Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 7th, 2004, 10:22 PM

Rogers Digital Cable vs Bell Express Vu

I need to decide whether I should go for Rogers Digital Cable or Bell Express Vu. Just trying to get some feedbacks on any of these services, from a reliability and picture quality standpoint. Appreciate comments, advice, recommendations, etc!

Perhaps if there's a 3rd service I should consider, please let me know too. Thanks.
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

My son said, rogers just put out this box that you can pre record various diffrent shows at the same time so you never miss your shows.

bell express veiw being a satelite is 100 percent digital where as rogers digital cable is not they are just starting to digitalize their channels so there are just under 10 channels that are high definition

so.......for picture quality bell expressveiw is the way to go BUT is not as reliable as cable because storms can interfere with the signal rendering your TV useless until the storm passes and signal is restored. (something to consider)

Personally I would go for the cable as it is more reliable unless you have a HiTech TV and want to get the ultimate quality picture

hope this helps a little
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

We had"Dish Net"which we later found out was illegal,the interruptions were a pain in the butt and now we have $1.200 worth of dishes and boxes collecting dust(nobodys fault but our own )..
We chose to go with Cogeco Digital Cable(equal to Rogers I think),excellent picture,good packages including high speed Internet.No worries about bad weather
Ps.the only problem I found,is Cogeco has been raising the price by bits and pieces almost every month and since you buy the digi-box,you are really stuck!!
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I am a Rogers' subcriber; I find that they provide excellent customer service, that's why I stay. Iggette was almost completely right about the comparisson, except Rogers cable is all digital BUT there are 10 HIGH DEFINITION stations that you require a HDTV to watch - these tv's can run you about $1500 to 5000 + so - you don't require those tv's for digital cable though.... As with satellite you can get time shifting (watching the same shows at different times - by having the different stations from across the country).
One perk about Rogers cable is; well this is my story - I was sitting watching tv one day and recieved a phone call. It was Rogers, they were calling to tell me that some of my stations weren't working and he instructed me on what to do (had to move a cable from the VCR to another connection locations or something like that). I hadn't even noticed that I was not recieving full service; but the box that you can rent (or buy) sends information back to Rogers to tell them if you are having trouble with your service. I haven't heard of ANY satellite company that can do that for you.....
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM

I have Rogers and I love it. We have had Satelites before, but I wouldn't go back. We did not buy our digital box however, it's rented. But if something goes wrong - anything, you bring it back in and they give you a new one, no questions asked! Unless you get a really good special, with satellite you have to buy more digital receivers for other t.v.'s. And when we had a satelite dish, even a little bit of snow interfered with the reception. We had to go outside in the snow and actually remove the snow from the dish, and we have a pretty big house, so that was quite a job getting up there. I really think Rogers is the easier way to go. But sometimes Bell have really awesome specials (and you can get bundles discounts), so maybe shopping around would be a good idea too.
Good Luck!
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

rogers vs bell

I don't know but the rogers that I dealt with had awful customer service so I vowed when I moved no more rogers. Hence Star Choice and since getting this I have had almost no problems with reception my system has had bad reception maybe 4 times in 2 years and I can watch almost anything anytime. I had terrible reception with rogers and they could not seem to fix the problem and still charged full price for awful reception and then told me that it must be my T.V. Except that I had a brand new one so that excuse did not work for them and then they told me that if I kept requesting service they would charge me for service calls. I then told them what they could do with their service and products. I have since converted most people I know to sattelitte tv and away from Rogers. I guess thing have improved since they now have a fair amount of competion and figured that people might not use them if they did not get their act together and start treating people a little better.
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:20 AM

I have starchoice satelite. We have hardly ever had problems with the reception, I can only remember one time during a snowstorm when it was a very heavy slushy accumulation on the dish, but as soon as I wiped the dish off reception was back to normal ( you might want to consider putting a dish where you can reach it for this reason).

When we signed up they credited our first bill back the cost of the dish and receiver which was $199 and it included installation. So it was free (except the tax).

I really like that I can choose to see the same show at either 9, 10 or 11.

The one bad thing is getting charged for extra receivers. Digital cable has packages that include 4 or 5 extra outlets. So if you have a lot of TV's you would want to consider this.

If you have a trailer or cottage though you could get an extra dish and pay the same price for programming and just take the receiver with you when you go, this is a real advantage.