Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 27th, 2007, 10:05 AM

dog with dry skin

I dont know if anyone else has a problem with this but i think that my dog is having dry skin issues... i gave her a couple flea baths a couple weeks ago and then gave her flea medicine...we had a new doggie added to the household who had a few stowaways. lol so i am positive that maggie doesnt have fleas anymore and even if she does its only one or two cause i have checked her over again and again. but shes still itching constantly. like every time i look at her shes scratching. im actually thinking about changing her name to itchy hahah
anyways i was wondering if anyone else has found a really good remedy for itchy skin on dogs. ive looked through the net and havent found anything i like. i prefer a more homeopathic remedy. any ideas anyone?
today i put a little shea's cocoa butter formula one her....wait um i guess i just noticed the cocoa part in it. oh jeez should i wash it off ahhhh ugh
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM

whew

called the vet no worry on the lotion. but she told me to use benedryl for the itch... i dont really want to drug my dog cause she has dry skin. what to do?
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
I dont know if anyone else has a problem with this but i think that my dog is having dry skin issues... i gave her a couple flea baths a couple weeks ago and then gave her flea medicine...we had a new doggie added to the household who had a few stowaways. lol so i am positive that maggie doesnt have fleas anymore and even if she does its only one or two cause i have checked her over again and again.
flea bath plus flea meds = overkill on the chemicals, IMO. and if you see just 1 flea, that means there's more. there is never just 1 or 2. with fleas, it's just as important to treat your home as well as your animals. set flea traps, vacuum carpets and furniture ALOT for a few weeks, wash whatever you can with bleach & hot water, all bedding that the dogs have been in contact with, etc...

she may be itching alot due to the overload of chemicals on her skin & her system, it may be from the weather, it may be from the air in your home, it may be food related, there's MANY reasons for excessive scratching. using lotion could potentially irritate the dog even more, I don't know 1 dog who wouldn't just lick it all off anyways... give it some time, continue to check for fleas, treat your home for fleas for the next few weeks, and follow your vet's suggestion of using Benedryl and see if the itching calms down. if it gets worse, a trip into the vet for a quick check may be worth it. I wouldn't just assume it's "dry skin" though.
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Animal Lover

The other thing to think about is just adding a fish oil caplet to her diet. My Roscoe has dry flakey skin, and the fish oil helps. I just drop it on the back of his tongue and massage his throat and down it goes... If it doesn't abate, certainly get it looked at.

As far as hydrocortisone, there is a sprayable version for dogs that seems to work well.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

dog with dry skin

Fleas are killed by the soap in any pet shampoo so flea shampoo isn't necessary and will irritate and dry-out your dog's skin, is also too harsh for their coats causing hair loss and breakage. Advantage will eliminate/kill fleas in the environment and on the dog. Benadryl will stop her from scratching her dried-out irritated skin and give her relief. You can sprinkle her tummy area with baby powder if its getting red and raw.
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Don't hesitate to use the Benedryl, it'll help her get some relief. I got the childrens one for Bentley's eye itching when he was having problems at the vets suggestion (I have to give him 2), but he likes to chew the grape flavored tablets.

Cindy
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I used to use a high end conditioner for Sophie when she had dry skin. Anything with lanolin in it is good. Soothes the skin.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:15 AM
-

Lots of dogs suffer from dry itchy skin this time of year.

I agree with not using the flea shampoo as it does dry out and irritate the skin. And, as everyone said, Benedryl is very helpful to stop the itchies.

I also agree with adding salmon oil capsules, or better yet, organic extra virgin coconut oil to her food. You can get it at most health food stores.

Also, what are you feeding her?
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:42 AM

i feed her dry food, most i like the lassie natural dog food by purina but here lately i have been getting the beneful shes seems to really like it. i think i am gonna try the chewable benedryl tablets and maybe add some kind of oil to her food. i thought about doing that but just didnt know what kind i should use. just to get her to let her skin repair itself for a little while. how long should i be giving her the benedryl, or how long should it take for her skin to heal up. a week??
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:56 AM
-

I would switch her to a grain free dog kibble. Grains are one of the main things that cause allergies in dogs. You will not find these premium brands in any supermarket or places like Walmart. I don't know where Muncie is. Do you have an independent pet store where you live?
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:00 AM

We have a pet salon down the road that sells a certain type of dog food.... um i think its called something like gold wolf or something.... oh i dont really think thats it but its an independent food thats suppsed to be really good. Think i should switch?
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:36 AM
-

Sounds like that would be Solid Gold. It is alot better than what you are feeding now. They have a grain free kibble called "Barking at the Moon" .....

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...id=81&code=120

Personally, I like the ingredients in Orijen better. I "googled" Muncie and found out it is in Indiana. Is it close to any of these locations? ...

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orij...relocator.aspx
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:13 AM

uh my location needs to be updated im actually in northern indiana now but that ok cause there is actaully one of the orijen stores near me. maybe like 1/2 hour away at the most. I will try to get some of that today. thank you very much for your help.
Old December 29th, 2007, 01:03 PM
-

I hope the Orijen helps Maggie....please keep us updated.
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:11 PM

well the orijen store near me had incorrect information and the next store was about two hours away. i was going to order it but couldnt find it on the website. so i decided to go with lifes abundance. it looked like a great brand of dog food. have you heard of it?
it had a neat program on the website that would compare it with other dog food brands. Perhaps it maybe the grains in her food that she may be allergic to. well i will see how this dog food (without grains) does for her. hopefully it works better. thanks for your suggestion rainbow!
Old December 30th, 2007, 11:37 PM

I hope the grain free kibble helps Maggie, it certainly helped our dog with itchies...

"To insult someone we call him "bestial." For deliberate cruelty and nature, "human" might be the greater insult."

Isaac Asimov