Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Hello!

hey, i'm a pet owner from a very small town on the east coast of canada. i have a dog that i love very much, and i believe is very ill. i live nowhere near a vet, and i don't really have the funds to get out of town to find one. i was wondering if someone could help me diagnose my dogs problem, and tell me if theres anything i can do from home that might help him.. PLEASE!!!

thank you very much,
mandy & kimo
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Mandy.

We aren't vets here (or most of us aren't anyway) and even for a vet it would be difficult to diagnose your dog over the internet.

Why do you think he is very ill?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM

Unhappy need help fast

I think he is Ill because a great deal of fur is disappearing from his back, and his stomach. His stomach is beginning to have sort of a leathery texture. He whines in the night time very loudly, and I believe his ear is quite sore as well. I'm away from home going to college, and my parents take care of him. They say that theres a bad odor coming from his ear as well. I know by reading this you're thinking that i'm a bad pet owner, and you have the right to...but you have to understand my circumstances. I live in a small town, less then 200 people, and there is no vet there to be able to help my dog, and the closest one is many many miles away. i'd have to go by plane to get there, and i simply can't afford it. i'm really stuck as to what to do, and generally by reading that would anybody know anything at all how i can help my dog??
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Remembering Lukka

If your dog has an infection and needs antibiotics you aren't going to find a vet that will mail you a prescription and never examine the dog. You are going to have to take the dog in for treatment.
If you don't have the funds perhaps give the dog to a rescue that can look after it properly. I know you say you love the dog, but how can you allow it to suffer and deny it medical help? I guess it all comes down to, do you love it enough to allow it to get the care it deserves from another owner
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I am sorry and I hope your dog gets the help it needs to get better:sad:
it does sound like an infection and yes your dog needs antibiotics, and vet attention. I hope you find a way.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:25 PM

Are there any farms nearby that might have a large animal vet that you could contact and maybe come take a look? What about an animal shelter? They usually have vets come in and examine the animals. Your dog sounds as if he has a major infection and is in a lot of pain ...is there anyone that you could borrow from to get the dog to help. Maybe you can call the nearest vet and they can give you a suggestion as to where you can go or what you can do. They may have info on a shelter you can get to. I wouldn't wait, your dog is in pain...just imagine if you had an ear infection...if you have had one as an adult you would know how excruciating they are. I hope you can get him the help he deserves. Keep us posted and Good luck