Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Good grrl Ridge you're almost there

such a polite pooch - as all good Ladies in Waiting should be (polite that is, only the special ones are pooches)

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old January 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad top hear Ridge is on the mend
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy View Post
Yeah for Ridgey girl!!!! How could I have missed all of this. Her nose looks like it is so much better. Don't be discouraged with the residual infection. I am not surprised that she needs the abx for a little longer. My brother had folliculitis and he was on really strong abx for a couple months to get rid of it. I am so glad that all she is coming away from this with is a couple of scars. It just means she gets more kisses... Great job taking care of her, I know it was VERY labor intensive
Wow...I didn't know people could get it that bad, too! s to your poor brother! That must've been painful!

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. I think perhaps after this, if Ridge minds her p's and q's, she might actually graduate to Lady from Lady (in waiting). she's really been a trouper through all of this!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lepto tie-in

Just a short update. Ridge is on her way in for her 5 week checkup. In the past few days, we've noticed lumps on the bridge of her nose that weren't there right after the scabs came off. We were hoping it was just some scarring, but yesterday they were definitely bigger. No oozing, though.

So I suspect we'll have at least another 2 weeks of antibiotics to get her through. She's really tolerating the clavamox well, but may have to switch to cephalexin now (I hope not, though )

Since she developed her folliculitis, two of the other dogs were diagnosed with leptospirosis and the third one we ran a titer on as a random check came up with at least an exposure, if not an active case (won't know which until/unless we run a second comparison titer). I know that there are sometimes skin complications with leptospirosis. Now I'm wondering if Ridge's difficulties are somehow connected to the early stages of a lepto infection? Anyone have any experience with this?

(And before anyone gets unduly worried, the only symptoms we've seen for the lepto (unless Ridge's face is one of them) have been very mild lethargy and an increase in water uptake. We caught it early! So the prognosis is excellent.)

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
-

Good luck to Ridge on her vet visit and to all the others , I can't imagine having all 8 of them on meds :sad:
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,I thought Ridge was in the clearand now you have seven more to give meds,you are truly a Wonder Woman
I have no idea what lepto is,hopefully nothing serious
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They took blood for a CBC and titer for Ridge when she was in today, so we'll know in about 5 days if she has leptospirosis--which could be contributing to the folliculitis. She came home with another 2 weeks of clavamox. If she's not markedly better by the time the pills are gone, the vet wants to do a core biopsy to make sure it's really folliculitis we're dealing with here, and not something else (hubby didn't ask what else might do this and I suppose we're happier not knowing for now ).

The vet thought the lumpiness we noticed this week might be just a flare-up from the cold weather and the fact that we took the DEC off--she's been able to poke her nose into the powdery snow and that might irritate it. Meanwhile, he counselled patience (yeah, like hazel is gonna be patient ) and to keep an eye on it. If it gets worse, we have to bring her back asap for further evaluation. But he thought it looked pretty good and it's not uncommon for folliculitis to require up to 12 weeks of antibiotic treatment before resolving (this will only be week 6 for Ridge).

Old February 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM
-

Holy crap 12 weeks on antibiotics ?

Let's hope it was only the snow and no lepto
Old February 9th, 2008, 09:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Just lepto would be easy! Only 4 weeks on meds and we have a good chance of kicking that... 12 weeks is common for the folliculitis. But "no lepto" would be so good--then we wouldn't have to treat her with doxy after the folliculitis is gone; or worry, if we have to change to Cephalexin from Clavamox, that the lepto will flare up. If she has both, the balancing act gets a little harder... But what's Life without a little challenge, eh?

Old February 9th, 2008, 09:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
But what's Life without a little challenge, eh?

And you have about 8 of them at your place

Too bad the antibiotics she's on now doesn't treat lepto as well. Then again , that would make your life too easy
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Actually, it sort of does treat it--which is why we're a little worried that if we have to switch over to Cephalexin, it might mean trouble with the leptospirosis (if she has it).

Clavamox, which she's on now, is just Amoxicillin with an extra ingredient, clavanoic acid or some such... For lepto, the dogs are getting two weeks of Amoxicillin followed by two weeks of Doxycycline. So the Clavamox is actually a fairly good choice. If she has lepto, we'll have to follow up the Clavamox with a couple of weeks of Doxy once her face infection has cleared up.

Old February 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM

for good results for Ridge & all others

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, growler...

Old February 11th, 2008, 03:07 AM
-

Poor Ridge. Poor you. Poor HRD.

I hope this next round of Clavamox finally clears her nose up. And, good luck for the lepto test results.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, rainbow. All that positive psychic energy winging its way through the Cosmos has gotten us this far...I'm hopin' to stretch it out just a little bit further till we're all the way through

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Just to kind of close this thing off...Ridge was given a "clean nose of health" declaration from the vet last two weekends ago. She's been off the Clavamox that long...currently on the last week of a subsequent dosing of doxycycline for the leptospirosis. As of the end of this week, she should be off the pills entirely. Unless, of course, something else comes up *sigh*

As for her poor nose--it's much better! Most of the scarred area is even growing hair again! So we're hoping by mid-spring or so she'll be all haired in and this whole thing will be a mere memory...

Old March 25th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,that's great,she'll soon be her beautiful old self again,not that she isn't already
No more problems for a while,ok
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Hazel,that's great,she'll soon be her beautiful old self again,not that she isn't already
No more problems for a while,ok

You don't know how fervently I pray for that!

Ridge barks 'thank you' for the compliment!

Old March 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM
-

Quote:
Unless, of course, something else comes up *sigh*

shuttttt , nobody saw that , nothing will happen , everything will be fine
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I didn't see anything ...

Old March 25th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Remembering Lukka

Great to hear that her snozzle has returned to normal
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, LM!

How is Lukka's leg doing? Is the limp still improving?

Old March 26th, 2008, 12:41 AM

Way to go Ridgey

Old March 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM
-

WOOOO HOOOO for Ridge.

Now we need pics of your pretty girl.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well, you're in luck! I just happen to have one...

Name:  Ridge's nose is looking much better! 2-2-08.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  20.9 KB

Her nose is still a little rough and patches are still shiny scar tissue, but most of it is hairing in nicely.

Old March 27th, 2008, 02:17 AM

Ridge not to worry purrty grrl your nose will be up to snuff in no time

Old March 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
-

Quote:
Her nose is still a little rough and patches are still shiny scar tissue, but most of it is hairing in nicely.
she's looking good
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

growler, you slay me! Up to snuff, indeed!

Ridge woofs 'Thanks', Frenchy. She's feeling much feistier...and she's really looking forward to her last day of antibiotics--which is tomorrow! She sees the vet on Saturday and hopefully will get a clean bill of health for the lepto!

Old March 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Thanks, LM!

How is Lukka's leg doing? Is the limp still improving?
Hi Hazel, no the limping is still quite significant. She goes to the vet tomorrow for a check up, I'll ask him about x-raying it to see what is going on in there.
Old March 27th, 2008, 03:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Hi Hazel, no the limping is still quite significant. She goes to the vet tomorrow for a check up, I'll ask him about x-raying it to see what is going on in there.
You and Lukka aren't getting many breaks here, are you?

Well, I hope the vet comes up with something minor and easily fixable! Make sure to keep us posted!