Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 17th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Who's the cook?

I was just curious if I am a loner on this one?

In another thread it was mentioned (Ithink by Melanie) that if she was to go away hubby would starve.

I used to be in that situation for years Cheif bottle washer and cook.

But life took a 180 on me and I met a man ( a real darling) and guess what?
He is cheif now.....lol.....He cooks about 97% of all meals eaten. It is such a strange turn of events he is an awesome cook and well known by his friends for this. Any fishing trips the guys go on .....they all say "whats on the menu Iggy?" He brings all the food and cooks it.

He also is known for his preserves, he does such a big variety and with such ease I really do admire his ability to just "wing it" at times.

Oh and here's another thing that freaks me out........He is the shopper of the household..... When the paper comes he doesn't look at the news first he grabs all the fliers and figures out where all the deals are.....lol. When I decide to go shopping, he is right there when I get home saying "Ya......how much did you pay for that?" "You know such n such has it on sale this week"
It drives me nuts sometimes, but it is such a good quality to have because when times are tough you would never know it cause we always have food on the table, and always enough to feed anyone who drops by at dinner time.

Sorry to ramble but this amazes me to no end, quite a change to be sittin on the couch flippen through the channels sayin " what time is dinner gonna be ready dear?"
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes I guess I should mention while this is all good stuff I have also gained 40 unwanted piounds by all this yummy cooking I guess thats the downfall.......everything has a sauce or gravy and ya cant say no cause it is just so yummy
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Ahhhh,that sounds wonderful I HATE cooking,have been doing it forever
Now,with no kids in the house(except the cats!)I am still for some reason cooking for 5,left-overs galore,most of it goes to my son who has trouble making toast some goes to my crows!!
My hubby would survive on his own,he's a good cook,but him being from France,he adds half a bottle of wine to everything he cooks
Nice low-cal stuff!!
If I was rich,a cook would be first on my list!!!
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

In 7 years, my SO has cooked one, YES ONE, meal. Hamburgers with stuffing. Don't get me wrong, it was delish, but if we depended on him for food on a daily basis, we would all starve.

Last night I made chicken and rice for dinner. Very good. Having 2 teenagers in the house means that I don't have to cook very often though.
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Iggette - don't let that man get away!!!
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband put sesame seeds in scrambled eggs once! But he does do great barbeque! Salmon! Yum! He also is great warming up leftovers in the microwave.
Iggette, is your hubby Swedish or Norwegian?
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

He was born in Canada but has German parents.

Your right LR not lettin this one get away

Chico hubby still cooks for an army even if it's only the two of us I just don't get it I guess when I cooked I was always trying to get by and strech things so I always just made what would be eaten with few leftovers

LavenderRott I have 2 kids still with us they just love the cooking and they both are good cooks themselves so there really is no need for me to cook Thats ok more time with my pets

Quote:
My husband put sesame seeds in scrambled eggs once!
Hmmmmmm I love sesame seed ....always up for something new around here you never know who's got an experiment for you to try
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well Iggy send him to me

I don't mind cooking but not huge monsterous meals all the time.

Today is taco day with ground turkey

Gonna go make it NOWWW

Loco Loco for taco's!
Old June 17th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Lol @ Luba........How 'bout Mondays .....j/k

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Taco's Love'm I also find that I like ground turkey, used to turn my nose up at it till he made meatballs in the spaggetti one night and I never even noticed .....lol.

He's away working tonight and tommorow But hey the son made BBQ sovlaki (Spelling?) salad and potatoes was yummy. it's nice to be surrounded by cooks for a change.
Old June 20th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Senior Contributor

owww, sadly i am married but my sister wants to know if he has a brother?? i cook, clean, shop, organise, provide beer, bloody direct and manage everything. ok hubby is at work 13hrs a day so i dont mind too much in the week, only fair, i work from home so my life is more flexable. BUT i tell you if it was not for the playstation you would think this man is dead, he does not lift a finger without alot of encouragement on the weekend, oh he does lift the hand for beer though. he is a good mister fixit if you can get him moving so i give him that, he did say the other week he would start cooking on saturdays, well come saturday i said where is dinner, oh he says, i only cook exciting foods, not meat and veges, welllll sooooory. the worst part is i am a very strict vegetatrian, but i have to buy and cook meat, grose. people think i am a freak at supermarket when i buy meat, i dont handle it and hold it through a plastic bag to avoid touching it, and the smell of it cooking, oh it just makes my stomach turn. funnily enough i am told i cook the best meat around, strange that, oh the things we do for love.
and i dont want him to cook much, i worry about his hand washing skills/kitchen hygene and he often puts meat on the same board as veges which means it has to be thrown away, i am always thinking he is trying to kill me. and what is the point, i sit while he cooks and every five minutes 'where is the collander', 'where is the pots', 'where is the salt' (where you left it), 'where are you cause everything is on fire (including the dog) and im scared'?? i wonder if he does it deliberatly to make me doubt his ability to do anything and thus get me to do it for him. oh iggette you are the lucky lady, and becoming a lady of some lesure, make the most of it. sometimes i want to be a man with a wife, oh she could get me beers too. i worry that i will go crazy one day, i am 28yo and will be doing this for the REST OF MY LIFE (and i dont even have kids yet ), oh that is a depressing thought when one is in the supermarket, ahhhh
Old June 20th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I had 2 men for 6 years! A friend (who had lost his home because of bad health and hospital bills) lived with us. He could fix anything and paid his way by maintaining our house and my mother's. Every girl should have 2 guys - a husband and a Mr. Fix-it! I divided the week up. Mon's and Wed's were "free" days - every man for himself/herself - as I assisted in the ceramics lab on those nights. I cooked Tue's and Sun's. John took over Thur's and Fri's and my husband? Well, he took us out to eat on Sat's or else ordered pizza! Unfortunately, John had a massive heart attack last July and passed away.
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Chocolate

wow, i was just going to start a thread like this!!

lucky for me, my SO does the cooking and is MORE than happy to do it!

after breakie, i get the "how would u like a warm meal every morning and dinner?"

*droooooolz*

i COULD cook... but why should i when i got somebody willing! yes, yes, we do cook together as well, and THAT'S the most fun. but for myself? mmm, nah