Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
geexcess geexcess is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
Question Nasal infection, antibiotics help but don't cure

Max has had a nasal problem for 8 months or so. At its worst he snorts and sniffs and occasionally sneezes blood. We have had xrays at the height of his problems and there is some kind of inflammation in both sides but probably not cancer as there is no bone damage. He has lived in two separate locations and two separate households in the same city, so it probably isn't environmental.

Antibiotics bring down the inflammation and clear his breathing within a few days. 10 days after he stops taking the meds his problems begin to return. We have had him on long courses (last one 6 weeks) of clavamox but the infection comes back in much the same timeframe regardless of the course length.

When sick he still eats, sleeps, poops and plays normally, he just snores and snorts more. We have a good vet but I am stuck for things to ask or suggest and we are just going to put him on another long course - which is better than him having him sneezing blood but it is twice a day trauma and slows him down a lot.

Any ideas as to what it might be or what I might ask the vet to do before we put him back on antibiotics, so they might be more successful.

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM
pitgrrl's Avatar
pitgrrl pitgrrl is offline
Senior Contributor
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MTL
Posts: 1,199
Have you tried getting a second opinion?
I'm not trying to suggest that your vet isn't excellent, different vets have just had different experiences. I've even had my regular vet refer me to someone else when she's not getting any answers, just for a new view of the problem.
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 01:47 PM
geexcess geexcess is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
I'd be happy to do that but I feel I need to be smarter before I do. If I don't know more then I wont know if the new vet is any more likely to help than Max's current vet - then I'm just playing vet roulette which isn't fun for Max.

If I can find out more about the problem space, then I can at least make a decent judgement about the advice of another vet - which hopefully this forum can help with...
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
phoozles's Avatar
phoozles phoozles is offline
proud to be a cat slave
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 1,420
The only thing I would recommend is maybe getting Max on some L-Lysine - a good immune system supplement that might make a difference.
Taken over by:

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
mummummum's Avatar
mummummum mummummum is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Hammer
Posts: 8,534
The sneezing blood makes me think fungal infection or cancer but, you say occasionally so that tells me the blood may just be a result of sneezing too hard. Yes?

I'm then wondering about nasal mites or a foreign body that has become lodged. Neither would necessarily show up in an Xray, particularly if there was existing inflammation at the time.

A CT scan is usually more definitive ~ the nose, with all it's nooks and crannies is a hard thing to read from an Xray. A CT scan will also help you eliminate cancer as the cause.

But, a rhinoscope (tube up the nose) might be a good idea before paying out the big $$$ for a CT scan and may tell you whether there is a foreign body there wasn't seen on the Xrays, the main site of a fungal infection and may tell you whether there is the possibility of cancer.

The other thing, (yes, I know this is gross ~ so stop reading already!) ~ what colour is the discharge? Both sides? That will tell you alot about what it might be.

If it's fungal, it's possible that Clavamox (a good broad spectrum antibiotic) just isn't hitting the target ~ has he been on different antibiotics or just Clavamox?
Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:41 PM
geexcess geexcess is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
He's only been on Clavamox. The inflammation is both sides and his discharge is pretty clear. The blood is almost certainly as a result of him sneezing hard and rupturing blood vessels in the nose - the blood is very bright and fresh.

We are going to knock him out, scope and flush his nose to get a culture on Tuesday - hopefully the culture will answer the fungus and other questions and we can find a more targeted approach. His nose is very small and even this is going to be pretty intrusive for him.

If we don't get a tighter answer with this, then I guess we'll have to CT him - but I'll wait a while for that - don't want to knock him out too many time, too close together.

It has always seemed reassuring to me that the antibiotics worked to clear up the inflammation, if not totally kill the infection. Seemed to me that if it were cancer, they would have little or no effect on the tumor. But then again I could just be fooling myself with that.
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 08:47 PM
sjmc sjmc is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
Nasal Issue

Hi, I'm having some of the same symptoms in my dog and am having a hard time getting it resolved. I've taken multiple x-rays of head and throat, ran bloodwork, tried various antibiotics, etc. (I work for a Vet- unfortunatly we don't have an endoscope or MRI capabilities) My dog's nose bleeds on the right side frequently but not from sneezing. She sounds "snarky" from the drainage but is perfectly fine in every other way. X-rays show inflammation but no bone damage, still I fear some sort of cancer. I am now trying Baytril in hopes it is a tough fungal/bacterial infection and not the latter. This is truly frustrating for us and the poor dogs. Please let me know what you find out. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 09:34 PM
geexcess geexcess is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
I'll let you know how next weeks tests work out - I hope your dog feels better soon. The lack of bone damage is a clear sign of not cancer - or at least so our vet says - just thinking about that keeps me awake at night, so I know how worrying it is.

Max, always a love sponge, is even more snuggly as he gets a little sicker prior to the tests - not sure what his upper limit of affection is but as it is all I can do, he is getting lots of love...

Fungal has been on our list - hope the cultures show one way or the other - good luck with the meds and let us know if they work.

Hang in there
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM
geexcess geexcess is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
Quick update - the sinus flush wasn't a great success. We didn't get a lot of infection flushed out but he did bleed quite a bit. Vet is going to culture what we got - have every finger known to mankind crossed, which is making typing harder than usual .

We have him back on Clavamox until the culture comes back - probably going to be referred to feline nose specialist to looking to rhinitis and perhaps surgery although, having had that myself, I'm not sure it is something he'll enjoy.

I'm still confused why the antibiotic makes him so much better while he's taking it but 10 days after coming off he back with breathing issues. It's almost like the Clavamox is acting like an anti-inflammatory. Anyone got any idea where I could read up on rhinitis, inflammation and anti-biotics?
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,769
Have allergies been a consideration?
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM
JaniceC JaniceC is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4
Nasal problem

I don't know if nasal steroids are used in dogs but it's worth asking your vet. Many times inflammation is due to allergies (they can be to anything, anywhere) and sometimes just some nasal steroids can bring the inflammation down. Also, if it is an infection, which you indicated with the use of Clavamox, it's possible that it's chronic if it hasn't cleared. I do know that sinus infections in humans need to be treated for 14 days so maybe your pup wasn't treated long enough.
Also, try moistening the air with a cool mist humidifier to see if that helps.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
groundwire's Avatar
groundwire groundwire is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: O'Fallon Missouri
Posts: 25
I wish I had answers, I have the same problem with my baby. She just gets snot running out her nose .I have tried the Byndril, Steroids , Antibiotics, Xrays of her nose. It show a mass. As much as I hate to say it, Just do the scope. It could tell you alot. I have gotten 3 opinions and they all say something differant. Some times Matsi sounds like a Snotasaurus, then clear snot then pink snot ,now it is getting more red. She gets her Scope on Wednesday Morning. I am scared to dealth, So doctors have said Cancer, Some say she snorted something up there. The Scope is expensive but I really dont care about the cost, I love her that much and pray Wednesday comes out ok. Dont drive your self crazy wondering what it is. I have done it, it will drive you CRAZY. Just go for it. I would probly go to a Vet school or find a Speicalist, all the regular vets are gonna do is tell you to go there anyway.. So save your self a little cash and go straight there. Good luck and I pray it all works out for you. I will keep my eyes open for great news. Think Postiive
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.