'd by a vet).

oh, almost forgot, if you can't get the cat to take a pill, i've had good success with these things called 'Pill Pockets'. They are cat treats, hollow inside, where you put the pill and then close it up. They come in two flavors and can be found in pet stores such as Petsmart.
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963

Last edited by Kristin7; March 5th, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I too would highly recommend a dry run as was mentioned since some cats react the opposite way of what you want. I have seen the effects of the opposite- a quiet cat freaking out and biting and scratching family members, esp children. Trust me, it is better for him to have this problem ayt home than in an airplane or a moving vehicle!

I use Rescue remedy or Cocculine, the latter being much better in calming kitties in travel. But all cats are different. I am a bit surorised your vet recommended benadryl to be honest - it is not known to come in vet formulations - it come sin three doses - 12.5 mg, 25 mg and 50 mg and the cheapest I have seen it is the Equate version of diphenhydramine at WalMart for 50 of the 25 mg. Cats - because of their size (and I know this because I have had to do research on how much children should be given) are supposed to take 0.5 to 1 mg per pound so I don't know how much your kitty weighs but a 25 mg pill will be way too much for most cats! (and thus can lead to the hallucinations and other problems and that is for every 12 hrs. It also has a really long half life so you will have a sleepy or angry and hyper cat for a longer time. You will also have to place your kitty in his Pet Taxi but make sure he cannot choke on anything since this med will really put him out.

There are such better meds for this - I am perplexed at your vet's recommendation to be honest. Even if my vet made this recommendation - which she would not (she likes cocculine) , I would never do it. Not even at home. I have seen cats on similar formulae and oh my, even in a pet taxi, a friendly little cat I know actually hissed at her human. And took two days to get over it.

This is just my . You might ask your vet about the dose and why he recommends this med and what other meds he would suggest. If he is English, he may not know of cocculine - which is made in France- but he surely knows of rescue remedy.

Good luck!!!!!