Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Is It True??

Is it true in canada you dont have to pay for health ins???
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
no, I am not a chick!

kind of, for Canadians its a basic right to medical service just like education.
Most people also have auxilary medical coverage through their jobs though.

say that you had to go stay at the hospital, the gov. would pay for you to stay in ward (big room, lots of other patients) with supplemental insurance, you could get a semi private, or private room at no extra cost.

for any meds you get in the hospital, the gov pays for them, from the pharmacy either you do, or your insurance.

same with dental.

basically the gov only pays for basic medical coverage, and either the person or the insurance has to pony up the rest.

oh ya, and I should add, its not exactly free, you should see our taxes!
Personally the gov. pulls about 30% off of every pay, plus my property taxes, plus provincial sales tax, plus goods and services tax on most things you buy, plus plus plus...
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW that is crazy,so is the cost of living hi..Like a decent one bedroom apt would run about how much?? In american $
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes it's true....

But there are some things not covered with O.H.I.P(Ontario Hospital Insurence Plan)..

There is certain blood work we do have to pay for.We do have to pay for an Ambulance if we need one.

Cosmetic Surgery.Laser Eye Surgery.Dentist.These are just a few.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I find this very interesting,so what about the pay scale there?? Do jobs pay decent money??? Like here minimum wage is $5.75 an hour..Which no one could ever survive on..
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
no, I am not a chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
WOW that is crazy,so is the cost of living hi..Like a decent one bedroom apt would run about how much?? In american $

In Ottawa, a decent 1 bedroom is about $750-$850 canadian, so about $650-$700 yankee bucks
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

It depends where the area is..

Some one bedrooms can run you $700 up to $1200 a month.This is in Canadian money.A friend of mine here in hamilton has a 2-bedroom apt.She pays $660 a month.Yet another friend has a 1-bedroom apt and pays $800...Go figure

Now remember,this is Canadian.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Minimum wage is $7.00
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:55 PM
no, I am not a chick!

I was paying $875 for a decent two bedroom last year in Ottawa (pop about 1 million), When my brother was living in Timmins (pop about 150 000) (up in Northern Ontario) he was paying $550 for the equivelant
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes heidiho, here you can have major surgery and it doesn't cost anything, but we have to pay 15% tax on EVERYTHING.

In Quebec, you can get a 1 bedroom apt for 400$+, depending on location.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM

We have what is called OHIP it covers quite a bit to many to list.example my daughter needed a steel rod put in her back,This 9 hour operation in the USA would of cost over 50 thousand dollars.If you need eye glasses certain medications or special assistance at home you need extra insurance most people get this extra insurance through their work places here.

Medication for 2 of my kids run about $120.00 a month without our insurance it would cost us well over $400.00 a month.

Our Dental plan pays 100%

The only downfall to living in Canada is our leaders are idiots...

DeerClan
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

OK!! I guess that is about the same here, a luxury apt here is about 800. one bedroom,of course i dont live there[hee!!hee!!]
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:21 PM

Please dont go there about the tax.I payed a little under $30,000 this year at tax time.
My father at tax time some years was paying double what i payed.

But i guess if you want all these free services they give us you gotta pay
As Canadians we pay through the nose and then some.

DeerClan
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh!!So that is where they make up the difference in you taxes???
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

You paid 30,000. in taxes,my god i dont even make that in a year..............
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM

Costs of real estate (rental and purchase) vary greatly across the country (remember, Canada is geographically bigger than the US so we are talking about a lot of territory!!) The two most expensive cities tend to be Vancouver and Toronto. Here in Vancouver there is currently a bit of a higher vacancy rate than usual (used to be less than 1%) so rents have not gone up in a while but, to live in a good area of the city proper, will run you anywhere from $800.00 (Cdn) upwards to rent a one bedroom. A decent priced one bedroom on the west side of town will likely start around $1000.00 per month. When I was renting before my condo was done, I was paying $1350.00 per month for a 700 sq ft one bedroom. Mind you, it was in a trendy area of town...

Minimum wage also varies by province. Here in BC it is currently $8.00 (Cdn) per hour. Re taxes, again that varies by province. All across Canada we have to pay 7% tax on all goods and services. Provincial sales taxes, similar to state taxes, vary from province to province. Alberta has the lowest (none) and Newfoundland has the highest - what it is, I am not sure. Here in BC it is 7.5%.

