Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 31st, 2004, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Gas Prices??

What are gas prices where everyone is???

Here in Calgary it is about 88.5 cents a litre!! UGH!! Highest its ever been!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:42 PM

Went up over a buck a liter here in Vancouver a week or two ago. Now it's back down to about 95-99 cents depending on where you get it. So glad to have a Civic hatchback rather than the old Chevy Caprice. But I loved that car. I still miss driving a land boat sometimes.
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:52 PM

Bill,

While I don't normally pay too much attention to gas prices (I walk to work so go through about a tank a month so it really doesn't matter what the fuel efficiency is on my car or what the price of gas is) drive to Aldergrove/Abbotsford where it was 87.9 on the weekend (my parents live near there so this is why I know this...)

Michelle
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:00 PM

Yeah, I've always heard that the Abbotsford area is cheaper for gas. I had a friend of mine who had a big SUV who would drive out there to fill up. Couldn't figure that one out. He probably burned as much gas as he saved.

Same thing with me. Don't usally pay much attention. The other day I tried and couldn't remember when the last time I put gas in the car was. I drive so little that my battery light in the car is coming on. Alternator isn't having enough time to charge the battery. Maybe I need to take a long drive out to the Valley.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:10 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I paid $2.13 a gallon the other day. A friend told me yesterday he is paying $4.10 per gallon for aviation 100LL fuel at the Ocala airport. Because of the high cost of fuel my neighbor sold his 4 month old Hummer. Bummer, I didn't get a chance to drive it.
I have always been an advocate for alternative fuels....hydrogen is a must, it is enviroment friendly and has many other advantages too. But thanks to the big oil company's, progress in using hydrogen fuels has been squashed for my lifetime.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:16 PM

99.9 right now
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Around 95 cents here. For you Americans, that's nearly 4$ a gallon.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Around 95 cents here. For you Americans, that's nearly 4$ a gallon.
OUCH!!! I can't like that much.....How do you guy's handle this???
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:05 PM

Talking I'm paying $2.14 a gallon-no end in sight

In Michigan I'm paying $2.14 a gallon and driving 140 miles a day round trip to and from my office.
My Olds 98 is not too bad on gas considering most of my driving is highway and 50-70 MPH. I get about 18-20 MPG. Still not cheap but there is no alternative, until I retire. My wife drives a new Silverado 4 X 4 pickup truck - it's a beast on gas. She is retired and doesn't drive except to shop and yard saling but still eats up a tank a week. I don't know what we actually spend on fuel a month since I never see the bills-she handles all that stuff.
Although it has to be at least $130.00 a week, on average.
Luckily, it is not a major issue in our budget process. I do not know how people on a tight budget or fixed income do it.
A lot of truckers are going out of business due to the increasing cost of fuel and even many of the lawn cutting services are losing their profit margin and then some.
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:38 PM

I am also scared about the rising cost of fuel because of my job. Rv's , especially the big Motor homes like a Prevost or bus can suck down many $$$ in fuel to get to point "B", meaning me. Now most people who can afford this luxery are not too worried about fuel cost. I have seen too many worried customers lately.
Since 9/11 more people are traveling by ground. Granted...I cannot blame them since I am also in aviation. This was a boost for the travel by ground industry. This has justified my job so far.
I am scared. Our season will not start again until late October or even late December.
I do not like my job but I'm good at it and I see to Ciara's needs at will. If I lose my job I have to move too. I have no place to go...

I am still hoping the June 3rd date will stick to the target. Get out of Iraq, I know we will have many left there & I understand this...I am behind this war, it was needed. Now we need to fix ourselves. Every thing else should fall in place...
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:34 PM

88.9 here Catt! Now I don't feel so bad about our prices.
Okay its now Wed. and gas here has jumped to 93.9 a litre.

Oooh Karin stay away from the war or politics in general.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chany
88.9 here Catt! Now I don't feel so bad about our prices.

