Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM

Question Fruit for cats and dogs

Can you give your dog any kind of fruit ie apples bananas grapes I am hearing yes and no's I don't want to give something to my dog if he's unable to eat it.
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I give my guy lots of fruits and veggies..he loves them...but no grapes, no onions! You can check out the food area here it has lots of great info!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:50 PM
-

Grapes are no no , onions too, it can be toxic for dogs . But I split a banana between my dogs after their supper and they love it. Other fruits are fine , as long as you don't give him too much. May get explosive diaria.
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I'm not sure, but I don't think apple seeds are good for dogs, so make sure you remove the seeds.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Young at Heart

My two Goldens get blueberries, bananas, apples (cored), Bobby likes oranges and grapefruit - Amber doesn't like those ones - they both love their fruits though!
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:17 PM
-

Oh oh , melons , my guys love them ! (watermelons without the seeds of course)
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Garden nut

Belle likes peaches. But I only give her a teeny amount, like a 1 inch cube because was not 100% sure it would be ok.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM

My animals like certain fruits as well - especially my cats. They LOVE any kind of melon. My dog loves them too. He also likes bananas. Carrots seem to be a favorite of both my cats and my dog, though the cats only sniff them, too hard to chew raw carrot. One of my cats goes wild for button mushrooms. I only use fruits/veggies as treats, they are not part of their main diets. I have heard grapes are toxic, as are tomatoes and avocados. However, my neighbors dog eats tomatoes from their garden and seems fine. Before I knew avocados were toxic, I used to feed those too and never saw an effect. Still, better to be safe and stay away from them.
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM

I give Kira a bit of chopped apple, blueberries, strawberries or raspberries every morning with breakfast (plus plain nonfat yogurt and TO Ocean Blue kibble). For treats she gets raw baby carrots. With dinner she gets a bit of chopped raw veggies with a tad of canned EVO and TO Ocean Blue kibble.
Old January 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Absolutely give them fruit. The top manufactured foods utilize fruits and vegetables in their formulas. We give our Catahoula blueberries, apples, pears, cantaloupe, bananas. Vegetable-wise she gets brussels sprouts as a treat. They are a great source of antioxidants. She also will eat a little broccoli, kidney beans, and lima beans.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

The seedless grapes are fine.It's the seeded ones that are toxic,because of the seeds.

In 24 years of owning GSD's,none have ever had any health issues due to the grapes.My current is 11 and going strong....
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
The seedless grapes are fine.It's the seeded ones that are toxic,because of the seeds.

In 24 years of owning GSD's,none have ever had any health issues due to the grapes.My current is 11 and going strong....
I dont think that's right. From what I have learnt it's the skin that is toxic, which is also why rasins are toxic. I read a vet report about a 90lbs lab who ate a handfull of raisins and died from toxic shock, they say 8 single rasins can kill a large dog. Just what I learnt and read from good sources.

The fruit itself isn't, but they warn against grapes as a whole because owners don't usually take the time to peel the grapes for thier pets. Could you imagine?

I give Dazy all kinds of frozen and fresh fruits and veggies. She loves oranges, peaches, apples, naners, and all veggies we've tried.

I think basically, if there is contracting info you should side with caution.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Nope,it's the seeds.Raisens are the dried up grapes which have the seeds.It's the seeds that are toxic.Just like the apple seed is toxic to dogs.And I think the seeds in tomatoes.

I wouldn't have given it to them if my breeder(who also gave them to her dogs)and my vet said they were toxic...Like I have stated,my 11 year old is happy and healthy and still alive.Mind you I don't give a ton of grapes to him.He gets 4-5 max.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Swift Tribe

a quick google will show more than a few sources that show grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs. ive also never eaten a raisin that had a seed in it.

also, dogs can not digest apple seeds unless they are crushed so feeding whole apples should be fine. to err on the side of caution i would not feed a whole apple anyways. tomatoes are not toxic to dogs but the plant is deadly. onions are also very toxic.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)

Last edited by want4rain; January 9th, 2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I personally wouldn't be feeding ANY grapes/raisins to dogs: GRAPE AND RAISIN TOXICITY IN DOGS

