Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 1st, 2004, 01:56 PM

Question Male dog pees on front legs

I have recently adopted a rescued male whippet (~3-4 years old). He is doing very well, but he apparently never learned to urinate correctly. He will lift his leg to mark trees and such, but he walks away before he is finished urinating. I can usually catch him doing this and will hold his leg in place and keep him still until I say "Okay" and release and praise him. However, he will sometimes (about once per walk) just sort of make a feeble attempt at bending his back legs and he then squirts all over his belly and front legs. I try to stop him midstream and get him to lift his leg, but he just doesn't seem to notice that he is peeing on himself. I rinse or wash him off after walks, which he is beginning to tolerate, but I would LOVE not to have to do this.

I don't know his history before his abandonment, so he may not have been properly socialized, or he may have been left in a cage for long periods of time where soiling himself was just a necessity. He is scheduled for neutering this month, but I don't think this will solve his lack of leg-lifiting problem.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can train him to urinate more properly?

Thanks!
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Just be glad he's not doing this in the house, which many intact males do!

Some sighthounds, like greyhounds, have such heavily muscled thighs that they are not able to lift their leg. My greyhound could not, and would just stretch his back legs out like a horse to pee, but you say your dog can so that's good.

You may be right that he was kept in dirty conditions, or not given time to finish peeing.

I would just keep on with what you are doing. When he lifts his leg on a tree, don't let him move until he's finished, then praise and even give him a treat if he doesn't pee on himself.

If he starts peeing while walking, or on himself, startle him with a "NO! YUCK!!!" and lift his leg for him. Since he's 3 or 4, this could take awhile, so you must be patient and never punish for this.

I have no other suggestions - maybe someone else does

Have you had him checked out for any possible urinary tract infections?
Old June 15th, 2004, 08:04 PM

Might give him a try with other male dogs on walks. I just say that because you don't know what his background is and he might not have had much previous contact with other males. It's weird the things they learn from each other. Bob used to only pee on bushes, poles, trees, etc. Vertical things. Then a while back we were walking with another male dog for an afternoon and this little guy would pee on patches of long grass by just squatting on it. Now Bob has a brand spankin' new way of peein'! Seems to enjoy himself.
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Den-Den was 4yo before he learned to lift his leg! Then he watched my brothers dog and you could watch him giving it a try. He still squats when he really has to go, but lifts his leg when he wants to leave his calling card.
Old June 19th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Chocolate

I wouldnt' worry about it!

Chocolate was almost 3yrs old b4 he started lifting his leg to pee on a regular basis!

every other day or so, he's still too lazy to lift his leg, and he's a big boy!

and yes, he trinkles as well.

lmao, he's even peed on HONEY -- imagine that!!!! (she walked under him as he was peeing, LMAOOOOOO)