Oooh Karin stay away from the war or politics in general.
Okay! Thanks for the good advice.
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Well guys,we paid 78,9 cents/liter today,I guess that's our new low
Old June 1st, 2004, 02:28 AM
Senior Contributor

fuel is very expensive here, but there is no point giving numbers as we have litres and kilometers, not gallons and miles and i would have no idea what they are (gallons or miles that is, phased out a very long time ago with feet and inches we were never taught those measurements at school), i also use high octane fuel (98) for effeciency and environmental benefits. oil is at an all time high at the moment, but i dont mind paying huge fuel cost as i think it about time we started to pay properly for such valuable and irriplacable resources, the best thing is that people may just use fuel and resources and such a little more wisely and industry may just start to invest some real money into alternative fuel and energy. biodesil is the best alternative fuel at the moment in my opinion, it uses waste oils to produce a fuel that is very good for cars and even better for the environment with very little pollutants and is very effecient. it may just be that the years of endless resource use/waste may be over finally and people will be held accountable for their resource use and what a better way than to hit the hip pocket. as far as hydrogen, well there are numerous problems there, one of the biggest is fill up stations and energy life, it is not a totally green fuel and does realease pollution and water vapor, not good stuff. but a start none the less.
leave the iraq war totally out of this board, some of us dont agree and feel strongly about it and i would hate to go there
Old June 1st, 2004, 07:08 AM

In Newfoundland it is $1.04 per litre. And it is expected to be up to $1.50-$1.75 by September!!
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

so i am back to elaborate, i didnt give much detail and i dont want anyone walking away with the wrong idea. or to think that there is no point to renewables. (i apologise for length now but it is necessary)
so hydrogen will be the fuel of the future, in 50yrs we should all be driving hydrogen vehicles or the majority will anyway. hydrogen currently is sourced for two areas -

-hydrogen can be sourced from coal gassification, yes this will release hydrogen and is cheap but releases mass amounts of carbon dioxide - not good- and relies on a coal which is a limited fossil fuel, pretty dumb idea that one, the idea of these fuels is to stop reliance on fossil fuels which will run pretty low in the next 30-50yrs and then we will really be paying top dollar .
-hydrogen can come from splitting a water atom, hydrogen is stored and oxygen released, this will result in water vapor being released as the ONLY pollutant, this could be very dangerous, if everyone in the world with a car was releasing alot of water vapor it has the potential to cause climatic changes on a wide scale. BUT that vapor can be trapped in its liquid state and stored onboard the car till relaease in a sound manner at a later time, this raises the issue of technology as there would be alot of question of car weights, storage and carrying capacities ect. the hydrogen engine requires precious metals in some engine plates, NOT good as the is another of our precius resources we need to conserve but may be our best solution. there are currently trials in germany of fueling stations and the cars. this raises the question of what about the resources needed to make the cars, you cannot convert a normal car, you require a new one, so that means all the cars we have now made from precious resources need to be replaced by cars made from more resources (but they have designed some neat materials for building cars that are made from recycled materials). the biggest problem, the expense of it all, governments will prefer to take the cheaper more dangerous solutions and are not keen on funding research and development of technoligies. and what government wants to tell its people that they must be a bit more responsible and pay fairly for what they take form the planet, not many..

so hydrogen is our future, but not for a while so dont hold your breath for it in the next 15 years. oh and clean water is very precious so i wonder will we be able to use grey (waste) water instead??

biodesil- requires a desiel vehicle or engine. well that is a possibility for many. dose have some particulate polution but only sml amounts compared to current pollution from cars. biodesil can be made in your backyard out of wast oils such as fish and chip oil (no it doesnt smell when used). some people are already doing this and our local government has been doing a trial on garbage trucks run on the stuff, it is looking good.

petrol hybrids- this is currently a very good solution for a immeadiate solution. a petrol hybrid is a car that uses petrol but also traps energy created in motion (such as breaking or going down hill). the car will store that energy and use it along with the fuel for extreme effeciency and as we all know energy does not cause pollution. this is a very good one on my eyes as many people are not keen to use energy sources they dont know or have not relied on for 50yrs. so it would be easier to convince people to use a hybrid as they still get to use their precious petrol.

