Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 15th, 2008, 03:50 PM
~and Trixie 2~

I think just the sound of a drill coming through his safe spot will scare him out! I doubt she'd even have to go as far as to really cut a big hole. Drilling or banging...I think it's worth a shot. I just really hope he's not hurt or dying!
Old February 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM
What to say, what to say

Aww, please, more updates!I just hope he hasn't developed a disease(but regarding the amount of time he's been up there, it would be amazing if he hadn't).

Does he mind if you peek up there? Or does he hiss or something? He should've started seeing you as something positive by now. Oh, kittay, please come down!
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

ummmm. I'm so confused.

The landlord realises that No matter what, if he ends up with a dead cat in there he will need to tear up the cieling??

That and even IF ure kitty comes out at this point, that wall will need to be torn down anyway cuz even if you can stand living in ure appartment with cat poo and pee in your walls, I don't think the next tenants will appreciate it much.

So basically at this point he's gonna have to saw through the wood anyways, so might as well do it when you can save the cat???

Have you told your landlord these 2 scenarios which are lose-lose for the wall? Even if the cat is eating, you should lie to him and tell him that it isn't and is very weak, close to dying. Even if he thinks its ok to have poop in the wall I'm pretty sure he's not down with dead animals.

I hate to be so blunt..but I mean, what the heck.
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
What to say, what to say

Never thought about it that way onster. Lying to many might be the only way out
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Stubborn cat

Can someone involved in 'rescue' in the Toronto area GO to the apt. and get the cat out themselves, without sawing holes? Maybe an experienced cat rescuer with a long pole or poles attached together could intervene for the cat's sake and then re-home it.
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If your vet gave you something that might lightly sedate the cat that you could put in his food, would you be able to reach him back there when he went to sleep?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM

good news he's coming out to eat! But he goes right back in!

However, he only does this when I'm not home. ( i know this because i put flour on the floor)

I'm going to move the food further away. He if he comes out eve further.

Info:
The hole is very small but big enough for a 6 kilo cat to enter. I can barley stick one arm in let alone a tent pole or anything else of the sort. One of my work buddies is a amateur handy man, and he says its a heating/air condition duct area. Evey house has one, although most places don't have access point like i have. Cutting the hole will be harder than it seems. We'll have to cut the power(remember I'm in a apartment so that might be cutting power to some of my neighbors as well, my landlord wont like that!) There's also tons of insulation in there due to the fact that's were the central air comes out from, also probably why my kitty likes it up there so much. His conclusion, that should be a last resort because he's going to need professional help.

Also the kitty, has a little litter pan(baking pan full of litter) up there so I've been able to keep it clean for the past few days. He's also been eating very well for the past few days. I think that's a good sign. He's not sick, he's maybe getting fat! I have sedatives, but I'm hesitant to use them just yet.

Last edited by nnikol; February 18th, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
What to say, what to say

At least he's sorta coming out. He uses the mini litterbox right?

Wow! He's not sick!

Again, good luck
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

nnikol,that's HUGE progress
I would be tempted to even let him have that space as his comfort-place,once he is down and comfortable with you,no more afraid.
That is,if he cannot get further in and get stuck.
My 3 cats all have their hidingspots for when the vaccum is dragged upstairs
for slow and steady progress,since he is eating and going to the bathroom,there is no immediate danger of him getting sick
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Kitty pimp

cool the little scootch finally got hungry enough
I ca tellyou what I did whith my shy kitty I read to her we went through about three novels till before she came out from downn under the bed and when she came out it was completly unexpected
as lonng as she is eatinng and pooping she will be ok
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
...I would be tempted to even let him have that space as his comfort-place...
SAFE hiding spaces are essential...but this area?????

What if there's an emergency...a fire, a forced evacuation?
Old February 18th, 2008, 12:40 PM

This is my second post. This situation is becoming desperate, since the cat has not had exercise in a long time. Have you considered calling the wildlife department? Offer them a few $ (under the table) and they for sure will come and help you. Poor kitty, he is so scared.
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Kiara,I doubt he would be less scared would the wild-life people come out and they charge a min of $100.
The kitty is eating,drinking and pooping,so he stays healthy,I am hoping he'll start investigating the apt at night,maybe realizing it's not a dangerous place
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so happy he is eating. There are some stories on this forum that really catch many peoples eyes and this is one. As long as he is eating, has a place to go to the bathroom, the only thing that needs to be added is patience and love.