Based on my observations, having lived briefly in the US, our wages seem comperable to the US with the exception that your VERY high paying professions do not seem to pay as high. For instance, doctors make a lot of money here but not millions of dollars per year. Same with lawyers. Also, our personal income tax rates are higher. That being said, I don't know of too many Canadians in these professions that would choose to leave simply to make more money!

For example, I don't have any urge to go to the US to practice law. I love where I live and I am a very proud Canadian!!

Michelle
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah that is about the same here..I understand what you mean about not leaving Canada,I could not imagine living anywhere but the U.S. ......... Sure do have some pretty beautiful places there.........
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:31 PM

But Deerclan, while you paid $30,000 in taxes last year (and I assume you are only speaking of income tax), this does not tell the whole story. Depending on the province you live in, you probably made close to $100,000 to pay that amount...

I don't know, I really don't feel that I "pay through the nose" considering the services we receive in this country, the size of the country we have to run and the size of the tax base. I guess I am in that VERY rare group that does not complain about the taxes I pay every year (and yes, I do pay a lot of money in taxes....)

Michelle
Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

OK!!! That is alot of taxes,but for pretty much free healthcare i guess that is a good thing,although what if you dont ever really go to doctor?? I know i hardly ever have to....Kind of like paying car ins,i have to but never have been in accident,so i hate paying it,where is all my monthly payments going anyway.hhhhmmmmmmmmm
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:01 PM

Yes Michelle im complaining But i wouldn't complain if our government were to spend our tax dollars a little more responsible like our latest government blunder with the sponsor scandal,Just think of what that money could of been used for.Example could of poured it into healthcare or housing for the poor.

Yet then again we dont live in a perfect world.

DeerClan
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerclan
Yet then again we dont live in a perfect world.
Now isn't that the truth!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

And I might add, If you don't want to live in the city and like country livin you can live even cheaper and get more. I pay $800.00/month for a farm house with 5 bedrooms and tons of land around I can't even see my neighbours and we have use of the barnspace for storage.
We don't have the convenience of just walking to the store in 5 minutes perhaps a 45 minute walk but hey I love it here would never go back to the city
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:13 PM
no, I am not a chick!

I would also prefer to live in the country, and I am going to move back to it some point in the future. while the real estate fee's are cheaper, you have to take into account the extra cost of gas, and car maintenance to drive in to the city for work and what not. My parents live in the country also, nearest neighbor is 1/8 km away. When they go to work during the week though they put a combined total of 300 km on the vehicles per day.(one way is 75 km)
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Coming from a country with high taxes,Sweden,we were already used to it
But you get what you pay for,as the saying goes....
Two of my sons have both had extensive medical-treatments,one has had 2 openheart-surgeries,one had brainsurgery and we did not pay anything,other tan taxes of course,but well worth it.
And we do have 100% coverage for meds and things from my husband workplace.
I believe Universal Healthcare should be available to everyone,in all our travels to the US,the one thing people wanted was Healthcare,for rich and poor alike. Medicalcare if you are sick is to me a very basic,very important right everyone should have.
Granted,in the last few years things have deterioated,but I can still get the care I need,without getting a bankloan.
In a democracy,we all pay taxes to enjoy the services we all might need one day.
In Alberta where taxes are lower,a trip with an Ambulance 3yrs ago cost $240 and they pay $135/premium every 3 month for a single person.
Here an ambulance was $40,but that's a few years ago and as maybe everyone knows,we in Ontario will also be paying healthcare premiums,just another tax,I would say.
I was always 100%Liberal,but I think I'll vote for the Green Party this time around
Old June 4th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Alberta's min. wage is $5.90

A decent apt. downtown Calgary will run ya anywhere from $700 - $1500 (luxury suites obviously). We rent a 2 bdrm house for $650 in an older neighbourhood but its close to the river!!! Brick's favourite place!!

Alberta only pays 7% taxes (GST) as we are fortunate to not have to pay provincial sales tax - and if we travel to other provinces and purchase stuff there, we can claim the provincial sales taxes that we paid there, and get reimbursed!! But then again, if Klein gets voted back in, who knows what will happen...the man is a menace........disgusting!! I will stop there.....
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old June 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM

$5.90 an hour????? That's incredible! Incredibly low that is! Do you find that lots of places actually pay that wage? I guess they would. Many businesses will always resort to the lowest common denominator. I can't imagine anyone living anywhere living for that wage.

I believe the min wage in BC is around $9/hr, but can't say for sure.