But what it all comes down to is this, the planet on which you and me reside is slowly dying. we have sucked the guts out of her (literally) and she cannot sustain this treatment. coal and oil are fossil fuels, it takes hundreds of thousands of years for them to develop and is not like a tree that continues to grow, these resources are extremely finite and will not last much longer. current predictions show that our fossil fuel use can only be sustained for the next 20-30yrs and then we are stuffed. if we do not change our behaviour dramatically the environment will be in extreme irriversible danger within 50yrs and as humans reliant on the envrironment so will we, it is really time for us to change dramatically before it is too late.

so please consider what you are doing before you drive to the shops ect, walk and save your own life literally, it is just really scary that people are not taking this situation seriously, our grandchildren will have a hell of a time dealing with our problems and will hate us for it and think us the stupidest people. it is funny as humans seem to think and act like they own the planet and have rights to it, such as rights to unlimited water supply or unlimited fuel as long as you pay for it. but in truth we are owned by the planet, without its generous support we would simply not be here, you gotta give some to get some. food for thought.

PS i found out last night that canada was metric and USA not, im sorry, i thought you all were the same, boy that must cause problems at the boarder. so for all you metric babies (sorry pre metric babies, i am metric only) our fuel is currently AU$1.10 per litre for great effecient fuel. normal crappy fuel about AU$1.05 litre. so that wold be nearly doubled in US dollars.

PPS there are some great economic and effecient fuels out there that are good for car and environment, and will get you alot more distance for your dollar (caltex gold, bp ultimate, and many more, anything with a octane rating of 98 is perfect for your car and you will be saving $$$). just ask at the petrol station the octane rating and they will tell you their highest (and for you gals, it makes you sound really mechanically minded and smart when you ask, men always act surprised that i know my fuel ratings ).
Old June 1st, 2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Ouchhh!!! I guess we won't be going to the East coast for our honeymoon next summer!!! And here I am whining about 85 cents!! Yikers!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:22 PM

Question for Melanie...

Please tell us just how much experience you have with Hydrogen fuel as a alternative resource? And please add also your experience with the emission factors... I would love to hear your side, not quoted from a web page. Not intending on coming off as cruel, I truely want to be educated here..
Hydrogen fuel weighs less than .58th's a pound per gallon.
hydrogen also doubles the Hp of any engine..burns clean.., pistons, rings and cylinders show no scoring nor damage of any kind after over 1000 hours of rpms at 2200 or better.
All Nuclear power plants are equipted to manufacturer Hydrogen at any time, they shut down by 70% , this time can be used for production...but there has to be a market for the fuel.
Hydrogen fuel's only emission is steam, water..one of the ingredients of this harmless fuel source. Water, copper are a few other natural ingredients..
I can go on...Hydrogen has been wrongly blamed for many years for the Hindenburg accident.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:50 AM
Senior Contributor

well HELLO there

oh dear karin, i think a comment in a previous post about your stupid, ridiculous war may have just put you off me and made you a little cranky, it is ok, i understand people like you more than you may think and i feel sorry for you, but truly i dont mind. i did not quote that from a web site (looks like you did though ) but half from memory and half from my husband (and memory from that as we had discussed it earlier and he wasnt with me at the time). and most NORMAL well informed individuals have a grasp of the issues mentioned in post. oh, we are both environmental scientist (one with honors and one with masters) and i will happily send you a few photocopies of our all degrees, actually i think i have extras that my mum left behind....my husband also work in the field of renewable energy. shall i go on or would you like me to run for the posty and mail you the documents you need, perhaps i just shouldnt even bother, . oh dear it seems that sometimes in the LOGICAL and SANE world, we individuals can actually have a different opinion to others,mine might be right, it might be wrong but it is an opinion and that is why where all here. i wasnt being a bitch in my previous post, i was attempting to elaborate on what i previously said, i didnt want to make hydrogen look bad so i thought i would try and explain a bit betta.... obviously i wasnt clear enough.......i had no ill intention....nuclear power, dont go there as i dont agree on that one either. oh and water vapor can actually be a pollutant, in massive amounts it can be a dangerous pollutant could cause climatic changes, ooops silly me, i was talking to you about the environment and then i remember the nuclear power thing so i just wont bother. but it is truly ok, i know why you are cranky, the whole comment thing from my previous post, its ok. i really understand.....
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
oh dear karin, i think a comment in a previous post about your stupid, ridiculous war may have just put you off me and made you a little cranky, it is ok, i understand people like you more than you may think and i feel sorry for you, but truly i dont mind. i did not quote that from a web site (looks like you did though ) but half from memory and half from my husband (and memory from that as we had discussed it earlier and he wasnt with me at the time). and most NORMAL well informed individuals have a grasp of the issues mentioned in post. oh, we are both environmental scientist (one with honors and one with masters) and i will happily send you a few photocopies of our all degrees, actually i think i have extras that my mum left behind....my husband also work in the field of renewable energy. shall i go on or would you like me to run for the posty and mail you the documents you need, perhaps i just shouldnt even bother, . oh dear it seems that sometimes in the LOGICAL and SANE world, we individuals can actually have a different opinion to others,mine might be right, it might be wrong but it is an opinion and that is why where all here. i wasnt being a bitch in my previous post, i was attempting to elaborate on what i previously said, i didnt want to make hydrogen look bad so i thought i would try and explain a bit betta.... obviously i wasnt clear enough.......i had no ill intention....nuclear power, dont go there as i dont agree on that one either. oh and water vapor can actually be a pollutant, in massive amounts it can be a dangerous pollutant could cause climatic changes, ooops silly me, i was talking to you about the environment and then i remember the nuclear power thing so i just wont bother. but it is truly ok, i know why you are cranky, the whole comment thing from my previous post, its ok. i really understand.....
Oh good grief!