Jim, you know that all too well with DU, lol.

Do you have any history on this cat?? Almost sounds like he was abused or feral.

Good luck and we love that you keep us updated.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:49 PM

glad to hear that he is coming a bit further out to eat, drink, so moving a bit further every day sounds like a good idea, and glad that he is using the litter box. I hope you dont have to use sedatives.. if for any reason that was a necessity i assume that they would be vet approved. Are there any toys you leave around a bit further outside that area? Maybe get a few different kinds, you mentioned that this cat was from a good home when you got them.. maybe one of those toys will spark their interest and get them even further out. i really hope this little guy comes out soon, and that the hole is then blocked up. I have mentioned this in other posts.. do you have a radio that you could leave on softly playing some classical or very soft music? this tends to mellow many animals..
Old February 18th, 2008, 05:54 PM
What to say, what to say

If sedatives ARE used, what if kitty starts to doze off in the back of the hole? How are you gonna get him out then?If you have lots of spare time, just read to him or call up a friend and talk to him/her on the phone for a while near kitty. He'll get used to your voice and hopefully, associate you as something positive...like catnip
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM

Thumbs up

I am so excited to hear he is coming out! With moving the food further away I wonder if putting a box on the floor near the old hole (so he doesn't have to wander too far, Completely closed except for cutting out a small hole for him to get into) and rubbing some catnip around the opening or food inside, small blanket etc. Perhaps he will think of making this his new hiding space? I think it is wonderful how much patience you have shown him! I bet he will turn out to be the most loveable cat when he learns to trust you. Good luck! Keep us posted!!
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
~and Trixie 2~

It's sooooooo good to hear he's making progress! It must be so frustrating to you. I agree, you are showing him a great deal of patience that I'm sure he will soon appreciate. The moment he comes out when you're around, though, you have to close that place off!!!
Old February 19th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah,I changed my mind,maybe it's not a good idea to leave that space open after he comes down
I was just thinking of him having a panic-attack once he realizes he cannot get back to his "safe"spot
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Hooray! Hooray hooray hooray!!!!!!!!
Sounds like things are getting a little better, you may not need to cut anything yet, which is good because it sounds like it will turn into a huge hassle.
When he finally comes out, I think you're absolutely righht and you'll have a little butterball on your hands.
Good luck to you, nikkol, you're doing great!
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Great news that he's making progress - too bad it's taken this long for it to happen! I guess now you just need to make sure that you don't rush things and freak him out.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I think he's making wonderful progress. It's going to be wonderful to hear how he's doing step by step. You're gonna look back at the beginning of this thread one day and say my goodness this was a tough little kitty to bring around.

Cindy
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
What to say, what to say

It might sound rude but, anymore updates? It's such an interesting situation and we wanna help >< Please don't leave us hanging!

Last edited by BusterKitty; February 20th, 2008 at 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling...oops
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Has your kitty come out?? Please let us know, we are concerned.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
-

We need another update.
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Sorry for the late reply I have been away on business, no has not come down I'm left food out for over 5 days and that has not enticed him to come down. I'm afraid he will starve himself rather than come down for food(i mean how long will a cat hold out until instinct kicks in). I know he can come down my roommate has seen him do it.

The good news is that the old owner is coming over next week to try and coax him out. (FINALLY!) and for now I'm going to try and make him as calm as possible.

Last edited by nnikol; February 26th, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:40 PM
What to say, what to say

His old owner? The shelter keeps track? Never knew that!

Poor kitty! Now will the humane society help? He's not eating(is he drinking?!?!?!) so they should consider this an emergency:sad:Why won't he come out ><

Thanks for the update!...even though it was a little sad
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM

wow please update us when they do.. are you putting the food back up closer where he can eat it now? cats cannot go without food for that long, it can make them seriously ill.. i really hope he is going to be okay
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:38 PM

I put the food back up there and he eats like a normal kitty.
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Kitty pimp

man that is onne tough stubborn kitty sonds like having the previous owner may be a good idea i am suprised that he isnt bored out of his mind by now one of the things i tried to coax my girl out was cyprohetradine i got form the vet it is a appetie enhancer and at least woth DU tuned her into a love bug maybe that would work