Quote:
MECHANISM OF ACTION In cases of grape or raisin toxicosis in dogs, the actual mechanism of action remains unknown. The exact pathophysiology of ARF following the ingestion of grapes or raisins remains undetermined. Theories include metabolic disruption, a nephrotoxic mycotoxin, and an idiosyncratic reaction. Dogs that have developed ARF were exposed in various ways. Ingestions included grapes purchased from a grocery store as well as grapes found in the backyard, grape pressings from wineries, and both the seedless and seeded varieties. Some of the grapes involved were tested for pesticides, heavy metals, and mycotoxins (all findings were negative). It is unclear if the skin of the grape must be ingested for ARF to occur. Currently, grape-seed extract is not considered a threat; only the grape or raisin itself is considered a danger. So far, dogs are the primary species affected. Whether other species are affected remains unknown.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Swift Tribe

BTW ARF is acute renal failure... some information on that-

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...6605&O=Generic

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
Nope,it's the seeds.Raisens are the dried up grapes which have the seeds.It's the seeds that are toxic.Just like the apple seed is toxic to dogs.And I think the seeds in tomatoes.

I wouldn't have given it to them if my breeder(who also gave them to her dogs)and my vet said they were toxic...Like I have stated,my 11 year old is happy and healthy and still alive.Mind you I don't give a ton of grapes to him.He gets 4-5 max.
I don't agree at all - I have never read that the seeds are toxic, sorry, but it's cool that your critters like them and can digest them without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
a quick google will show more than a few sources that show grapes/raisins are toxic to dogs. ive also never eaten a raisin that had a seed in it.

also, dogs can not digest apple seeds unless they are crushed so feeding whole apples should be fine. to err on the side of caution i would not feed a whole apple anyways. tomatoes are not toxic to dogs but the plant is deadly. onions are also very toxic.

-ashley
Agreed on all of the above. Raisen's don't have seeds? Do they? Hum, I've never seen any seeds in raisens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I personally wouldn't be feeding ANY grapes/raisins to dogs: GRAPE AND RAISIN TOXICITY IN DOGS
Ya, the vet report I read, from an actual vet, offical report on that lab was aweful. It's long and painful and doesn't usually end well.

There is so much info out there, it's a well known topic. You can find list so stuff that is toxic to animals. I had to pull out all my Rubarb plants when we got Dazy, I had no idea it was toxic, my back yard had tones of it, good thing it was winter when we got her, and I could dig up the roots beofre spring! And my St. Johns wart, and tulip bulbs, and green onions and....LOL!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; January 9th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

We actually did a podcast on this very topic and discussed raisins and grapes in particular. It's definitely best to avoid BOTH grapes and raisins. Recent evidence suggests that the problem is the FLESH of the grape not the seeds. So seeded and seedless grapes are bad. We even talk about how toxic grapes are.

Dr. lee starts talking about grapes and raisins at around 2:30 seconds in the podcast which is only 22:04 minutes long.

There is also a great link in the same post to the ASPCA's list of bad foods where they also list grapes and raisins as foods to avoid.

http://www.pets.ca/blog/?p=50

Hope that helps!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noles1984 View Post
Absolutely give them fruit. The top manufactured foods utilize fruits and vegetables in their formulas. We give our Catahoula blueberries, apples, pears, cantaloupe, bananas. Vegetable-wise she gets brussels sprouts as a treat. They are a great source of antioxidants. She also will eat a little broccoli, kidney beans, and lima beans.
Sounds like ours affectionately known as "furry garburators" (sp?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Hm, I'll have to remember that next time Dani looks at me when I eat grapes, she LOVES them!
Old January 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Doberman Fancier

My dogs are fruit maniacs... they love bananas, blueberries, apples, mangoes, cantaloupe, etc. Bananas are their favorite though!
Old January 9th, 2008, 08:23 PM

My dog loves apples, red peppers and blueberries. My husband always shares his apples with him.

He like carrots too, but more for playing then eating. He runs accros the room chasing the carrot everywhere and kicking it away as soon as he gets to it

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Grapes are a bit iffy, but prior to joining the forum I had given seedless grapes to my dog and he's perfectly fine. I often feed apple pieces too which he really loves (make sure seeds are removed).