..and you say I'm cranky? Your post sounds more like a childhood tantrum.

Get a grip...I am not the one trying to start a pissing match here.

I am not quoting from any web site, only from experience.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Gas here is $1.99 a gallon here in IN. it can go as high as $2.49. It goes back and forth and up and down.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

gas

2.15 in phoenix,arizona....
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

oh im sorry, you did tell me to give you further details, well you got them, oh but that wasnt what you wanted to hear was it. and now i think about it, thank you for the compliment. at first i was offended that someone would say i cut and paste, but then it hit me, it was supposed to be a compliment, see i think it is lovely that you think my expression and writing is so good, it must be, if you thought i was copying it. i will send a copy to my supervisor, he will be impressed. its ok, like i said i truly understand your type......and dont bother replying, i dont want to start anything with you. you started this by being condesending and down right rude in your post, but then that is too be expected from your type also...
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:58 PM

Melanie..I just tried a response but it was so long, I was cut short.

Nut shell., I have not used any hostilty towards you. You have been "hell bent" since I made a post about your spay/neuter ideals..now you are hell bent ..

I welcome a healthy debate...please re read all of your posts....scary..

I have worked with hydrogen fuel....gas and liquid form. I am proud to have been a team member on a pioneering crew that has paved history on the uses of hydrogen fuel..and all other alternate fuel sources....

From what I read you are way out of bounds...

Read again what you did post...
Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

lol you say you were not being hostile well
and i quote '... I would love to hear your side, not quoted from a web page. Not intending on coming off as cruel, I truely want to be educated here..' and what the hell is that, yes you were very nasty and down right rude, but what more could i expect.

in your post you were deliberatly trying to be mean and nasty oh and my previous political comment pissed you off remember. i dont actually remember being cranky with you for the spaying thing, i actually asked if you were a vet out of interest, but i dont think you took it that way. you had said you desexed duncan- i was just wondering out of general interest nothing else, but then again you seem to be a bit jumpy. no, i think we both know what comment i made that upset you. stop being such a redneck and just stay away from me, you are just trying to be a bully. if you dont have anything nice to say, dont bother saying anything at all.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 06:54 PM

Again Melanie, you are out of bounds.....your immaturity is shining through.

I see no need in calling names...I am a little too old for your type of childish antics.

Re read your posts...the ones you have not deleted of course. The proof is there.
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Nice argument!!!

List of people who care:

Old June 4th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

LMAO Darkseeker!!!! I'm really sorry I asked a simple question....didn't think it would turn out like this. I was just curious what gas prices were around Canada!! Ooppss!! Silly me!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:33 PM

Wow, I paid $2.31 for 87 in california. The price of gas is getting out of hand
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Chocolate

wow... another great reason as to why I should NOT hurry in getting my G1