My new boss told me the other day that he believes everyone from the neck down is worth at least $10 an hour. I thought that was a great line.
Old June 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM

PS Catt...Go flames go!
Old June 5th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Billy-Bob.minimum wage here in Ontario used to be $6.95 and I think now it's a little over $7,but that is why we have soo many food-banks,people just cannot live on minimum wage.....but some have to.
I agree $10 should be min,but then all those CEO's would not get their millions in pay and bonuses.
GO FLAMES GO!!!
Old June 5th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

i have always felt really sorry for the american people, now i only get this form tv and other people (have never been there), but i heard that they dont have any medical coverge paid by the government, and that insurance must be either paid for by individual or covered under wages. that would be jsut terrible, do you have any form of free medical treatment?? seems a bit harsh if you ask me. here we have a system called medicare, it is ok, you get free pubic treatment in hospitals and some dental, you also get a part repayment for doctor cost if you are not on a welfare payment (public dentists are often students ect, oh have i suffered at their hands) and if you earn over $50k you will have to pay a big percentage to medicare, os at this point most go private. although my local hospital has mysteriously killed 23 helathy people in the past 2 years so i would rather take my chances at home anyway.
our minimum wage is around $9 for an adult, a teenager can still get $6 an hour ( double $us = 1 $AU)and we have a government sales tax (ha) that places 10% on most items.
our rent- i have a 3 bedroom house with good backyard, $225 per week, $900pm. that is pretty standard they can go alot higher and some a little lower in the small country towns, i know in sydney centre and surrounding suburbs an apartment goes for around $400-$600 per week for a standard (and that is nothing fnacy), so $1600-$2000 a month. i think it is a joke they are so expensive and i worry often that sydney will swollow itself, you should see house prices, .
in the state of queensland australia the med services are great as they are funded bythe state lottery, always money there.
now lets not talk the price of tertairy eucation, the government like to give huge loans, boy i am never going to give back my $35000 in a hurry, and i hope to have printed on my grave, proudly, nothing but 'died with her hecs debt' .
is the canadian dollar very different to the US, and does it cause big probs at the boarder?? and i know that canada is metric and the USA not, so does this cause major confusion??
Old June 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Chico, I haven't lived in Ontario for about 10 years but I thought it was higher than that now? Then again I was surprised about Alberta too so what do I know. Wow, that's brutal. With regard to the food banks, having been a poverty advocate in the past I came across a number of people who actually had problems with the fact that they existed. In principle that is. People shouldn't have to go and get food from a food bank, they should be able to pay for their food themselves. That should be a right. Now before anyone freaks, understand I don't necessarily agree with this theory. However, the logic continues further. If you've frequented a food bank recently, you know that in order to get anything (at least this is the way it is in Vancouver), you have to register. In order to register, you must be able to provide them with a piece of picture ID, and proof of your receiving welfare. Now if you have your stuff together like that, one should reasonably be able to be expected to buy your own food. So...the arguement is that food banks simply further your state of poverty by enabling it to continue.

Again, just a theory. My problem with the food bank is that someone who is truly homeless and destitute may have problems because they don't have picture ID (can't afford it) or have proof of welfare status because they don't have proof of residency, thus no welfare. That's basically the way welfare works in BC. There are obviously more complications in there that I haven't gone through but that's the nutshell version. Many theories to consider. I haven't totally decided on one yet.

Melanie my dear you have opened up a can of worms that could spread a mile wide. I'm not 100% sure, but it sounds like you described the medical system in the US pretty well. But again, I don't know what I'm talking about since everything I know about it is from TV as well. While Canada does have great medical services, ask any Canadian at this point and they will tell you it's going to be a major factor in our upcoming election. At least that's the way it's being painted in the media. The costs of medical services in Canada appears to have gone completely out of control and probably won't exist the way it is now for long. I haven't got a clue as to what we should do to fix it, but everyone who knows anything about economics tells me our system is seriously flawed.

What you said about rent is pretty much the same here. You move to big urban centres and you are going to pay huge amounts of rent. Downtown Vancouver apartments are brutally expensive. I couldn't even afford a 400sq. foot bachelor apartment down there.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference in the dollar is today. I think a Canadian dollar is worth about 75 cents American. somewhere around there. Not too many problems at the border. You just pay duty and taxes on everything all over again. The metric system difference doesn't seem to create too many problems. Not that I'm aware of anyway.