Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Should I try a second impression?

I'm not sure what to do here..

I introduced Alley my kitten to my house in October, which was, of course, already inhabited by Jake. To be honest, I didn't do it all that properly, but that's because Jake has lived with other cats before and has been fine.

When I brought Alley home, I had her in the carrier for about - 15 minutes max, and then let her out to roam. Jake ran and hid under the bed for a few hours, but then came down and hissed, etc., but never struck out at her.

They have been living together ever since, and Jake has become more tolerant of her, but he's still not a fan. It looks like they are playing together, but Jake often growls while it is happening, and most sessions end in him hissing at her. I'm not too concerned about the growling, because I think he and his pal three legged Bernie used to make those sounds, but a hiss is pretty unmistakable.

Bottom line - Jake, from what I can tell - would never hurt Alley, even though he's about 3 times her size, but he doesn't like her either.

I'm wondering if a reintroduction would do anything, or if this is the relationship I'm faced with... ? I know that some cats just don't get along, and it could be worse, but it would be nice if they could play without all that hissing going on! You can tell that Alley sometimes wants to snuggle with Jake, but he hisses, swats and then simply runs away from her - unless he's too tired to move!

I also thought about the possibility of Alley growing out of her kitten-ness and then mellowing out - making Jake accept her more.

Okay, I'm feeling pretty ill so that's why this is so long and rambly! .

Regardless, has any one had any luck with a do-over introduction?

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM

I only have one cat, so I have never tried a re-introduction, but I don't think it would hurt to try. I think that you maybe on the right track thinking that as Alley grows up, that they will get along better. When Jake starts hissing, it may just be his way of telling Alley that he is tired, and play time is over. Good luck!
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you can probably try an introduction. If I am not mistaken, I believe I've read here about some people doing it.

I understand how you feel. I'm in the middle of a pretty difficult one myself. I suggest you keep Alley in a separate room at least for a few days, then slowly introduce her again to Jake. Cat's don't seem to do well with such quick introductions.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Live well, laugh often

I personally don't see how it would make a difference . It sounds to me like they are already doing quite well. I think that with time they will probably become more tolerant, especially as the kitten matures.

My cats co-exist together but are definately not buddies. Desi hated Fred when we brought him home. Lucy (dog) used to defend the kitten from Desi by breaking them up whenever things got rough. Today, they do run around and play together but Desi is just as likely to hiss/swat at Fred. Fred was the kitten when they were introduced but now is twice her size. He takes the hissing and swatting most of the time without any reaction but occassionally gets pissed and tackles her. He doesn't do anything else but that usually sets her back for a while.
Interesting enough, Lucy will still break things up when she thinks they are to rough .
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:22 AM
-

I don't think it would make a difference either. Jake is 9 yr. old and Ally is only 5 months so that's a pretty big spread in age. I actually think you're pretty lucky that Jake is so tolerant of her.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
proud to be a cat slave

That's what I was thinking too - that it won't make much of a difference.

They can stay in the same room together, and he is pretty tolerant of her - except when she is constantly jumping on him. Hopefully when she stops jumping (in just a couple of years from now ) they will get along better.

Thanks for the insight - just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I could do.

Old January 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM
-

You could try playing with her alot to tire her out so she doesn't bother him as much. Most kittens love to chase a flashlight beam around and it's so much fun to watch them. You can also use a laser but make sure not to shine it in her eyes.
Old January 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Smile

He's being dominant. Cats aren't like dogs but they can learn things. Is Jake neutered? If so,try this. Every time he growls at Alley,say "NO"! and tap him on his nose then move him away. It may or may not work. Bubba,my sweet deceased cat HATED my dogs and once bit Mitzie very badly. I tried this with him and he still hated her but kept his distance. But then,he probably belonged in a one cat household. He was huge and very dominant.
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
You could try playing with her alot to tire her out so she doesn't bother him as much. Most kittens love to chase a flashlight beam around and it's so much fun to watch them. You can also use a laser but make sure not to shine it in her eyes.
Yeah, she's got a crazy amount of energy. We play with her as much as we can - the only problem is the moment Jake walks in the room she races over to him and leaps on his back (it's hilarious - only he doesn't think so ). We could be playing a good game of fetch with her, but the moment she sees him in the room, she's all over him.

When he goes after her he never has his claws out, but the poor guy doesn't get a moment's peace - he actually checks to see if she's sleeping before coming over to us - he used to be such a lap cat but now he can't because she's a leaping maniac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
He's being dominant. Cats aren't like dogs but they can learn things. Is Jake neutered? If so,try this. Every time he growls at Alley,say "NO"! and tap him on his nose then move him away. It may or may not work. Bubba,my sweet deceased cat HATED my dogs and once bit Mitzie very badly. I tried this with him and he still hated her but kept his distance. But then,he probably belonged in a one cat household. He was huge and very dominant.
Jake is neutered, but he's a very docile, gentle beast. When I say he growls, it's not when she comes near him or anything - it's during "play" when she won't leave him alone. If I say the word "hey", he breaks away from her immediately. I'm usually saying it to her, though, so she'd leave him alone! He swats at her, but as I said, never with his claws out.

Old January 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM

He probably just needs time,then,to get used to her. I bet they end up friends. Make sure Jake gets extra love.
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I think you've answered your own question. They may not become friends but it sounds like they are not deadly enemies. I've got the enemy situation in my house and it is not nice and has cost me big Vet bills. Now I have to separate one cat from the other two.

I have done, some years before, exactly as you and once the kitten matured the two cats did become good friends.
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Missing My Bubba Bear

they sound fine

i've had 5 foster cats in my house at the same time. 4 kittens and older cat. the kittens used to piss the cat off all the time. until this day, if I bring home a foster my cat (cookie monster) will beat them up until they bow to him. that's how they roll.
let it be.
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I think you've answered your own question. They may not become friends but it sounds like they are not deadly enemies. I've got the enemy situation in my house and it is not nice and has cost me big Vet bills. Now I have to separate one cat from the other two.

I have done, some years before, exactly as you and once the kitten matured the two cats did become good friends.
Longblades, I'm sorry to hear that you've had to separate the cats - that must be so stressful and awful!

I knew that it could be worse - I just wasn't sure if reintroduction was worth it - if it would do anything. I have a feeling that if I had gradually introduced them their relationship would be the same - Jake's too laid back to want to put up with Alley's leaping antics!

Good to know that your kitties became friends once the kitten grew up - I have my that the same will happen for my guys!

Thanks to all for your input!