Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 13th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Euro-cup

I know soccer is not big in this country,but to us it's an exciting time.
Of course hubby being from France will root for France,we're having a due today watching France-England(2;45 TSN)our friends are English,so it will be interesting I personally root for Sweden,but although they are good(did good in World-Champ)they are not going to win
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:36 PM
Senior Contributor

had to have a rant- sadly it is rugby union season here, ohhh nooo. (soccer only big here for world cups). have had to suffer some games so far, oh geez, i dont know if i can do another season. and scotland played australia yesterday, well i think those scottish boys are down right mean and totally awful, oh so rough, just stomping on each others heads and stuff, ahhh ghastly. they deliberatly go out of their way to hurt the winning team, sore loosers i telll ya, but the aussies kicked their lilly white asses from here to sunday anyways, haha (NZ killed england the day before, something like 28-3 haha, cant help laughing they didnt even get a try duh)., no wonder they were being so mean, pretty sad to lose this early in the season.. ahhh i really hate this violent stuff, when i saw it live the other week i jsut wanted to go down on the field and give a talk about manners and caring for other people and maybe a few clips around the ears, bunch of meatheads i tell ya and so rough, but cricket is worse and something akin to hell i would imagine...
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

oh but we have kick ass netball players here, we breed them well,, it is pretty big here (and growing, nice to see the gals get a chance and games are broadcast) and no self respecting teen would dream of not playing, is it big in your countries too?? i love the fireflies, they are just absolute champions. now netball there is a game i can get into
Old June 13th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Mel, are you not a rugby fan? I never really followed it until about a year ago when my Kiwi friend finally explained the rules to me. Now I quite enjoy watching a game. He used to play for some Junior All Black team in NZ years ago when he was younger. He's pretty much tough as nails, and a bit embarrassing to go out with sometimes because of his rather large mouth.
All I can say my friend is you go down to the field and tell the All Blacks that they need to learn some manners. Then if they start to do their 'hacka' or whatever that war dance is called, you run like hell ok? Very funny. I don't think real rugby players would know the meaning of the word manners and I don't think they would take advice well...
One of the NZ All Black teams just played our British Columbia provincial team here about a week ago. Pounded the hell out of them 100-3 or something like that.

Anyhoo, don't really follow soccer at all. Didn't Greece win or something?
Old June 13th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,Billy-Bob Greece beat Portugal,but it's only their first game,that was a fluke Anyways,hubby was very,very happy France beat England 2-1
France also has pretty good rugby-players...
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM

Tell ya what Chico. I'll mention that to my Kiwi friend and we'll be able to rate how good France's rugby team is by the number of expletives that explode out of his yap during a measured period of time.

I remember when I was living with a Portuguese family for a few years, they would watch soccer religioiusly. Benfica was their team or something like that. They were ravenous! And angry if they were losing.

Nothing a few bottles of Portuguese wine couldn't solve though.
Old June 14th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Senior Contributor

