Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 24th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Max Cat Gourmet cans

Does anyone here feed their cats the Max Cat canned foods? I was looking for a pate variety and I picked up a couple of the 3 oz. Max Cat cans assuming they'd be pate (nothing on the can indicated otherwise).

However, the cans turned out to contain chunky food, which my cat refuses to eat.

I was just wondering if anyone knows which of the Max Cat varieties contain a more pate-style food?
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't feed a lot of Max Cat, but the ones I do know are pate are the Chicken & Liver Adult or Kitten, Turkey & Giblets Adult or Kitten (kitten food is fine to feed adult cats - tends to have slightly more protein and fat and less carbs), and the Veal Pate. There might be others but I've never tried them.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Forgot to add, something I do when buying a new food and I'm not sure if it's chunky or paté is to shake the can. If it sounds 'sloshy', it's probably not a paté. My guy won't touch chunky either, which is a good thing cause they usually have a lot of crap like wheat gluten in order to make the chunks.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Thanks, sugarcatmom! That's exactly what I was looking for. My kitty tends to like seafood flavours which is why I hadn't tried the chicken/turkey/veal varieties.

I usually feed Wellness wet but the local Petsmart doesn't carry that ... So, in a pinch, I've resorted to picking up the odd Nutro or Max cat can.
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
-

I don't feed Nutro or Max but I would be very careful to watch the ingredient labels. Nutro was bought by the Mars Foundation and sometimes food ingredients are cheapened when large corporations take over.
Old January 24th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by khads View Post
I usually feed Wellness wet but the local Petsmart doesn't carry that ... So, in a pinch, I've resorted to picking up the odd Nutro or Max cat can.
Next time you're at PetSmart, check to see if they have By Nature Organics and Avoderm. They recently started carrying them here in Calgary and they're better quality than the Nutro/Max Cat line.