Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 18th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Unhappy Dog with sore bum...

Hi, I'm concerned for my 6 year old dog Champ (mixed terrier). The past week or so he's had a fowl smelling oder coming from his backside and his bum is really red and for the fist couple of days he did a nice bit of scooting but I have not seen him do this in the past 3 or 4 days ( I tried to squeese his anal glands but nothing came out..Does this mean they didn't need to be squeesed?). I just changed his dog food to a store brand and was wondering if it could be irritating him..from the time of the food change he's been using a lot, but his feses look the same and he's not vomiting. He tends to try and nibble his bum tho and has his tail made red too.... Also he has always been a tiny dog, 23 pounds, and the vet said it was normal for a male thats not done to be tiny and he was completly healthy...However he has an appointment in 4 weeks to remove 3 lumps (not cancerious as the vet stated but are still being removed and he's also getting castorated)..I thought that may be important.....

I hope this information is enough. I am planning on seeking the vets opinion but until I can get an appointment can someone offer some advice...
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I think he need he needs to see a vet now, four weeks is too long if he is this uncomfortable. He could have a flea allergy (from even one flea bite) or some kind of dermatitis. What food did you switch from, and to? Could be a food allergy, if it started happening right after the switch, it may be more than a coincidence. I'd also have him tested for worms.
When he goes for his op, ask the vet to check his anal glands and if they need to be expressed, he can do it then and there.
Good for you getting him castrated. Wise decision.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You obviously love you dog and if you knew what was actually in dog food you'd never feed it to him again. There is nothing live in there it's all processed dead everything with no healthy bacteria, enzymes or natural sources of vitamins and nutrition it's all garbage.

May be a good time to consider home prepared diet.

Why don't you try boiling some chicken and potato and mixing it with some yogurt. Do that for a few days then add some other veggies like carrot and zucchini, red and green peppers or peas as well as rice. If you don't want to cut things up just buy frozen veggies and do that. No need to peel the potato as the skin is fiberous and good for digestion and bowel.

I wouldn't delay on foul smells like that, my collie when I was a young girl had the same problem and it was a medical emergency. Go call the vet and go straight away.
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:46 AM
-

I am sorry to hear about Champ. Is there any way you can get his appt. earlier than four weeks from now?

Also what were you feeding him and what are you feeding him now?
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:17 AM

I'm sorry you must have misunderstood me lol. I am gettin an appointment to the vet asap for the bum condition. The castration is in 4 weeks. where I live it's hard to get a vet apt cuz there is only 2 vets for like 10 towns lol. Very hard to get an apt. When I got my other dog spaded it took me 6 weeks to get an apointment then lol.

maybe I should give a little more info then I have....

See he wasn't always my dog. I took him from a family member about a year and a half ago because they didn't want him anymore. They were going to put him down and I didn't want that to happen. The people that had him were giving him a lot of love and attention none the less but there older and just couldn't provide for him. The other thing is he usually only eats table scraps (bones, chicken hearts, liver, rabbit etc). This is what the other family got him into and now I can't get him out of it. Latley he's been going to the food bowl and eating himself so I assumed he liked it... The hard food is an our compliments product bought at a foodland store....

Another thing is right now he's in heat (excuse the spelling lol). And has no interest in anything else.

So until I can get the apt I am going to stop the hard food.

Is there anything I can put on his bum to help sooth the redness until then?

Please any suggestions. I would be greatfull!! I will update also when I get to the vet!!

Thanks

Last edited by cpeckford; December 19th, 2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for taking pity on this guy. I know people get into difficulty and can't keep their animals but euthanization of a healthy animal? Shameful!
On to your problem. His all-meat diet sounds pretty good to me (as long as he's getting enough) but Compliments brand dog food is junk - I'm trying to think of a human equivalent - a steady diet of Ritz Crackers? Even if it turns out the food isn't the problem, I'd give it to the birds and buy him some extra meat.
The problem with putting cream on his bum is that he will most likely lick it off. Someone here will have an idea for you.
Since it is hard to get an appointment, do make sure the vet checks him for worms (take a sample) and fleas.
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Red face dumb questions...

This maybe a stupid question but.... its the winter here now... so I was wondering how can he get fleas with 4 feet on snow on the ground or is it still possible lol? Don't fleas come from grass??

Which is the better brand of food... pedagree, old roy or iams? or are they all pretty much the same?

And would Vaseline hurt his bum?

Sorry for so many dumb questions

Thanks for all the advice!!
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

When my dog had anal gland problems the vet gave me some baby cream called Penatine to put on there to help him with the redness and soreness!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeckford View Post
This maybe a stupid question but.... its the winter here now... so I was wondering how can he get fleas with 4 feet on snow on the ground or is it still possible lol? Don't fleas come from grass??

Which is the better brand of food... pedagree, old roy or iams? or are they all pretty much the same?

And would Vaseline hurt his bum?

Sorry for so many dumb questions

Thanks for all the advice!!
Ask all the questions you like.
The three foods you name are pretty bad. Lots of grain, hardly any meat. If those are your only choices - and since the problem with his bum may be allery-related - I recommend you continue to feed him meat (raw if possible).
If you can get your hands on a better brand of kibble, which is more expensive but has real nourishment in it (plus you feed less), so much the better.

I'm no expert on fleas but dog people say they are pretty persistent, even inside. Or he could have been bitten earlier and the reaction wasn't immediately noticeable. It was just a thought.

Vaseline is petroleum-based. He wouldn't keel over from licking it, but it is not a good idea.
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Red face

Ok. No vaseline...understandable. Going to the drug store first thing tomorrow morning to see if they sell that baby cream. If a vet gave it out then it should be fine. Still trying to get the vet appointment.. no luck yet. I'll keep you posted on that..... oh I checked his poo eairley (very nasty I should say lol) and I didn't **see** any creepy crawlers (worms).. I know it don't mean there not there... I'm going to purchas the worm meds the next time I go to the vet as well...

Well, wish Champer some luck!! I'll keep you updated.

Thanks so much for the advise....
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM

Penaten...

Hi!!

I bought some penaten yesterday morining for champs bum and it worked wonders for him!!! His poor red bum is red no more!! YAH!! Since I put the cream on him he's not scooting, not whimpering, not biting himself and he even manages not to scamper around the floor not being able to sit!!

All that in 1 day! His temperment is even better. He's playing too!!

I'm still goint to mention it to the vet to make sure his belly (inside) is ok but he seems to be looking better!!

Thanks for the cream idea... Think Champ may have found a new friend hehe.

Merry Christmas too!!!

C ya.