i wish, oh i wish i did not have to be around rugby it makes me want to poke an eye out(i can relate to soccer more, went to a greek high school, not in greece though). but sadly i live with a complete rugby nutta, in a completly sports freaked out country where even our poets become famous for football poems, sheesh rugby is so big in our house and country and it is all that is on tv most of the time in winter. it is such a mean game, i do not know many rugby players that havent had something reconstructed and i have a friend that has such an injured back from scrums he can hardly walk properly and is injured for life.. it is a bit scary but they have nice legs in their little shorts so that is something . i love the haka, it is fantastic, it is great to watch and the passion and history of it makes me cry (and the maoris are much spunkier than the others spent some childhood in NZ my family are part maori and my cousins have played for the waikato team). but the rugby makes me think of the gladiators of old times, we stand around watching these boys beat each other to pulps and we cheer, getting louder with every hit, i think it is a little barberic. maybe we could get a bunch of mothers down there with wooden spoons, then they might just listen about manners or get a good clip up the ear, oh that would be funny picture cute little woman chasing big men with spoons, big men crying and saying 'im sorry mum i will be nicer'
so i will live with rugby and tolerate it for the rest of my life, thank god the world cup is only every 3 years or something like that. my nephew who is a maori (and a very big boy ) will never play, every man that meets him asks what position he wants, he is just not allowed, to dangerous for our little (big )baby (my sister and i fill him with horror stories about rugby injuries, we have really put him of it).. but i hate cricket, to me hell is nothing but a series of one day test matches and boxing day test matches, oh it just kills me, it is sooo slow, i am surprised they dont fall over after a while....
rugby players are very tough, i like going out with them (hubby has a few friends play or did), if i get into a fight i have someone to sort it out (or hide behind) and i never get hassled with them, i feel very safe i tell you.
but i always thought ice hockey players were tougher, but hubby points out they wear padding and the walls of the court or field?? are sort of flexable so it looks worse than it is, i dont know though...they do have big sticks...
the only soccer i watch is my nephew play in the under 11's. boy it is frustrating to watch, you just want to get out there and kick that ball (half the kids stand around staring at it waiting for it to do something), i was told last week (by nephew) to stop screaming from the sideline as it gives him a headache and is distracting, WELL HE SHOULD BLOODY KICK THE BALL THEN, oh kids soccer is soo frustrating...
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,France(defending champs) beat the mighty England(who has not had the cup since 1968,I believe it is).I must admit Beckham is mighty cute though
Sweden beat Bulgaria 5-0 WOW!!! Sweden is playing Italy on friday go Swedes go!!!!!
I know nobody is interested,but what the heck!!!
Watching the game is a good excuse to call for a pizza and have a beer(or two)
The weird thing is,the Swedes are excellent soccer-players,but because they are cool and collected and do not whine,have no hooligans,not much is written about them.
Rugby is probably the toughest sport of all,no protection,unlike AFL,but not something I would watch.
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

kids soccer is huge here, and i read in paper this morning that soccer (kiddies) is the most played sport in aus at moment, found that really interesting, maybe a move away from the blood sports
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

this is strange but anyway... this morning i heard on the news that the swedish team are wearing support stockings in the lead up to games, apparently to help circulation and stop swelling, very interesting. strange though..
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh well Mel,we are a strange but wonderful breed
I'll wait and see what happens friday against Italy,then I might sway my little Swedish flag on my car,there are waaaay too many British flags out there
Old June 20th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Chocolate

[rant]
I live on a MAIN street, right beside the stop lights. TODAY, that Portugal has won yet again, I have HAD it with the honking!!

it's sooooooooo horrible, my bf asked me to come over for bbq, and i cant! i have to dog-sit these 2 anxious doggies. the upstairs neighbours are on the from porch, come in and out, doorbell ringing... UHHHHH!

last time Portugal won, motorists would STOP honking at the red light, and now? God forbid they actually stop since the neighbours across the street have their entire extended family on the front lawn waving around not 1, but 2 HUGE flags.

I need sleep!

please, please, PLEASE have NO MORE wins for Portugal!!!!! (no offense to anyone)
[/rant]
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

wAggie,I know what you mean.I'm back at my dads and it was crazy here....It's a Portugese area.I went to the store,on the main street and the cars were honking,people hanging out of them with the flags.They were all lined out in the streets...And those stupid whistles.... And they were all coming on my street...Kyra wanted Spain to win.......LOL
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Chocolate

they started 4:45pm today and now, at 10:25pm, THEY ARE STILL HONKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

oh, lemme add, stupid neighbours are smoking weeds in the alleyway btw our houses and it stench is seeping into my living room

THANX PORTUGAL
Old June 20th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

They have died down here....Thank god.

Grab a glass of water and dump it on them......
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:02 AM
Senior Contributor

dont dump water on them, water and joints dont mix , if i were you i would charge an entry fee to the ally, or you could hide up there and do some pranks, make the stoners a little paranoid, do siren noises or something. also start making vegemite sandwiches and sell them at huge profit . throw down some incense sticks and tell them they stink also and i would go and join the party, cant beat em, join em. PS i would put up a sign at the intersection and say something like 'honk if you love spain and think they should have won', you will probably get less honks that way
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,lets hope the Swedes win the cup,we are more subdued and gentle and there is no Swedish areas in Toronto there are not that many of us My neighbor across the street is Portugees,behind me they are English,me being Swedish and my husband from France(last Euro-Cup winners)makes for an interesting soccer neighborhood.Oh,I forgot the Croatians on my other side
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

ROTFLMFAO @ mel.

GO SWEDES GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old June 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
Chocolate

mel, ur something else alright!!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Mona The Swedes and Danes fixed the Italians,so no Italians screaming in the streets tonight
Sweden and Denmark advanced.....Italy is out,finished,caputt!!!!!