Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The Solstice Garden

I was originally saving these until they could become the New Year's Garden, but it seems like it's been such a hard season for so many... So this seems like a good time to warm things up with a few beautiful memories.

This wasn't actually my garden. My garden couldn't compare to the Solstice Garden. These shots are from the wild area just outside our property boundary on the south side of Hazel Run, and from our wild ditch out front along the road.

The Solstice Garden is dedicated to all those with troubled hearts. May it bring you some heart's ease and fill you with gentle peace this holiday season.

Fall Asters

Name:  Along the road 2007 - Fall asters 9-17-07.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  89.4 KB Name:  Along the road -- purple asters 9-6-07.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  24.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Biennial Gaura: a flower I'd never heard of before but was able to identify from a field guide. It started out with just one or two blossoms open a day, then it burst into bloom as the season progressed:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Biennial gaura 8-24-07.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  89.9 KB

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Biennial gaura 8-17-07.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  Cistern 2007 - Biennial gaura 9-17-07.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  90.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The Black-eyed Susans were peeking out among White Asters and Dogwood berries all summer and fall:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Black-eyed susans 8-24-07.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  87.3 KB Name:  Cistern 2007 - Black-eyed susans among the dogwood berries 9-17-07.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  99.0 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Blue Vervain was everywhere...we watched the spires bloom...

Name:  Cistern 2007 - Blue vervain 7-6-07.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  99.9 KB Name:  Cistern 2007 - Blue vervain closeup 7-6-07.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  73.9 KB

...then go to seed:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Blue vervain, gone to seed 8-11-07.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  87.8 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Another new flower for me: Boneset.

Name:  Cistern 2007 - Boneset 7-10-07.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Boneset 8-10-07.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Boneset among white asters 8-17-07.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  96.2 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

By late summer, many of the bushes had berries to offer for the birds...and the birds came in droves and ate them quickly, so look fast before they disappear!

Dogwood berries:

Name:  Cistern 2007 - Dogwood berries 9-17-07.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  87.2 KB

Elderberries:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Elderberries 8-10-07.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  93.0 KB Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Elderberries and early goldenrod 8-10-07.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  98.2 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hairy Wood Mint and Evening Primrose gone to seed:

Name:  Cistern 2007 - Hairy wood mint and evening primrose gone to seed 9-17-07.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  97.3 KB

Thin-leaved coneflowers:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Thin-leaved coneflower and dogwood berries 8-11-07.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  89.5 KB

Goldenrod, one of the many varieties that dazzled our eyes:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Unidentified goldenrod 8-10-07.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  97.5 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Nestled in front of the hazelnuts and dogwood, grew the largest Wild Bergamot I've ever seen. It flowered early in summer...

Name:  Cistern 2007 - Wild bergamot and early goldenrod 7-20-07.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  94.9 KB

...then it, too, went to seed, ensuring another generation of beauty:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Wild bergamot going to seed 8-10-07.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  97.4 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Woodland Sunflowers:

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Woodland sunflowers 8-24-07.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  88.5 KB

Name:  Cistern 2007 -- Woodland sunflower 8-17-07.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  Cistern 2007 - Woodland sunflowers 9-17-07.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  95.1 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 11:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

There is something soothing in the touch of the breeze. It sets up a rhythm in the branches and makes the Solstice Garden dance gracefully.

Finally, the wind catches a dream and breathes life into it...and the Dream sips lazily from the blossoms of the Solstice Garden before finding a home in your heart.

Name:  Second flight monarch on woodland sunflower 9-3-07.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  96.4 KB

Name:  Monarch on woodland sunflower 9-3-07.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  85.0 KB Name:  Monarch profile 9-3-07.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  85.3 KB

Old December 20th, 2007, 11:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

However you celebrate the Solstice, may it bring you Happiness and Peace.

Old December 20th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Garden nut

Interesting thing, the Winter Solstice. I'll be glad once it's gone, then that means more gradual light instead of gradual darkness. Sucks seeing sunset around 330 pm.

Wow green thumb there Hazel! Tired from digging?

Beautiful flowers. Nature is awesome! All the variety and colors. Thank you very much for sharing.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old December 20th, 2007, 11:50 PM
-

Thanks for the dedication.

Wildflowers are truly beautiful and are just one of the amazing things about nature.
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:53 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Flowers and peacfulness on cold snowy days, what a beautiful thought and well wishes to brighten up the day..with the pictures here they can bloom even in the cold..they are truly beautiful...

I love the yellow flowers with the butterfly.....
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I keep coming back to look at the flowers...
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM
cat slave

pretty flowers

and not half eaten either
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
-

Cool flowers Hazel , I like the butterfly.
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Beautiful Hazel! I have a guara in my big flower bed. I love the way the flowers seem to dance over the leaves. Very peaceful. Mine blooms every year.
Thanks for sharing.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I had to go back and read,I thought at first this was your garden,but you've said you do not have a green thumb,or too many dogs
I just cannot wait for spring when everything comes alive again

Last edited by chico2; December 22nd, 2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Remembering Lukka

Loved all the wildflowers Hazel, and that flying flower is also beautiful
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
However you celebrate the Solstice, may it bring you Happiness and Peace.
Thank you Hazelrunpack. Truly a heart-warming, spirit-lifting thread. Happiness and peace to you and your loved ones too.
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

No, chico--I do have a green thumb...but it's cuz it's moldy! Plants always do better if hazel leaves them be, so it was a real treat to watch these flowers bloom so beautifully ...just outside the yard, out of reach of inquisitive doggies

Old December 21st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Very pretty flowers
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad you're all enjoying them, too. I know they gave me so much pleasure this growing season!

Old December 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Very nice pics. There are alot of the same species here. I always enjoy a good hike with my field guides and a pair of hand pruners so I can bring some home to press. I think parts of Wisconsin are on the same latitude and climate zones as parts of Ontario.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
I think parts of Wisconsin are on the same latitude and climate zones as parts of Ontario.
Yep, that would be us... It's amazing how widespread some species are, isn't it? And they spread that way in large part by dropping seed to the wind...absolutely amazing!

Old December 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazelrunpack, thank you for the wonderful piece of nature. It truly does bring some peace to the heart.

DH and i have a vacation trailer parked at a lake close to where we live, 45 mun drive, when I really need some peace i recall a time when I was sitting in the backyard of the propety and the wind was blowing throught he trees, it was so beautiful it reminded me of a symphoy orchestra. thanks patti
Old December 21st, 2007, 11:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

You're welcome patti. I love the sound of wind in trees. In the winter we hear mostly the singing of the pines. But the oaks always keep a few leaves until spring and they tap along in time to the music...

Old December 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the garden Hazel----Awesome pics

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
Live well, laugh often

Spectacular pictures Hazel . I love how mother nature really does seem to know how to do it the best without our help.