Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 28th, 2008, 03:19 PM

Aggressive dog belongs to beloved aunt

I have asked questions about this dog on this forum before. The dog is 9 years old and has a long history of aggression. My aunt lives in a nearby city so we do not have to deal with the dog every day only on my aunts visits, which alot are on holidays when alot of extended family members are gathered in the home. She almost always refuses to leave the dog at home even though we have repeatedly asked her not to bring him. She has a person who "sits" with the dog in her city and she will not allow the dog to be boarded. The dog is in desperate need of discipline in my opinion and is allowed to make all kinds of decisions that are inappropriate. He is already under "watch" in his state for biting a neighbor. However, he has bitten numerous people that did not get reported including my aunt - and it was bad enough she had to "doctor" herself because she did not want to go to the doctor and have it reported. One of the times also was my 5 year old niece who was nowhere near him - he just attacked and bit. She reacted by scooping up the dog and taking him to his kennel. There was no punishment either spoken or physical. When she returned to the house she downplayed the incident by saying the dog only "nipped" the child. Later when speaking to her about it she denied the bite altogether. She has been told since then that he cannot come to any parties and cannot come out till everyone is gone. Now the problem is that he is attacking the home's pet cat. Once again, my aunt responds to the attack by scooping up the dog and taking him to another room. She returns 5 minutes later and lets the dog down again as if nothing happened. The cat is 11 years old and not as young as she used to be. I am upset about it and believe that the dog should not be allowed to attack the cat. Ever. He has attacked her numerous times and is still being allowed to - what ammunition can I use to stop this cat abuse??
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Live well, laugh often

Eek , sounds like you are in a horrible situation :sad:. Can you convince her to at least use a squirt bottle on the dog when it goes after the cat? If so, she should fill it with equal parts vinegar and water and squirt it at the dog everytime it makes a move to the cat, it should be accompanied by a command like "leave the cat" so eventually she could just say the command.

Good luck.
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

No matter what you try, in fairness to the cat, I doubt you will ever be able to trust the dog alone with the cat. Maybe when someone is nearby to run interference the cat can be protected. We had a jealous dog who attacked our cat and our Vet's opinion was that even with E-collar training, something we were not prepared to do, he doubted the cat would ever be safe if the E-collar was not being used. We kept them separated for +10 years.
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:27 PM

Wow mireland, that's a really tough position you are in.

Unfortunately I can't offer you any more advice other than building a case against the dog and forcing the owner to euthanise, but I'm sure your aunt would be very mad at you. Personally, I think it would be worth it. You would be keeping many of your family members safe from the dog, and the cat as well. Many family members are more important than one. As hard as that is to take.
Myka - Nov 1998 to Jan 2010 - 85 lb American Pit Bull Terrier cross
Lacy - Sept 1992 to July 2003 - 18 lb Reg Shetland Sheepdog
Old January 29th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

From what I learnt, when a dog turns their agression to another member of their pack - includine the cat, they are in need of serious exercise to burn off the energy, but in your case I'd say it's past that line...it's no longer looking for an outlet as much as it's looking to get rid of the other member of the pack.

What kind of dog is it? Your aunt isn't concerned for the cat??

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old March 5th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Aggressive Dog

Oh I didn't make that clear that the dog is attacking the cat in the same room as everyone is sitting (after he is let out when the party is over) - in fact the cat was sitting on my mother's (the cat/home owner) recliner with her when it was attacked by my aunt's dog coming from across the room. (Yikes!!) The dog could easily have wounded my mother if her legs had gotten in the way. It was the same situation as when it bit my niece, nothing was happening, the dog just suddenly attacked. My mother refuses to tell my aunt to quit bringing the dog because she wants the aunt to continue to visit and she believes that if she doesn't let her bring the dog she won't visit anymore. She says she will make the cat stay in the basement but she doesn't. I can't stand to see the cat attacked and I am very worried about my mother also. If the dog attacks my aunt and caused deep punctures, what will stop it from attacking my mother or myself? My aunt claims she "scared" him when she walked up behind him and he bit her. (This was in their own home) How can one animal hold a whole family hostage? I wish the dog would just pass away but it has been 9 years and he shows no signs of it. My aunt totally ignores the situation and acts like everything is hunky-dory. She even tells us where the dog is "being sitted" when she has business (so one of us will take him if something happens to her?? ) She is the queen of da nile when it comes to this bad seed.
Old March 5th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Other than someone in the family offering to adopt the cat, I don't know what you can do. And if someone files a complaint about being bitten, she could lose her dog, which would be a shame.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Shame?

In my opinion, if there is any shame in this situation it is the fact this little beast is allowed to be a tyrant and terrorize family members year after year by his passive-aggressive owner.

I would be ashamed of any encouragement or assistance from anybody to help empower this type of unacceptable behavior.

I would never dream of forcing my pet into someone else's home without their approval. I think withholding your companionship and love from your family members and friends unless they accept your aggressive, untrained (or even well-behaved) pet into their home is a inexcusible breach of etiquette and manners, not to mention safety. There is nothing wrong with leaving a pet at home, people do it all the time. It's obvious she brings him for her own gratification, not the pet's. By her own admission she told us that "he doesn't act like this at home" (verifying that he DOES get stressed away from home).

Just so you know, I have had many pets in my lifetime and love my pets dearly and take care of them responsibly. I train and prepare them for THEIR own good and fulfillment and NOT for my own selfish, neurotic needs.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by mireland View Post
...passive-aggressive owner....

It's obvious she brings him for her own gratification, not the pet's....

...I train and prepare them for THEIR own good and fulfillment and NOT for my own selfish, neurotic needs.
By the sounds of it, why would anyone want to invite your aunt into their home if she's being so disrespectful ? It's pretty obvious to me that you can't change someone nor force them into doing something they don't want to, but you can modify your own behavior to deal with such situations. You make it quite obvious its not the dog's fault. I actually feel sorry for the poor pup (and kitty) that he's not getting the proper care/discipline he needs.